Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off i don't want to spend much and i really just want a new tip and whatever will make it sound a little louder and deeper.

Every time i go to an exhaust shop they tell me i need this this this and this and it will cost me $600.

I was wondering if anyone has spent like $150 or less and got a really good sound... or if you just know how i could get it.

Also i wanna paint my plastic grill, what kinda paint.

2008 SC rocks!

·
Registered
508 Posts
First off i don't want to spend much and i really just want a new tip and whatever will make it sound a little louder and deeper.

Every time i go to an exhaust shop they tell me i need this this this and this and it will cost me $600.

I was wondering if anyone has spent like $150 or less and got a really good sound... or if you just know how i could get it.

Also i wanna paint my plastic grill, what kinda paint.

2008 SC rocks!
150 bucks is a little too low, but if you find the right shop you could get away with 300 dollars for a complete custom setup.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
$150 is really low... $300-400 is a bit more realistic. Shop around muffler shops and see what they can do for you.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
actually, for $150.00 usd you would probably find a used one. i do not know how interested you are in that. as for easy installs that will take you half an hour or less, the element has two options: injen ($500.00 usd) or the gibson ($300.00). these are rough estimates. from what i know, gibson is only that low if you get the aluminum finish. i got the stainless steel finish so it was a little over $400.00 usd. good luck.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
What about this..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Element-03-06-07-08-GT-Burnt-Tip-Exhaust-Muffler_W0QQitemZ200249557391QQcmdZViewItem#ht_1468wt_0

It will give me the sound right? I know its not the real "right way" but for the sound, will it sound good?
interesting. i doubt it will give u much of an hp increase, but u might get the sound u r looking for. i just saw that u r in costa mesa. do you know what sound u r looking for? i have the gibson and am in huntington beach. it is a nice deep growl.

·
Registered
556 Posts
input :)

I am in costa mesa got a custom flowmaster exhaust for around 250. had it with no resonator and my mom was about to kick me out of the house because it was so loud and throaty. So went back and got the resonator put back on i like how it sounds but i would like it louder i will get it changed later with a more open resonator but for now it is good.

glad to see a couple or EOC'ers near by.

Custom is probly the way you want to go. besides the muffler you posted is for the end of the pipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeSWdaLcZJY

it would have to be mounted like the one in the video. and i dont think that would work on a sc but i could be wrong:D. and would probly sound close to that to. it is a sraight pipe all the way to the megan N1 muffler.

-garrett

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
If you wanna do it cheap just go to Home Depot and buy about 3' of 2" HVAC duct and a couple hose clamps (while youre there get the stuff for the HD Grille guard). Cut off that pesky muffler and resonator and strap that piece of duct work in its place. Then it'll sound nice and loud.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not responsible for what is written above and if anyone actually follows the instructions.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Just swap mufflers and tips. That will run $150ish, and end up looking and sounding different.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Custom Exhaust - On my own

I wanted to make a custom exhaust. I have a few TIG welders and tube benders and nice heated shop to work in :rolleyes:. I just am very in experienced to it custom exhausts, i have done a bolt on (did one on my 96 accord) but don't want to spend 500. What is the difference between resonators, mufflers, and the rest of it? :twisted: I have been looking at Exhaust posts for weeks now and am still confused.

I want something that sounds nice, but i don't want to be "that guy" with a loud obnoxious sound with a slower SUV.... i feel those sounds are reserved for cars that well... go faster... is there a post or can someone do a quick description of the parts i will need and some ways to make decision on Pipe diameters. Also what elements should i consider, back pressure, air flow...

thanks

Kevin

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I wanted to make a custom exhaust. I have a few TIG welders and tube benders and nice heated shop to work in :rolleyes:. I just am very in experienced to it custom exhausts, i have done a bolt on (did one on my 96 accord) but don't want to spend 500. What is the difference between resonators, mufflers, and the rest of it? :twisted: I have been looking at Exhaust posts for weeks now and am still confused.

I want something that sounds nice, but i don't want to be "that guy" with a loud obnoxious sound with a slower SUV.... i feel those sounds are reserved for cars that well... go faster... is there a post or can someone do a quick description of the parts i will need and some ways to make decision on Pipe diameters. Also what elements should i consider, back pressure, air flow...

thanks

Kevin
Generally, the more chambers the muffler has, the quieter it is. Magnaflow makes very high quality mufflers that are quiet. They aren't silent like stock, but they are a little louder. They keep a deep rumble, too.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have a flowmaster 40 Muffler on my car with a stock resonator.

·
Registered
556 Posts
What does it sound like? And how much did you get it for?

-Kevin
It sounds pretty good it has a deep tone at idle. and then from that point on i cant really hear it well since i am always in the car and my CAI is pretty loud. I had just the flowmaster with out the resonator but my mom was going to kill me so i had to go back and they but the resonator back on. so it cost around 300 for everything. 85 bucks for the screw-up. if it was up for me i would go with a more open resonator.

-gboy

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Well if your looking for cheap and for it to actually sound quite good,just leave the stock resonator in tact and remove the muffler,then weld in a straight pipe in it's place.I've had this setup on my E' for close to a year now,and I think it still sounds great.:cool:

Here's the topic I started about my setup with pics. and video.
Check it out.:)

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41443

·
Registered
197 Posts
I got my exhaust done at a shop for $250 plus the muffler which i got a pepboys for $100. There are cheaper mufflers tho. I love the sound i have. Its a 2.25inch pipe from the catback with a resinator and 3Aracing muffler. definate performance increase and a nice deep sound. Heres a vid of my car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R6uI5D4Mhw

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey, why not buy my gently used Injen exhaust, which after numerous phone calls to vendors and several weeks wait, Injen made specifically for the SC model so that the exhaust tip didn't come out about a foot to the left of the bumper cutout.

If you're interested, PM me and I'd be glad to get you a shipping quote. I've lowered my asking price from $450 to $400.

The Injen not only looks great, but it sounds great as well, added a noticeable bit of power and increased throttle response, and also gave us 1-2 better mpg across the board!

http://elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50966

To put it in perspective, my wife traded the Element in (it was her car) on a brand new Subaru STI. As good as the STI is (and as good as it sounds), it sounds absolutely flat and boring in comparision to the Element/Injen combo...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts