Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think I have my mind set on a element. Im looking for a vehicle that will be for both personal and business use for my pool service business. This seems like a better option then a regular work van.

Problem is I need my payments to stay below $250 which is what they are now with my '06 Kia Spectra.

So I found a car that may work.

Its a 2007 Element EX model that looks really clean on all the pics. New tires. One owner who it says put mostly highway miles on it. 49,000 miles. They are asking $12,000 for it.

Carfax they provided shows it was in a left front impact crash. It says the vehicle was towed from the crash. So it looks good now like it was fixed. But im worried about it. I might be able to get the price even a bit lower. Do you guys think this would be a decent deal or should I stay away because of the accident it was in?

I should mention I like 80 miles from this car so I have yet to test drive it. Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have been looking at Elements extensively for a couple months. That price is very low for an '07, did they salvage the title after the wreck? If not thats a low enough price that I would consider making the drive over for a test drive. Then would have a expert check the car over.

btw is it 2wd or AWD? the best deal I have found on a '07 EX 2wd with 46k miles is $14900.

·
Registered
751 Posts
The mileage is high for an '07.

The crash is a little concerning. It looks like they don't want it anymore because of the crash. If I wanted the car badly enough, I'd drive out at take a look at it. Look at the repair work, make sure the body looks straight and the paint looks good. Maybe see if there are any before and after pictures and list of what was replaced. Find out if theres any warrenty that can transfer to you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its the AWD model.

Its a dealer selling it if that makes a difference? I dont know that big dealers sell salvage titled cars?

Carfax says the vehicle qualifies the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee whatever that is.

On Carfax it says that under title problems there are guaranteed to be none. Says not salvage/junk/rebuilt. Says airbags have not been deployed but like I said it reported the vehicle was disabled and towed from its accident.

My fiance has a R titled car and her dad has had two that have been fine with no problems. It does scare me though. Is insurance high on Elements?

·
Registered
191 Posts
The mileage is high, and the price is low. If it needed to be towed from the crash sight front end damage must have taken place. If you can, take a close look at tire wear and take it for a long test drive. The price is very attractive, but that carfax info is a red flag to me.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My pea brain thinks like this.

This car was in a crash and is fairly new. It is also very low priced so I would conclude (this is only my opinion and it is worth nothing!) that the previous owner had trouble with it since the crash, that is why they dumped it. The dealer knows this, stole it from them and is now selling for a nice profit.

I would ask for contact information to the previous owner (not sure if they can or will give you a phone number) to get the real scoop on the car. Otherwise I would take it to a Good body shop (with a frame machine) pay them to give it a complete inspection, then take it to a mechanic and do the same. After all that, if it looks OK, make an even lower offer and buy an extended warranty, or make them throw one in. (Again this is only my opinion and it has no retail value. I will not be held responsible for my mouth over running my brain);-)

Good Luck out there.:)

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
It would but the E is past 36000 miles unless it has a extended warranty. It probibly got towed because the radiator got busted but thats a guess. DO a good once over and find out where it got repaired and see the list of what was replaced. Most good body shops have a good warranty on their work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
One thing to note is that modern vehicles were designed to be crashed hard once. All bets are off if you have to survive a major crash in that vehicle (its second).

Is it worth the money to take the chance? How about an un-crashed older model?

·
Registered
155 Posts
if i were in your shoes:

no way, no how, i'm not buy that car.

while its a good deal, the fact that the unibody design of the car, its been brought up earlier: i think something is wrong with that car and the owner wants to dump it.

i don't buy cars that have been in accidents, they never seem to be RIGHT after that.

best of luck to ya :)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
You should find another one thats around the same age and take it for a test drive. Preferably one that hasn't been in a wreck. That way you can feel for how one is supposed to drive. Then test drive that one if you still want it. At least you'll have something to compare to.

Or just buy this one...

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47473

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good deal? mine was

I bought my 07 E EX, 4WD, automatic, for $12,400, in March.
It had 27,000 miles on it.

It was a salvage vehicle, and when I ordered the carfax report, it showed no towing, no crashes, no airbag deployment, no fire, no flooding.
Turned out it had been stolen. It was not recovered for long enough that the insurance company wrote it off and paid the first owner. When it WAS found, it had had parts stripped, but not damaged. The vehicle was sold at auction. THe guy I bought it from fixed it, had it checked by Honda, kept it for a few months but he and his wife found the suicide doors a nuisance with two small kids, so I bought it.
They let me take it and drive it for one full week before I bought it, which was awesome. I LOVED it and bought it and have put on 20,000 miles since March.

You need to have a body guy make SURE the frame is intact. You need to drive it for at least a few days.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks a lot for all the feedback.

The story I got from the girl at the dealership is this. She says she actually knows the people who owned this E. She says the guy was at the end of his leases mileage limit. He wanted a Jeep Wrangler so he got thats why they now have the E for sale. She says you cant tell it was ever in a crash by looking at it and driving it. I guess she is going to ask the guy about the full extent of the crash and try to get a list of what was fixed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts