Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Im going to be looking at an 03 this afternoon with about 146,000 miles on it. EX, AWD, automatic, orange in color, one owner. Whats a good average price to pay cash for this? He is asking 7k. I am really liking these and thinking I really want one. Thanks much, talk soon. =)

·
Registered
6,238 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi dom.

Hi dom. I did take a look at both. In the condition, with everything based on color, region, miles, and more edmunds shows this at right over 7k, and kbb shows this for says 8425. It always seems like kbb is higher by a decent amount, but it seems that edmunds is more on the right path. Thanks much, talk soon. =)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Hi dom. I did take a look at both. In the condition, with everything based on color, region, miles, and more edmunds shows this at right over 7k, and kbb shows this for says 8425. It always seems like kbb is higher by a decent amount, but it seems that edmunds is more on the right path. Thanks much, talk soon. =)
I also took a look and agree...

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I like Edmunds for what seems to be more up to date tracking on regional value.

Good luck and hope to see you around here with pics of the new ride!

·
Registered
6,238 Posts

LOL, That was just a hint to fill in your profile !! ;-) I know you will be back! The Element is not a car, it's a disease!

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!

Dom

·
Registered
836 Posts
It's an SOP BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grin:

they are going to buy it only to paint it NBP because we all know its the best color :lol:

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good day. =)

Good day to everyone. I went and looked at the element last night. As soon as I saw it, I knew at that moment, I had to have it. I went through the vehicle, and was very pleased with how they kept it in nice shape. I drove it, and everything seemed really nice. But...when I got back to the parking lot where we met to look at the truck, I opened the hood, and the engine had a bunch of corrosion, I was like, uh oh, and I looked at his vin and compared it to if I recall the coolant problem or something along those lines, and it was one of the many that were on the list. Needless to say I didn't buy it. I did explain to him about that, and told him to look this up and see for himself, as I didn't want him to think I was just bsing him to get the truck cheaper. With stuff like that, does anyone own one of these that have the problem, and how much is it to get fixed? I figured it would be about 800-1000 reading some other things. Any thoughts on that are welcomed to share please. Im gonna keep looking. There is another one thats an 04 with 117k miles, and they only want 5800, however, after looking up reviews through merchantcircle.com on this smaller dealer, almost every review, about 20 of them had nothing nice to say about them, hence told me not to even bother with that one. Thanks much for the replies thus far, talk soon. =)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Way to keep the level head in finding the right E. Don't know if you're game for it but I always liked the idea of finding the right car even if a road trip was involved...kinda part of the story line when all said and done.

Best of luck moving forward...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi again.

Ita funny that you mention this, as having to say, thats how its looking like I might have to if I really want one. There just aren't alot of them up here. Some people think Im crazy for telling them there aren't many available, there just aren't. I wish there was at least a few more in this area for me to pick and choose. The only downfall about doing the road trip factor is that I could get to one of them, and someone tell me what a cream puff it is, and then get there to see its not, lol. Those are always the fun ones though, haha. Talk soon. =)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Ita funny that you mention this, as having to say, thats how its looking like I might have to if I really want one. There just aren't alot of them up here. Some people think Im crazy for telling them there aren't many available, there just aren't. I wish there was at least a few more in this area for me to pick and choose. The only downfall about doing the road trip factor is that I could get to one of them, and someone tell me what a cream puff it is, and then get there to see its not, lol. Those are always the fun ones though, haha. Talk soon. =)
When I bought mine new the end of 08, I was between 2 dealers...one the other side of Houston from me (50+ miles) and the other out in San Antonio. The commitment was easier to make since this was on a new vehicle obviously. Point is, even for a new one, it was a search.

Make them send you lots of pics ahead of time! :oops:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I took a chance. =)

Hi! How are ya element owners? Ok, I got a call back from him, as I did still make an offer on this element with that knowing whats going on with the engine, etc. for $5200.00, he called me today, and I bought it for that. I am really hoping that this vehicle is going to work great for me. I am proud to now be an element owner too, I just worry a little about the engine with the corrosion and rusting with that. I will take a few pictures of the element, and the engine tomorrow, and let you as fellow owners give your opinions on that. Thanks much, talk soon. =)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe...

I should have waited and bought this one that just sold on ebay, 2003 with 86k miles for 6700. Engine looks alot cleaner than mine, lol. Then again, I emailed this seller a few days ago asking some questions, and literally his reply was, its a good car, thanks. I was surprised on that, since I asked about five questions. Maybe that was a better sign not to buy that one, haha. Im happy I bought mine though. It hasn't set in though yet that its mine, and that its sitting out in the driveway. It probably won't until I have it officially on the road monday. One of the things I looked at when I bought it was, hey, if need be, I can always put a little money into it to have it rockin and rollin better, since edmunds says its worth just over 7k in this condition less the engine thing of course. Thanks much, talk soon. =)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
A dirty engine exterior NEVER bothers me on a high mileage used car. Anything that is leaking is very apparent on the dusty greasy surface plus you can see any new parts installed more easily. Also-aggressive power washing/engine "steam cleaning' often forces water into connectors and bearings. I've had a couple serpentine belt tensioners go belly up 2-5K after purchase because the dealership detailer 'steam cleaned' the engine a bit too vigorously.

Now- as for INTERNAL engine cleanliness- how does the radiator look when you peer into the filler neck with a flashlight? Elements use vertical tube radiators-so you can get a view of several tube ends. If the coolant is clear blue and the tubes are clean- you should be just fine- if the tube ends have whitish corrosion or the coolant is cloudy and discolored- well you need to take action.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good evening.

Hi. Thanks for the replies. I will take some pictures of my e in the day time tomorrow. I tried to post one that was on the original ad from craigslist, and its asking for a url? Is there another way to post them? Not sure I see what they are asking me to do with posting a picture, lol. It will be nice to get this vehicle on the road. I bought it two days ago, and its sitting out in the driveway. We are registering it and insuring it tomorrow(today), lol. Thanks much, talk soon. =)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts