Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i found this awesome roof rack online from gobiracks, denver, co. You guys think its worth the coin, or are there better cheaper options?
:razz:

·
Registered
82 Posts
It's

one of the best. look at the other threads on racks for more ideas.there is member that makes a pretty cool rack.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
But are you going to use that rack????? Where are the pictures with it all loaded up?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Two words.

Hell.

No.

Make one yourself, buy one from another member or look at some of the other, much less expensive options. You could consider a set of Yakima landing pads and cross bars and get a local welding shop to put one together for you that straps down to the Yakima. It would still be probably half the price of the Gobi.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Two words.

Hell.

No.

Make one yourself, buy one from another member or look at some of the other, much less expensive options. You could consider a set of Yakima landing pads and cross bars and get a local welding shop to put one together for you that straps down to the Yakima. It would still be probably half the price of the Gobi.
You would be sadly mistaken (IMO). From all the stuff ive seen, Gobi is in a class by itself. To try to recreate one would cost you more in time/effort/supplies/etc. From what i understand, gobi even has a hatch thing so you can still use your back sunroof and the like.

If the Gobi is what you WANT! go for it, most people get by with the yakima load warrior stuff. (which is overpriced for what it is IMO).

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Two words.

Hell.

No.

Agreed. The fab shop we use will make something similar for around $200, then another $50 for powdercoating. Aluminum or steel, whatever thickness and diameter.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The Gobi rack is worth it if that's what you want and you have the money to spend. Don't let anyone else tell you what you should or shouldn't buy for your E. It's up to you. Remember that and have fun!

That being said, I have one and got it for about $200 less than MSRP. It was totally worth the price. It can hold over 300 lbs, it's perfectly engineered and contoured to the E's curved roofline, and it covers the entire roof which no other rack does. It's the most rugged rack I've ever encountered (and I am coming from a serious offroading community before having the E. There is no way in hell a shop could produce this rack for anything less than $600-700, and that's not counting engineering time/effort and testing out designs/ideas.

SO... if you have the money (i didn't and sold a bunch of crap i didn't need on ebay -- so there are ways ;-) ) and this is what you want, by all means go for it. But remember, don't let other people dictate what you should and shouldn't do to your baby.

·
Registered
288 Posts
So i found this awesome roof rack online from gobiracks, denver, co. You guys think its worth the coin, or are there better cheaper options?
:razz:
I think the Gobi rack is gorgeous and would love to get one for my TRP-E. And, no, I probably wouldn't use it, except for maybe to put the spare tire up there. I would buy it for the look alone. But....it is spendy. If you have the money, I say buy it and enjoy it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yikes

geeeze.. guess its time to start savin up... it just looks so damn SEXY!!!:evil: and its so much bigger... will i use it? who knows. maybe when i move to colorado lol

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I would own one if I had the extra coin to blow and I say blow because I doubt I would use it alot, but I just plain love the look of it. I will say, the TPS Lizard rack is pretty unique also....another one that I have seriously considered if I had $700+ to blow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts