Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so the glove box on my 2003 won't open. I didn't lock it, and when I recently tried to open it with a little force, the handle broke right off. Oops. I tried to pry it open from the top, but I'm afraid of causing any more damage. Any tips or help would be appreciated! Fortunately, all my important papers were in the overhead storage, so I kinda lucked-out in that respect.

·
Retired.
12,183 Posts
Okay, so the glove box on my 2003 won't open. I didn't lock it, and when I recently tried to open it with a little force, the handle broke right off. Oops. I tried to pry it open from the top, but I'm afraid of causing any more damage. Any tips or help would be appreciated! Fortunately, all my important papers were in the overhead storage, so I kinda lucked-out in that respect.

Welcome to the EOC Sidgoop.

At the bottom of the glove box the is two hinges. Take the screws out at the bottom on the hinges (one per side) and see if that helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don’t know if this blog is still active, but I popped the hinges off of my 2003 element and it’s still stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The knob, spring and everything else popped off sometime before I purchased it. I’m fixing up the car, and don’t really want to break the glove compartment out.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Maybe this guy's video will give you some ideas. It's not your exact problem but he shows the details of the latch and what needs to happen to open it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don’t know if this blog is still active, but I popped the hinges off of my 2003 element and it’s still stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The knob, spring and everything else popped off sometime before I purchased it. I’m fixing up the car, and don’t really want to break the glove compartment out.
same problem, did the same thing with those screws, NG. Now I've got a loose glove box that's still locked!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Maybe this guy's video will give you some ideas. It's not your exact problem but he shows the details of the latch and what needs to happen to open it.
Doesn't work. Dude needs to get less stupid and more effective. Tnx, though

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Whelp. Im here too. Must be some deep state gov conspiracy against foreign cars that last too long.

Ill see if i can get it off without destroying more than the latch. One of my hinges is also broken so i don't have anything to lose if i just drill it out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welcome to the EOC Sidgoop.

At the bottom of the glove box the is two hinges. Take the screws out at the bottom on the hinges (one per side) and see if that helps.
I think this'd only work (removing the bolts to remove the glove box) if the box wasn't locked, i.e, when it's locked it has another fixed point (the lock mechanism) which prevents the assembly from separating from the dash.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts