Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that recently, my 2003 EX has developed some sort of weird electrical issue. It's nothing that I am alarmed about, as it isn't causing performance, economy, or driveability issues... It's just... weird...

Anyway, I notice that sometimes (once every twenty shutdowns, maybe) after I've parked and shifted to park on the auto transmission, I could turn the key off and remove it, but lo and behold, my element would continue to run as if the key were in the 'on' position.

Now, you might think it was some sort of ignition switch issue, but the plot thickens... This only occurs if I've still got my foot on the brake pedal- as soon as I remove it, Ellie shuts down as normal. If I push and release the pedal so that the brakes go on and off, I can hear a very loud click as a relay opens and closes somewhere under the center console dash behind the subwoofer.

I've never heard of a low-amp mechanical relay being so loud, and damn it if it doesn't stop doing it if I yank apart the dash and stick my head under there while someone else depresses the brake.

I have a regular 03 transponder key, the key cylinder and ignition circuitry are fine, and I have no keyless or remote start system. I checked and there is no keyless or remote start circuitry/wiring from a previous owner that I didn't know about. The only mods to the electrical system in Ellie include splices in the door lock/unlock wires for my cellular unlock system, and some power resistors in parallel with my LED taillights. I've had both of these installed for quite some time with no issues.

So... anyone have any ideas on this mystery problem? Maybe Ellie decided that sometimes I need to keep the radio and A/C on while I gather my things and prepare to get out, and she's evolved to do me that favor?

Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Are you sure there is no turbo run-time delay box under the dash going screwy? Many people who have modded turbo's will go the smart route with a delayed engine cut off. There is a very nice spot to hide one of these boxes far under the dash to the left in a little cubby whole. Could you also take a pic of under your dash so we can see if anything looks out of place. Many good mechanics are fabulous at hiding wires (the way it should be) so sometimes the wiring looks stock when it isn't.

If all else fails just make friends with the ghost and ask him to watch you car when your away ;-).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turbo timer

Naah, there's definitely no turbo timer anywhere... And as for under the dash, I'm 100% sure the wiring is stock, minus my few mods. I'm thinking I'll just assume this is some sort of "paranormal security system" and let it go...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts