Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The holiday season is upon us, and there are many people out there that have lost their jobs with the horrible economic status of our country. People with chronic illness who are searching for a cure so others don't have to suffer. Children that live in projects with no safe green space to play. Perfectly good animals in need of rescue. Genocide in foreign countries.

(anybody getting depressed yet?)

Anyways, the purpose if this thread is to remind us that no matter how bad things can be in our life, there is always someone out there who has it much worse...and giving of yourself is a great way to show grattitude and make the world a better place.

So...lets start a list of what us EOC'ers do to give back to the world.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll start...

I volunteer at the local shelter

I am active with the American Diabetes Association

I attent local charity events "just because"

I threw a bunch of toys and food in the toys for tots and food pantry bins around town

I love to buy raffle tockets

·
Registered
303 Posts
We adopt out stray dogs & cats sometimes. I give food to the drop-off centers around here,Toys for tots, give our used toys, games & clothes to a local kids home. We just sent a care package to a young Navy man who is out at sea with no family. My daughter & I will be making some cookies for the elderly.
I am lucky to still have a job right now. Hoping it stays that way!

·
Registered
21 Posts
We buy and donate used wheelchairs to the Shriners Hospital. We also donate used items to the Ridge Area Association and buy used items from their store. Help with Boy Scouts, Wheeling Sportsmen, and Outdoors Without Limits programs. Also life member of National Rifle Association and a member of the Masonic Lodge and American Legion.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Toys for Ta-Ta's is happening in Seattle tonight...a burlesque show to raise money to buy kids toys

I know one of the dancers from a dog rescue forum
Toys For Ta-Ta's 2!
Today, Sunday, Dec 7 7:00p to 9:30p at Rendezvous Bar and Restaurant: Jewel Box Theater, Seattle, WA Burlesque show benefiting Toys For Tots. Hottie McNaughty and Sydni Deveraux and pleased to present to you Blood Rhinestone Productions first show:
Toys For Ta-Ta's 2!
Join us for Seattle's most requested holiday benefit show, Toys for Ta-Ta's 2, a burlesque show benefiting Toys For Tots.
Hosted by Ernie Von Schmaltz-The Man, The Myth, The Moustache! read more
Price: $22Age Suitability: None Specified Tags: There are no tags.
Burlesque show benefiting Toys For Tots

Hottie McNaughty and Sydni Deveraux and pleased to present to you Blood Rhinestone Productions first show:
Toys For Ta-Ta's 2!
Join us for Seattle's most requested holiday benefit show, Toys for Ta-Ta's 2, a burlesque show benefiting Toys For Tots.
Hosted by Ernie Von Schmaltz-The Man, The Myth, The Moustache!
Featuring:
The Swedish Housewife
Ultra
Polly Wood
Sydni Deveraux
Hottie McNaughty
Door prizes! Dancing girls and boys! Raffles! Shenanigans!
In these hard economic times, our local needy children are really depending on us. So bring a toy (or many!) and your sense of humor and experience Blood Rhinestone Productions own brand of irreverent and sexy humor!
Last year we collected eleven garbage bags full of toys and $1,500 to buy more. Toys-R-Us even let us bring a photographer to document the toy buying madness!
***Bring a toy (or 20!) to donate for a special present from the performers**

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I went through my closet a couple months ago and donated all the clothes I don't wear anymore to the Salvation Army, and just the other day, I found my coat from when I was still heavier that I thought I had gotten rid of, so I brought it in for the coat drive here at work. Once I'm sure I'll make my bills this month, I'll consider a monetary contribution.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Around here we are still in the throes of digging out of Ike. We had a beautiful weekend and everyone found a little time to hang a few christmas lights and wreaths--We are still keeping our spirits high.

As far as what "I" have done this Christmas---Good news is that although most of the citizens lost their golf carts in the storm, many have been repaired or replaced. Mr. Jojo is working hard on his, he found an old flooded one and is "Frankenstiening" him a new one.
Our annual Christmas Golf Cart parade will send all it's entrance fees to buy toys to kiddo's affected by Ike.:)

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Jeeze, where do I start? I guess it's no secret I've been known to help out a dog or two now and then. :rolleyes:

One of my favorite charities is Samaritan's Purse, it honestly doesn't matter what part of the world is in need, these guys and gals always - I do mean always - find a way to get there and bring help.

Every year they have a toy drive, Operation Christmas Child. You don't know how much joy you can pack into a shoebox till you try.

Another thing we do, the wife and I have quit buying ourselves Christmas presents - kinna. What we do is go to the Mall and get a handfull of Angels from the Salvation Army's Angel Tree. I've bought the wife two bicycles, three dolls, and a winter jacket so far this year. We find more joy 'receiving' this gift from each other than about anything.

Of course, we don't leave out the furry kids, we always make a donation to a couple of local Humane Societies, and of course NC Saint Bernard Rescue. Our guys, do each have a stocking and get a few treats on Christmas.

I guess our best gift to humanity, we don't just give during the holidays. I don't know what the future holds, the economics don't look great, but as long as we can, we will try and help those that need it more than we do.

On that note, I gotta go check and see if there's a Toys for Ta-Ta's anywhere nearby... :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Throughout the year the wife and I support the Salvation Army as well as monetary support for the local Animal Shelter where we adopted our pet. I'll have to look into Smaritan's Purse, I've heard of it and it sounds like a good organization.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
We have a Giving Tree at our church which puts up tags for needs through the Salvation Army and other community organizations. I usually go way overboard with this and spend too much, but then I tell myself it's Christmas and budget be damned!

Also as of about 2 years ago my family has stopped giving Christmas presents aside from little stuff like CD's, books, etc. and instead gone into Adopt-A-Family. My brother and his wife will pick out a large family in need and all the family and friends shop for them, their Christmas list, groceries, necessities, etc. The stuff is delivered Christmas eve (usually) pre-wrapped and ready to go. It even makes a cold-hearted [email protected] jerk like myself feel good...:rolleyes:

Also (though not quite in the same vein) I do a TON of Christmas concerts playing for free for various groups. Yeah yeah I know it's my hobby anyway, but it usually results in 2-3 weeks straight with zero nights off from either dress rehearsals or performances...:twisted:

Crazy thought of the day: doing an EOC-sponsored adopt-a-family? Someone coordinate for the shopping and people donate $$? Just a thought, no idea how practical it would be (and way too damn busy to coordinate it myself)...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
I went through my closet a couple months ago and donated all the clothes I don't wear anymore to the Salvation Army, and just the other day, I found my coat from when I was still heavier that I thought I had gotten rid of, so I brought it in for the coat drive here at work. Once I'm sure I'll make my bills this month, I'll consider a monetary contribution.
Geez Al, here I thought you were as out in the open as you could get when I found out now your clothing is out of the closet too? :rolleyes: :lol:

(sorry if nobody laughs, I thought it was a hilarious joke...)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I contribute via the annual combined federal campaign at the office. This year I gave to the USO, in past years it was the Red Cross and the Humane Society. In general I give to the schools by donating supplies and what not. I have driven quite a lot for Aussie Rescue but not lately because I'm living pretty far off highway 95.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
6,468 Posts