Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I just bought a backup blank key for my 2007 Element (newly purchased) and was wondering if I need to go to a dealership to get it cut.

I do have the immobilizer system (green icon in dash).

What should I expect to pay?

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
557 Posts
I don't know what Honda charges but the rate to get it cut and chipset, is usually around $60 if you already have the key. SOme hardware stores do chip-setting and laser cutting now.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
The dealer will need to program the key's chip, or it won't start your E. Doubt if you will find a third-party that will be able to program the key.

·
Retired.
12,183 Posts
The dealer will need to program the key's chip, or it won't start your E. Doubt if you will find a third-party that will be able to program the key.

There are a growing number of products on the market from cloning the transponder codes in keys.(Available for professional use only).

if you don't want to hit the dealer you should be able to find a locksmith in you area that can reprogram the keys.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
If you were in my area and were to call me I would charge you $75 to come out to you, cut and program your key. You might be able to find it cheaper if you took it somewhere, we're mobile only.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
There are a growing number of products on the market from cloning the transponder codes in keys.(Available for professional use only).

if you don't want to hit the dealer you should be able to find a locksmith in you area that can reprogram the keys.
Interesting. Would have thought for security, manufactureres wouldn't allow that. I know for a MINI Cooper, the Factory has to authorize the Dealer to reprogram the key, and you have to Fax MINI USA your Title/Registration paperwork first. And a Dealer that does it without getting Factory OK, goes on "probation" and can no longer order key replacements, until they provide all the paperwork on any key re-programming they did without the OK. Took me three months to get a key replacement for a "dead" key for my MINI Cooper, as my Dealer was on probation at the time ;-)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the replies!

I got the key cut and programmed today at a local dealer, Honda of Ardmore.
They charge $49.50 total.

Interesting note:
I called a couple Ace Hardware's and no dice. Then called a different Honda dealer closest to me. They quoted $110-$125 for new key/cut and programming. When I mentioned I already had a key and asked what the charge would then be, dealer said $125. I laughed and asked why straight to $125 ?? He said nothing. Jackass.

Then called Honda of Ardmore and got the $49.50 quote. I went right out there. Honesty pays. I now found the dealership I want to deal with in the future.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Thanks all for the replies!

I got the key cut and programmed today at a local dealer, Honda of Ardmore.
They charge $49.50 total.

Interesting note:
I called a couple Ace Hardware's and no dice. Then called a different Honda dealer closest to me. They quoted $110-$125 for new key/cut and programming. When I mentioned I already had a key and asked what the charge would then be, dealer said $125. I laughed and asked why straight to $125 ?? He said nothing. Jackass.

Then called Honda of Ardmore and got the $49.50 quote. I went right out there. Honesty pays. I now found the dealership I want to deal with in the future.
awesome! Yeah, the ace over here does it, maybe none of the others do at the moment. As long as it's done. I hate when dealers don't answer questions to skip an explanatin of why they're rediculous. This place sounds like a decent dealer... so far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts