Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a GiES285 switchblade key I purchased from eBay a few weeks ago. It shipped from China so it took a few weeks to show up. Upon opening it I was surprised at the quality of it. For $25 I wasn't sure it would be any good but I took a chance since I don't have the time to track down all the parts to do the TSX key mod. The GiES unit feels sturdy and looks great, very industrial sort of design.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280400217192&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I have to take it to the dealer and get it cut, harvest the chip from one of my other keys and buy another keyless remote to use the guts from. I'll post some updates once I get it all working but at first pass, it looks like a promising alternative for folks looking for an all-in-one key. Below are a few pictures and a short video I took of the key just now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3Y29Wh8e3A

·
Registered
7 Posts
keep us posted. And don't forget to take pictures while doing the chip/transponder replacement/installation on the new key. I am sure a lot of us are interested with this. :)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The guys from GiES just emailed me back with some more info on the key. Attached is the user's manual, forgive the poor English since these are sourced from China.

I'm gonna see if I can get an appointment at the dealer this weekend to get the key cut and programmed. For those that live in the Lansdale, PA area and deal with JL Freed for your service, is there anyone particularly good to deal with in their service department? Every time I go in there they just seem apathetic. The dealer I bought from is too far away since I've moved and I don't like giving my business to JL Freed because of their attitude.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Per the user manual, it's not clear how to transfer the transponder chip from the original key to the GEIS. It only show you how to transfer the remote parts to the GEIS.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Flip Key

Why not just buy the Acura key, which is a genuine Honda part and just have it cut and programed by a Honda dealer ?

The flip key cost is less than $90, with a two button face and shipping.

·
Registered
109 Posts
well why not use the key from the one you are taking the chip out of, and just cut it down to size to fit in the holder.
i did this and it works 100%.
just an idea and it will save you the cost of getting it cut.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts