Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are just about to buy our first E. How good is the 4WD system? Is it worth the extra bucks? We get some pretty heavy winter weather here in Maine and I have to get around due to my job. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Extremely worth it if you have to drive in snow and ice. Six years and I have yet to be stuck or stranded in harsh Northern Minnesota winters. You have to have good tyres though. Ditch the Badyear Wronglers right away and put anything round , black and shiny on your wheels and you will be set.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I live in Oregon where we get more rain than snow and ice and I just could not bring myself to go front wheel drive. One thing for sure is it won't hurt to have it.:)

·
Registered
155 Posts
i went thru the same thing when i was buying my car, and i have to tell you that i would go with the type of weather you experience predominantly to determine whether you need AWD or FWD.

since i see you are in main, obviously your winter conditions are more severe than the ones i see here in ohio. the average snow fall in your area probably dwarfs mine.

going into all those factors, i would definitely look at the AWD function

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. It makes the buying decision a little easier. I'll be sure to post my experiences after we buy.

·
Registered
191 Posts
We live in upstate NY and have an 06 AWD MT. We never had a problem in snow or with the stock tires. I just replaced the OEM tires with a new set of Nokian WRG2 tires. They are much better in the rain. Unless you are climbing mountains in Maine, I'd bet the E AWD will be just fine.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I live in a area with very steep hills 16% and even in heavy snow the E dues great with the 4X4. I use a set of studded tires and so far never had to use any other traction devices.:)

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Jump on in, the waters fine

get the AWD

·
Registered
155 Posts
people lose their minds here in cincy as well but my take on it was this:

i have driven in the snow with FWD for the last 13 years of my life, and i can count the handful of times that i was unable to get somewhere(and all those times, the city was shut down anyway, so i call it a wash). not sure i'm willing to have the awd options JUST in case it does get bad, 1 or 2 days out of the year.

i'm not trying to start a pissing contest, i just think everyone gets worked up over AWD when really, its not a true necessity in most markets.

but that's just me :) no offense intended:cool:

·
Registered
189 Posts
people lose their minds here in cincy as well but my take on it was this:

i have driven in the snow with FWD for the last 13 years of my life, and i can count the handful of times that i was unable to get somewhere(and all those times, the city was shut down anyway, so i call it a wash). not sure i'm willing to have the awd options JUST in case it does get bad, 1 or 2 days out of the year.

i'm not trying to start a pissing contest, i just think everyone gets worked up over AWD when really, its not a true necessity in most markets.

but that's just me :) no offense intended:cool:
I for one like to have AWD when I need it, it's better than needing it and not having it. Also down the road when you go to sell it you pretty much get what you pay for AWD back in added value. So it's FREE:razz: Other than the little you loose in mileage.....just my 2 cents!:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts