Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that the GMC Terrain gets 22 city/32 hwy in the 4cyl./FWD setup and even gets 17/24 in the V6/AWD setup. The 4 cyl is a 2.4 liter with 182 horsepower. The V6 is a 3.0 liter with 264 horsepower. I know that's the factory ratings and your mileage may vary but that's impressive. Not to complain but shouldn't Elements be up in that range of fuel economy/horsepower by now? That being said, I've recently owned GMs and Hondas and the quality/reliability is in Honda's favor for sure but the competition seems to be putting out some good numbers. Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,238 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I work for a Buick GMC delership, and the Terrain is the best vehicle to come down the road in a long time. The design is new and fit and finish is very good. The base model for under 25K has a long list of features including rear backup camera with the screen in the rearview mirror. The GMC uses a 4 cylinder 2.4 L with a six speed trans. This vehicle is a new design along with the Chevrolet version and really cannot be compaired with the Element. The Element was probably on the drawing board in 2000 and if you look at the cars in 2003 it was really forward thanking design. I hope Honda will not forget the Element, and come out with a new design that will improve gas millage and improved fit and finish not to mention a few more up to date standard features. If I were in the market for a new car I would really look hard at the terrain.

·
Registered
997 Posts
GM has gotten pretty good about offering 6 speed automatic transmissions with their 4 cylinders to pull out every last mpg they can. It used to always annoy me that the V6's would get the 6 speed transmission and the 4 cylinders would get 4 speeds, like the people buying 4 cylinders wouldn't want to get even better mileage. They finally realized that some people were buying the 4 to save gas not because they couldn't afford the V6.

I cringe every time I see Howie Long going on about how each of the Chevys get better MPG than a Honda.

It was just a given for so long that Honda's got better gas mileage, now they need to up their effort to stay on top.

The next Sonata is supposed to get like 35 highway from a near 200 hp engine.
Ford is putting a 6 speed auto in their tiny 2011 Fiesta and it is supposed to get about 5 more mpg hwy than the Fit.

·
Registered
895 Posts
GM has had a reputation of putting in really tall overdrives to improve highway MPG. I've noticed that they don't put combined MPG in many of their ads. Plus observed MPG in various car magazines seems to show this.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm wondering if Honda will focus mpg improvements on the CRV only to compete with these guys in the small SUV market. Hopefully they won't forget to add the Element into the mix :?

I know apples and oranges.

When Honda's ready, they'll up the bar big time - kind of like the old days :)

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
2,057 Posts
We sell the chevy version. My thoughts are this is one big turd that Gm has dumped in the suv market. I've had trans problems, stretched timing chains (16k miles) and alot of annoying sqeeks/rattles. Can't wait to see what 4 or 5 years and some serious miles has in store. Good thing the power train is warrantied for 100k, cuz the owners will be using that!

The ones that are in for service the mpg average is 18, for the v6. The 2.4 ecotec can barely move this thing, Dont listen to Howie.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
GM has had a reputation of putting in really tall overdrives to improve highway MPG. I've noticed that they don't put combined MPG in many of their ads. Plus observed MPG in various car magazines seems to show this.
You know what, though? That trick WORKED. I had three different cars with the vaunted 3800 (3.8L) V6 and the 4T65 transmission (an '89 Bonneville, a '95 LeSabre, and an '89 Riviera). The LeSabre was a five-star crash rated full-sized four-door sedan. It had dual airbags and all the power gadgets that a Buick should have. It was so safe that I entered a five-car pile-up at 60 mph and walked away without so much as a bruise. That heavier car with a much larger engine got better mileage on the highway than does my little four-banger Element, and it only did a couple points worse in the city. When I say better, I mean MUCH better, like over 30 mpg pretty much guaranteed as long as I kept it under 80 mph. On one exceptionally notable trip I got nearly 35 miles per gallon while going 70 miles per hour up I-75 through Ohio. And the other two cars did just as well (albeit they were less safe because they were from the '80s).

Really the big question is WHICH GM made the Terrain? Was it the GM that makes the excellent Malibu, Enclave, and LaCrosse? Or was it the GM that makes the rubbish Silverado and the inflated vaporware claims that are the Chevy Volt?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sorry to say, but my '93 GMC Jimmy V6 4.3lt gets about the same mileage as our 07 E. On the highway it avgs 22.5mpg and city about 17mpg and the truck has 190k on the odometer.

Our E gets 20city and 23 mpg highway.

Sadly, the E is run about 75mph, but the Jimmy routinely sits about 80 on the highway.

We wanted something to replace the Jimmy due to just getting old and could not afford the Traverse and the Envoy while nice, gets horrible fuel mileage.

SideNote: I've owned Honda's sportbikes for about 20yrs and even those have rarely been on par with the competition for mileage vs. hp.
My bro. R1 avg. 40mpg, by 929 about 36 and this was on touring trip in large groups. Heck, my friends on SuperHawk avg. 25mpg!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'll take my assembled in the USA Honda product over the Assembled in Mexico GMC Terrain any day!

I looked at one before I got my Ridgeline and there really was no incentive to go with the Terrain. Sure it has a mile long list of standard equipment, but then so did the RTL.

I'll stick with something I know has been around for a while, like my E and Ridge.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I'll take my assembled in the USA Honda product over the Assembled in Mexico GMC Terrain any day!

I looked at one before I got my Ridgeline and there really was no incentive to go with the Terrain. Sure it has a mile long list of standard equipment, but then so did the RTL.

I'll stick with something I know has been around for a while, like my E and Ridge.
Ingersoll, Ontario. The Terrain is assembled in Ingersoll, Ontario, Canada.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't think Honda has forgotten about the Element as there was a pretty big refresh in 09. The Element is like the Miata in a way, they can't deviate too much from the original concept or they'll ruin it. Sure, sales might be down, but it has become their "signature car" like the Miata for Mazda and New Beetle for VW.

Also doesn't it get similar updates as the CRV since both are on the same platform? (i.e. powertrain, new options like nav, etc?)

·
Retired.
12,183 Posts
The Terrain really is hideous, ain't it? :twisted: Not quite Crosstour ugly, but still damn ugly!
There was no mistaking what it was when i seen it coming towards me.

GM should have just let buick have the VUE and left it at that. Pontiac and its design sins of the last 30 years are dead and buried now...or so i thought.....Now they are just getting passed on to GMC.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
There was no mistaking what it was when i seen it coming towards me.

GM should have just let buick have the VUE and left it at that. Pontiac and its design sins of the last 30 years are dead and buried now...or so i thought.....Now they are just getting passed on to GMC.
It's probably just as well you didn't go to the Detroit Auto Show. GM's display really pissed me off at the amount of rubbish they're still building.

·
Retired.
12,183 Posts
It's probably just as well you didn't go to the Detroit Auto Show. GM's display really pissed me off at the amount of rubbish they're still building.

Motor Trend tested the new Cruze in Europe a few months ago......Lets just say they did't have many good things to say about it.

With everything going on in the NA auto industry the last few years i think Ford is going to come out the major winner. The "new" Fusion is starting to grow on me. I am starting to see the Transit Connect all over the place now and with a whole slew of new product in the pipeline i can't see how they cannot come out on top.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts