Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,
I told you that I would get up a thread this weekend about getting rid of the popping of the KSports up front, and can be used for other systems as well.

Adding a thrust bearing like the one below will give the coil freedom to spin on the perch unlike the plastic "bearings" KSport gives you which work for about 100 miles.

Once you have your thrust bearings, grab a old tupperware container and lay JUST the bearings, not the races, in the container of your choice and pour in just enough CHAIN SAW OIL to cover them up and let them soak for a hour or so. DO NOT USE GREASE!!!! If I get one reponse that says hey insane, why are my springs popping after 2 days again, and I am gonna ask what lubrication you used and your gonna say something like white lithium grease and I am gonna slap you through the screen!!!! Please, ONLY USE CHAIN SAW OIL!!! Why you ask, because it is made with a rust inhibitor and the way it is designed, small stones, dirts, and such road debri will not stick to it as easily as grease, motor oil, wd40, ect.

Once you have the coilover apart, use the stock KSport race and put it on the bottom perch. Next put on the Thrust Bearing as pictured below. Next put on another KSport race. DO NOT LUBE THE RACES IN ANY WAY!!!!

Now you can finish assembling your coilover. as long as you did not move the bottom perches, your alignment will not move, I found these bearings so they would be the same thickness as the stock KSport spring bearings. Below is a photo of it installed.

Enjoy the smooth turning and no popping noise.

For maintinence, I recommend every 3 months, cleaning and relubing the bearing if you drive a lot or live in a sandy or salt state. Now, to make it quick, measure where your bottom perches are, drop them down, clean the area with brake cleaner, put CHAIN SAW OIL in a little $2 lube can from autozone, and squirt it on the bearing only while turning it on the race, wipe off excess, tighten perches back to measured point, should only take 20mins per side, it is good insurance to keep your coilover system in working order for years, not months.

If anyone is interested, I can get these bearing for $40 a set or if I order 5 sets, its $32 a set. Shipping will be cheap. If someone with TEIN's are interested, please measure the diameter of the shock body and the outside diameter of the bottom perch and I will see if they will fit or if I can get bearings to fit.

Later all,

Steve

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
AWESOME!!! Thanks for the cool write up and the pix!!

I havent installed mine yet, still waiting for the stiffer rear springs.

As soon as I get those, I will order a set of these from you!!

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Now why the hell wouldn't they come with the coilovers from the manufacturer. Bad on you K Sport.

Nice find, OP.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Tein uses a rubber spring perch at the bottom to hold the bottom in place while the upper factory plastic bearing does the intended spin as the OEM strut does. As I haven't installed mine yet I can easily get the dimension just for reference, but have no experience if they pop or not yet. I do know bassplayer is struggling with one binding coil issue with his teins (front passenger I believe), but from the pics I saw it looked like the mechanic replace the upper bearing with the wrong part, so might be an easy fix.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Bump! I need to do this, it's irritating pop every time I pull out of my driveway, also don't remember Ksport included some type of plastic bearing.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry guys, been away for awhile. Do not buy the QAL ones from summit as listed above, they failed on me as did the ones I found, after some research, anyone that adds them to KSports has had problems when used on the streets due to all the road grime, if you still install these, install them on the top of the spring, it may help them to not fail a fast or at all. I have just returned my E to stock form and will be selling everything soon.

Later guys,
Steve

·
Registered
143 Posts
Has anyone tried lubing the pillow ball mount? It seems to me that this is where the movement during turning should be so it stands to reason this is where you need the lube.

Also, if you are going to use a thrust bearing, I would try to get one between the top spring hat and the camber plate, this is where it is placed in OEM applications.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'd like to add that apparently the Ksports have a thrust bearing in the top spring hat, it is supposed to have been an update to the original design, I still have noise but was told that my kit was incorrectly shipped without the rubber spring isolators, I will install them once I get them and we will see.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
I'd like to add that apparently the Ksports have a thrust bearing in the top spring hat, it is supposed to have been an update to the original design, I still have noise but was told that my kit was incorrectly shipped without the rubber spring isolators, I will install them once I get them and we will see.
Make sure you take pictures of them before you install them so we can see
what they look like!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts