Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i have just recently bought a 2005 4wd honda element in november because i just had a little one and i cant be hauling him in my hatch...but i want to make it somewhat more me so i bought tein lowering spings which will drop it 2.5 in front and 2.4 in back and a shop told me $360 for install and align...i told him F that but he said i will need a camber for front and back and i have read on here that i did and didnt so idk..i just wanted to find out for sure because my buddy and i are going to install them and im not going to tear it apart and put it back together twice..i just have no time for that.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
If you dont want your tires to wear out prematurely, you will need camber kits.
Then you will need a 4 wheel alignment. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ok here comes the tuner side in me Camber kits are generally not the way I would go first. In my opinion you should try a bushing kit. Granted the bushing you want to replace is also on the camber kit but a replacement of the bushing on the upper control arm can have the same effect. I stay away from the camber kit if possible. Cost can come into play here as the bushing kit is expensive especially if you just get the master bushing kit. The camber kit is more cost effective but IMO is better. Then you have the type bushing, rubber or polyurethane. Polyurethane is stiff and squeals a lot where rubber is more flexible but doesn't squeal as much.

*edit---As said by AztecRol, a good alignment is needed to help even tire wear. Without one uneven tire wear will more than likely happen. Since you have an 05 I would think it be more likely to happen.

·
12,178 Posts
Ok here comes the tuner side in me Camber kits are generally not the way I would go first. In my opinion you should try a bushing kit. Granted the bushing you want to replace is also on the camber kit but a replacement of the bushing on the upper control arm can have the same effect. I stay away from the camber kit if possible. Cost can come into play here as the bushing kit is expensive especially if you just get the master bushing kit. The camber kit is more cost effective but IMO is better. Then you have the type bushing, rubber or polyurethane. Polyurethane is stiff and squeals a lot where rubber is more flexible but doesn't squeal as much.

*edit---As said by AztecRol, a good alignment is needed to help even tire wear. Without one uneven tire wear will more than likely happen. Since you have an 05 I would think it be more likely to happen.
I will never claim to be an expert on suspensions but have a question. How will changing bushings correct a suspension issue that was not caused by worn bushings to begin with? Add in the factor that there isn't bushings on the front where the camber adjustment is made.

·
Registered
389 Posts
gotta pay to play sucker. a camber kit doesnt cost nearly as much as replacing 4 tires every 3 months. add your camber kit, and get a professional 4 wheel toe/camber alignment after you and your pal finish installing your springs. sounds like you haven't done this much so make sure you have a spring compressor on hand. dont just unscrew it fully assembled, that's extremely dangerous.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I will never claim to be an expert on suspensions but have a question. How will changing bushings correct a suspension issue that was not caused by worn bushings to begin with? Add in the factor that there isn't bushings on the front where the camber adjustment is made.
Nor will I. I talk from previous experiences. Just wanted to share

My integra was slammed to the ground and had camber issues. Camber kit was installed to correct squealing and camber. Since bushings were crappy on camber kit squeal returned. Replaced with oem arms and master bushing kit, 4 wheel alignment an problem was solved.

A camber kit doesn't guarantee a fix a problem. I haven't lowered my E. I just wanted to clear a longstanding rumor of camber kits. They have been used in a lot of cars to correct the camber issue lowering can cause. As well as the uneven tire wear.

I myself am debating the lowering question as I have a set of Tein Lowering springs I got for it since they were so cheap in price.

·
12,178 Posts
Nor will I. I talk from previous experiences. Just wanted to share

My integra was slammed to the ground and had camber issues. Camber kit was installed to correct squealing and camber. Since bushings were crappy on camber kit squeal returned. Replaced with oem arms and master bushing kit, 4 wheel alignment an problem was solved.

A camber kit doesn't guarantee a fix a problem. I haven't lowered my E. I just wanted to clear a longstanding rumor of camber kits. They have been used in a lot of cars to correct the camber issue lowering can cause. As well as the uneven tire wear.

I myself am debating the lowering question as I have a set of Tein Lowering springs I got for it since they were so cheap in price.

If the suspension geometry has been changed by installing lower springs throwing new bushings at it is not going to correct the camber.

If the camber is out on a stock vehicle due to worn components than yes new bushings can fix the problem.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Can't say from an element pont of view but I can say that depending on how low the car is dropped, a simple bushing replacement will be suffiecient. I tried a skunk2 camber kit and it wasn't the fix I needed.

I would like to know what the outcome of using a camber kit on a lowered E would do.

·
EOC Rank: Registered
196 Posts
Can't say from an element pont of view but I can say that depending on how low the car is dropped, a simple bushing replacement will be suffiecient. I tried a skunk2 camber kit and it wasn't the fix I needed.

I would like to know what the outcome of using a camber kit on a lowered E would do.
Try searching the forum for camber kits and see how many members are using them. And of the members that are using them how many had problems getting a correct alignment done.

i think you will find that your experiences with an integra do not directly carry over to the E.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Try searching the forum for camber kits and see how many members are using them. And of the members that are using them how many had problems getting a correct alignment done.

i think you will find that your experiences with an integra do not directly carry over to the E.
True but I only put out my opinion there from experience.

As far as the rest goes, I guess drawing opinions also tend to get some people all :?

I'll just keep to myself.

Seem this forum is like any other.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
True but I only put out my opinion there from experience.

As far as the rest goes, I guess drawing opinions also tend to get some people all :?

I'll just keep to myself.

Seem this forum is like any other.
I agree with you. in some cases a bushing replacement can help. on extreme drops the angle of the arm can make oem rubber bushings deform and deflect.

but we are talking apples and oranges. a 2-3" drop on a car does much less to the geometry then a 4-5" drop on an element. esp since the element doesnt have a very aggressive suspension to begin with.

an older and worn car should get a once over and a bushing replacement is a good idea. but far from a correction of the what 3 degrees a slammed element needs.

up front spherical bushings help but not for corrections. just for better sustainability of said corrections throughout full travel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts