Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am headed to Glacier National Park in early August for at least a week and want to know everything that I have to do there. I plan on hiking and camping, and even bringing along my bike. I am pretty open to doing anything there so if someone has had a great time doing this or that any suggestions would be helpful.

So if you guys/gals were there a week what would you do?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Get some bear spray. You can pick it up in Kalispell. I've been to glacier several times, close to grizzlies twice (within 50 yards). If you don't use it on a bear, it makes a great self defense weapon for urban bears.
Watch out for the moose too. Otherwise its a beautiful place.
se

·
Registered
616 Posts
Glacier is my default "I don't know where I want to go" site.
You mentioned day hikes. I strongly recommend doing a day hike up to Cobalt lake and the ridge above. You could easily spend a whole summer there and not see everything.
If your chops are up to it bicycling over the pass on Going to the Sun road is unforgettable.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Don't read Night of the Grizzly, it will only make you paranoid of bears, bearanoid if you will. I have been going to Glacier my whole life and have never had a bad bear encounter. Just be aware and bear spray isn't a bad idea. If anything it allows you to relax a little and enjoy the park.

Any way Biz Mattie, the hiking is awesome you should definitely get out on the trail. The Highline Trail out to Granite Park Chalet is a great first hike. It is the one that starts out at Logan Pass. As for biking, there are only a couple bike trails but you can bike the Going to the Sun Road if you go early or later in the day; I'm not certain of the times. Also be sure to check out Lake MacDonald Lodge and Many Glacier Hotel. Many Glacier is my personal favorite area and there are some of my favorite hikes there. Oh and if you have concerns about hiking by yourself there are a lot of ranger lead hikes which are very interesting and go at a easy pace. If you have any more questions just send me a message.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
EL -MT is correct about Night of the Grizzlies (not to be confused with the Clint Walker movie Night of the Grizzly)

But I loved the book.
However... on our first trip to Glacier Park we picked up a paper back copy of Night of the Grizzlies
(which is found everywhere in the area and a quick 2 - 3 hour read)
It scared the bejeezus out of us!
The book freaked us out so bad that we packed up our camping gear and stayed at a rustic, old motel on the shore of the lake at Apgar Village. (which was very nice)

·
Registered
895 Posts
Mark of the Grizzly by Mark McMillon is another good one but only read it after you get home.

·
Registered
87 Posts
However... on our first trip to Glacier Park we picked up a paper back copy of Night of the Grizzlies
(which is found everywhere in the area and a quick 2 - 3 hour read)
It scared the bejeezus out of us!
The book freaked us out so bad that we packed up our camping gear and stayed at a rustic, old motel on the shore of the lake at Apgar Village. (which was very nice)
Ahh..paperback copies distributed by your friendly, local, rustic motel owners! :rolleyes:

When I was there, bike stayed on the rack. Going to the Sun might be fun to bike on, but the road can be very narrow, and challenging with the impatient drivers as you grind up the climbs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glacier

Heading to Glacier for our 4th time, 2nd time in our Element. Glacier Chat is another great site with a lot of information. Have a great time.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Going to the sun road a must do. A quieter spot though is the Many Glacier Lodge area on the N.E. side of the park. It is kind of out of the way from the main flow of park traffic and offers lots of trails in the lakes area there. My brother got married at the lodge years ago. Nice place.

·
Registered
616 Posts
For the same reason I like the Two Medicine area. It is a little off the way from the jewel Going To The Sun. We sometimes make this area our base camp.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I appreciate it. I am probably going by myself (my GF is busy with work), and no I am not that afraid of bears. I have been to Yellowstone and have been real close to black bears and moose out on the trails, although I have never been around a grizzly. Not nervous about hiking by myself as well.

Any campsites that I should consider? Any link for the Glacier Forum?

Again I really appreciate the information so far. I am not much for planning a trip, so doing this is a great first start for me. I figured if I started now, then I should be well prepared for two months from now.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Glacier is awesome.

I prefer the Many Glacier area of the park. Great hikes (can even do a boat ride/hike). Also a great lodge to watch the sunset from.

Going to Sun road , be sure to stop at Logan Pass and take the trail up toward Hidden Lake. Awesome views here.

If you want to goto Canada, drive up and have lunch at the Prince of Wales Hotel near Waterton. Actually there are several fantastic lodges here. all worth seeing.

And for fun get out of the E and take one of the red bus rides. Classic 1930's White convertible buses and they drive, you just watch.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
about a week and a half to go...

...and I will be on the road to Glacier. I can't wait, any further suggestions on campsites, potential motel/lodge stays, hikes are totally appreciated. I am headed up there by myself so if anyone else is going to be there first week of August please let me know.

I am a terrible planner so any last minute suggestions from anyone on what I should do before I go? I will probably post what I am bringing along. How cold are the nights up there?

Thanks again on all the advice so far.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Forgot to mention if anyone thinks that they live here between Kansas City and Glacier and would like to meet a unemployed engineer finally getting to go on his dream vacation please let me know. I fix bikes if anyone needs a repair too.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Best wishes!!

Will follow your adventure. Thanks for the link!

:)

Just checked - yikes!

"Surprise realization on the road: Lots of bikers, and even more poser bikers in RV's, wonder why? Well a stop at a rest stop in Iowa answered my question quickly enough: Sturgis Bike Week starts tomorrow. I guess so much for the open road."

:???::???:

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
829 miles for your second day.... that's some driving! Hope you are having a blast!:D Post some more pics when you can.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Many Glacier is a great area altho there aren't many glaciers there any more. Nice hiking trails. If you are going to do any bushwacking wear a bell or at least make some noise when you approach thick brush. If you're in Kalispell stop in a sporting goods store and get some bear spray; it does work. I've seen two griz in the woods around there, one about 30 yard from us and that's close enough for me. Most of the time they leave you alone but it only takes once. There's a nice camp ground up past the lodge, there's a restaurant there and its not expensive. If you have food with you lock it up in the E. They also have "bear boxes" at each campsite. I'm going out next month, save me some trout.
se

1 - 20 of 39 Posts