Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Is there a good way to buff out minor scratches from the plastic body panels?
I have a black E with the black body panels.

I hit a 3" diameter tree branch that ran the length of my E. I'm thinking of selling and want to make it presentable.

Cheers!;-)

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
On unpainted panels, I think it is best to let the scratches weather to the same shade as the surrounding plastic. Obviously that's better for shallow ones that stand out only because of the shade difference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Plastic panel - HELP me too!!

Hmm; anybody have another answer? Is there a way to "buff out" a scratch?

I just did basically the same thing as MediaSMith - I scratched the whole right side of my black Honda E including the plastic on a kitchen table out on the carport we meant to get rid off.. . . I had no dings, no nothing on this car until about 1/2 an hour ago.

Help !! - Aren't there maybe "plastic" paint kits you could buy from a dealer for that portion? My panels are gray by the way.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i dont think theres really a good way to permanently fix that issue. the plastic is textured. if you sanded or buffed it out it would prob make the area smooth and it would be way more noticeable. pics would help. but if it isnt a gouge...

it shouldnt be too hard to mask the issue with say back to black or other protectants people use on the panels.

as for paint or plastic dye you would endup doing it to all the plastic to match

ive heard of some people using a heat gun carefully to remove scratches but im not sure of the procedure

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Scratch up the rest of the panels to match :lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
scratch up the rest of the panels?

Well actually I had thought of that.... take a very fine wool scrubber, or a very fine piece of sandpaper, but with wool scrubber in very fine grain, being the #1 choice and doing it on a tiny area - say about 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch.....

I'll let you know.... if my hubby were still in molded plastics we could fix this....
but we don't have access to those materials anymore.

·
Registered
17 Posts
for a dealer to see and forward to Honda Motor Co.

Hmm; anybody have another answer? Is there a way to "buff out" a scratch?

I just did basically the same thing as MediaSMith - I scratched the whole right side of my black Honda E including the plastic on a kitchen table out on the carport we meant to get rid off.. . . I had no dings, no nothing on this car until about 1/2 an hour ago.

Help !! - Aren't there maybe "plastic" paint kits you could buy from a dealer for that portion? My panels are gray by the way.
If I were a dealer, I would see this as an opportunity to increase my sales and forward to engineering at Honda Motor Co. We can't be the only two people in the USA or world that scratched our panels . . . . .:grin:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i think the problem with paint isnt the new look. it is possible to get the exact color and look of a new panel....but that is the problem plastic is prone to fading nomatter what element you have or any car for that matter plastic mirrors trim etc. will be a few shades lighter in a few years. use a protectant on just one panel and it makes the rest look like crap and faded.

its the same with painting,replacing,sanding,dyeing unless it was done to all.

if it was me. and i was trying for a sale(making it look good) ide go crazy with cleaning. ide tape off the paint around the panels. degrease "ALL" the panels use a light scotchbrite on "ALL" basicly remove the oxidation from every piece of plastic on your E as long as you keep it consistent the scratches should blend with everything else and if you scrub all areas with same force and time it shouldnt be a noticeable difference from panel to panel. afterwards it would be advisable to use a plastic protectant

if I were a dealer ide see it as a way to sell panel sets or at my dealer...sell the 129.99 detailing ^.^ hehe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts