Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im gonna go look at an 03 in town, the guy is practically giving it away, its got 224k miles and looks like its been sitting for a while, owner claims no mechanical issues. When I go look at it, is there anything I need to absolutely look out for? Is there anything I should walk away from even if he'll let me lowball the hell out of him?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just checked out the car. It's insanely clean on the inside (seats aren't even cracked yet). The only issue the car has is a rough idle and the car "slumps" forward when going into 1st to 2nd. I'm thinking a broken motor mount. The guy has been getting a lot of offers on the car so he's now saying 2000 is his bottom line (so much for lowballing him) what do you guys think?

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,000 Posts
Welcome to the EOC ssjhook! :)

You'll want to check the condition of the more expensive to fix items: A/C, CV joints, and suspension parts. If it needs a lot of attention to anyone or more of those areas, that low price suddenly doesn't become so low! : - (

Also, if it came from an area where road salt is used, check the underbody for excessive rust. If it has a lot of rust, that would be a deal breaker!

At 17 years old and 224K miles, you have figure it's at least going to need some minor repairs. If you are able to do most basic repairs yourself, then you will likely make out alright. But, if you need to pay a shop to do all of the work, you may be better off paying more for a newer and lower mileage Element.

Hope this helps! I wish you well! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. Fortunately, I live in a very rust free area. Unfortunately, I'm not a mechanic, so it's definitely a shot in the dark. It's been extremely tough to find an element in my price range. It would be nice to find one with 80k less miles and just pay another 3k, but they usually get swooped up very fast, and also they are about 1-2 hours away from where I live, this one happens to be 3 mins from my house.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts