Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
srry guys, its been eons since ive said ill slap on the damn thing.

alrighty so heres my initial review of the catback from gibson. you get four pieces, I got the aluminized one cause its waaay cheap and i live in california where whats it called again? rust? dunno, ive never seen rust in person, ever, so im not sure if it really exists:rolleyes: but this "rust" doesnt exist here so why buy stainless?.

so i get two pipes, one from converter to muffler, and the other from muffler to end. one muffler, this very bland, silver tube with offset inlet/outlet. and a shiny chrome tip to hide the ugly metal exhaust.

now, as i said in another post, i said id take this to sunny hills highschool and have the lil runts do the grunt work for me... cept sunnyhills has an outdated lift that uses one big hydraulic column from the center and that lil spider on top. since the elements mounting points are actually higher up than the gas tank, they couldnt do it. what a bugger. and since ive put this up for too long, i didnt have the heart to come back to this forum with my tail between my legs to tell you guys, once again, that i did not install it.

so i got 30 bucks, hustled my way to pep boys and got me a roller, two 2 ton jacks and a 2 ton lift then sped back to my garage to get to work.

my car is lowered and i got nerf bars that hang even lower, even with my E raised as high as remotely possible, disregarding all safety measures, i can barely get under the car. its that low. after about 2 hours, 5 cigarettes, much swearing, and 3 cuts, i finally installed it.i need not explain the procedure cause 1, its like lego blocks, reeeaaaaly easy to figure out, and 2, i want you guys to suffer as i have trying to install this muffler from hell.

anyways heres two pics and a link to the video for sound:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2x86bd-pGJg

i got a piss poor excuse for a camera... so srry the sound quality is bad.

this exhaust sounds the best when you turn the key. it just does this quick rev like its trying to say "lets [email protected] DO THIS:evil:!!!"

then when you press the gas, you can tell gibson tried to lose the rice rockety bBBZZZZZZZzzzzzzzeeeewww.. BBBBZZZZZZZEEEEE!!!! sound; and they did do a decent job, but we all know, a four banger will always be a four banger. my E sounds like a small block chevy v6 that got two pistons chopped off.

according to my butt dyno, i am accelerating much faster than before but i dont have quite so much passing power on the freeway as i did before. its a reasonable trade off for me cause i always liked jack-rabbit starts. shut those ****y sti's and evo's up.

ive searched and searched for the dreaded 3000 rpm "drone" and yea, it does start whining at 3000 rpm but, because of the extra kick, i can leave my needle hanging at 2500 rpm and maintain 65 on level road. at 2500, you hear nothing, absolutely nothing. almost as if i didnt change the exhaust at all. so thats good.

something else i noticed is that while rice rockets are just plain loud, the gibson offers a throaty, very bassy tone. not quite (actually very far from) as harmonic and rich as you would get from an old american v6 (mmmmmmmm...... toasty...) but it is definitely a far cry better than what you hear from a bro truck or a rice rocket. i did a drive on beach blvd from fullerton to westminster, i turned alot of heads. much more than the usual . thats a good sign.

the tip i got from gibson is a tad too big n shouty for my tastes, plus, its a good sign that your trying to show off what you got under the hood..... being that its an E, erm. id rather not. i think im just gonna remove it and leave it very much stock looking. actions speak louder than words right?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
honestly, i havnt got the foggiest. but as you can see from the pictures, they are definitely a far cry bigger than the oem pipes.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Not to be mean, but it sounds a lot like the injen that I've heard online also.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
injens is actually quieter and deeper than gibsons and unlike other pockit rockits, they make legit exhaust systems that dont look and sound tacky. same with hks.

and i dont see why i should take offense seeing the injen is bought for 200 bucks extra what i paid for the gibson.

means i got a bargain!:D

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Sounds like a lawn mower:roll: Oh wait that was a lawnmower (in the background) Actually sounds not bad. Good deal....cool

·
Registered
890 Posts
srry guys, its been eons since ive said ill slap on the damn thing.

alrighty so heres my initial review of the catback from gibson. you get four pieces, I got the aluminized one cause its waaay cheap and i live in california where whats it called again? rust? dunno, ive never seen rust in person, ever, so im not sure if it really exists:rolleyes: but this "rust" doesnt exist here so why buy stainless?.
You mean to say that it never rains in Fullerton?! Also, just be glad you don't live near the coast... :rolleyes: Sounds good.

·
Registered
579 Posts
injens is actually quieter and deeper than gibsons and unlike other pockit rockits, they make legit exhaust systems that dont look and sound tacky. same with hks.

and i dont see why i should take offense seeing the injen is bought for 200 bucks extra what i paid for the gibson.

means i got a bargain!:D
Well, the Injen is made with stainless steel... :D

You lose any low-end torque?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nope. i got low end torque. lost hi end torque.

i dunno how it all works out but i noticed i get up to speed much faster. but then it seems my ability to accelerate at freeway speeds has slacked

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Sounds pretty good. Could you post another vid without the background noise?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that minute sputtering you hear; its the exhaust. there isnt any background noise.

the gibson came all greased up n oily and when it got heated, all that oil starts dripping off. that sputtering is from the oil sputtering its way out. the sound gone now though....

and if you hear a sound akin to a lawn trimmers blades rubbing on the bottom plate, thats my injen cai

when it sucks air in, you really hear it sucking. bout 3000 rpm, the cai starts roaring and the sucking goes away.

mixed with gibsons growl, its a symphony orchestra.:D

·
Registered
92 Posts
not to shabby sounds pretty deep:D

post up another vid with you driving it around so we can hear what it sounds like under a load!

·
Registered
371 Posts
hey was the stock muffler inlet and outlets aligned or off set?

-[]- or -[]_
crude i know
but i hope it gets the point accrossed:rolleyes:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
offset. cause the pipe mounts and to the converter are offest.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I'm treating myself to a birthday gift this month and bought the Gibson exhaust. I know I could have got the Injen cat-back, but I want the 'less ricey' sound. Hopefully it'll be in here sometimes early next week.

*UPDATE 3/13/2008*

So the exhaust arrived today, so my buddies and I installed it tonight. Was very simple, although getting the rubber grommets out can be a bitch. Upon turning the key, it sounds more rich (IMHO) than when I modded the stock exhaust w/o the resonator. Low end torque increased, this thing flies and the intake and exhaust emit beautiful harmony (as ieatflux mentioned). The exhaust tip is a tad big, but I put it on anyways.

I will try to get pics up and a video if possible.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts

*UPDATE 3/13/2008*

So the exhaust arrived today, so my buddies and I installed it tonight. Was very simple, although getting the rubber grommets out can be a bitch. Upon turning the key, it sounds more rich (IMHO) than when I modded the stock exhaust w/o the resonator. Low end torque increased, this thing flies and the intake and exhaust emit beautiful harmony (as ieatflux mentioned). The exhaust tip is a tad big, but I put it on anyways.

I will try to get pics up and a video if possible.
Pics Up

The package

Removing the old

The old exhaust

Gibson

Out the back

Tip

Last but not least, the VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc_-7G4HhDQ
:razz:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Looks good. The kit isn't straight bolt on is it? It looks like it took some welding.
No welding, it uses different clamps unlike the Injen one which uses gaskets and bolts.

My E's been turning heads. I went to visit Diamond Honda (formerly Diamond Bar Honda) at their new locations to check out the place and a Ridgeline, the sales reps noticed my E and liked it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I too installed my exhaust today. I need to adjust my connections because the huge tip is too close to the rear bumper, actually vibrating against it at idle. Other than that, I'm really happy with the injen short ram and gibson exhaust combo. They both really complete the SC package.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts