Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that tires have probably been beat to death on this forum, but here's another. I will say right off the bat that I cannot stand Goodyear tires. I have had past Hondas with them, a Land Rover LR3, and several Corvettes. They are not even, as some joke, Good for a Year. I've had wear problems, noise problems, horrible tread life - you name it. I know that I've had good luck with higher-end Michelins and Pirellis.

I don't want to spend a ton of money - $100-150 a tire would be fine. I did a quick check on TireRack and there aren't a ton of choices that jump out. I did look at a few Yokohama AVID (and perhaps the YK520) reviews and they seem to be decent. So, if I'm not being too lazy about this, can you guys throw out a few SC-specific tires that you've been happy with over the crappy Goodyears? I want something that is quieter, great in the wet and might give a more compliant ride to the ox cart that is the SC. :D Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought my E used and it had Goodyear Fortera Triple Treads. They are great in snow and rain. 80k mile warranty. Previous owner failed to maintain them properly and now they're cupped and feathered so now they make quite a bit of noise. I'd suggest Michelin LTX M/S. As a tire dealer by trade i've never heard a customer complain about them. These will take the place of my GY's if I ever get them to wear out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oddly enough I have the same feeling towards Goodyear as you do. From my experience, they apparently feel they can make sub-par tires and charge a FORTUNE for them just because they are Goodyear.

If I had been thinking when I bought my SC, I would have made a tire change as part of the sale. Unfortunately, it only took me about 1000 miles to realize that the Goodyears that came on the SC were reminding me of the Goodyears that came on my Mazda 3...Loud and marginal wet traction.

Considering the Goodyears on the Mazda required replacement at 17K, I decided to get new Tires ASAP!

At about 1800 miles I had the Yokohama YK520s put on at Discount Tire. There was an INSTANT difference in ride and road noice. Since the Goodyears were so new, I actually got a $45 credit for each of the 4 tires which brought the cost down. In the end I am really happy with the choice. The other place/tire I would consider now would be the Michelin that Coscto offers.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
11 Posts
The same 18" tire size standard on Element SC is available, in Goodyear
Assurrance Comfort Tread, A bit pricey, $140 each at Tire Rack, but I have run these on 2 of my three Elements in a 215-65-16 ( not much OD variance) and I am very
satisfied with the tire over all , winter and summer. I have a 03 and 05 and the ride quality is
vastly improved. On my 09 the ride quality is acceptable with the stock
Badyear Wrangler OEM tires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts