Honda Element Owners Club banner

Goodyear tire rant

2K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  RJG 
#1 ·
Just got back from 60 mile round trip in the pouring rain with the '07' SC. Now, I'm afraid to drive this thing in the rain again because the OEM GoodYear tires have got to be the WORSE TIRES EVER!

They spin so easily it's difficult to leave a stop light without spinning the tires half way through 2nd gear. They seem to have no wet grip whatsoever.

Scary to even think about a panic stop or evasive manuver.

Lots of tread on these Goodyears but there getting replaced ASAP.

#2 · (Edited)
Wow I have never been told that before !

This thread holds some info! See post 97 .

Or this one post 7

Dom

#3 ·
I believe the quote in my signature is relevant...:roll: :lol:

BTW you're preachin' to the choir...and on my 07 I left the OEM tires at the dealer...

#4 ·
Goodyears on my 2010 new Element SC and here at 2200 miles one is already leaking, maybe little nail or something. Shortest I have ever gone on a tire that's for sure. Hope one of these Goodyear retailers lives up to the warranty and I get a new one put on at no charge.

#6 · (Edited)
Lead foot + OEM Goodyear tires = unhappy driver.

VROOM, SCREECH, VROOM, SCREECH, VROOM, SCREECH, SCREEEECH, CRASH! :)

#7 ·
Haha. The term, "lead foot", and Honda Element should never appear in the same sentence.

You're joking right?

#9 ·
[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately, hard acceleration is too often accompanied by speeding, tail gating, frequent lane changing, hard braking, and complaints about other drivers and inadequate horns. :roll: These are characteristics of unskilled or aggressive drivers. [/QUOTE]

Also leads to complaints about what bad miliage these cars get or disbelief of the claims of some posters.

#14 ·
Too many of our contemporaries have lost the willingness to accept new information and overwrite past experience with new experience. They try to hold onto things as they were, not as they are. They lack adaptability.

"Predictability" requires specific knowledge and experience with that specific thing. Expecting anything new to behave like anything else, makes it much harder to acquire the knowledge and experience needed to be able to accept and predict its behavior.

Fortunately for you, you had the resources to replace the tires with ones that help you feel more comfortable in your Element. Fortunately for me, I had the time and willingness to adapt to the characteristics of the Element with its original tires.

Our having different experiences with the same basic vehicle and tires, and our different responses to its handling doesn't make either of us wrong, it's just part of what makes us unique.

Happy driving. :)

#15 ·
I have had a brand new '08 Jeep Liberty, and now a '10 E with the same GY Wrangler tire on them. I am a 63 year young female that is not an aggressive driver at all. These tires are a poor example of a tire. I had problems with traction etc. with the Liberty, and knowing that, I now notice it with these same tires on the Element. When you spend your hard earned $$ on a new car it makes me sad they cut corners on the tires......your life depends on your tires!!! I, for one, am tired of the quality of the Wranglers, and my life is important to me. So I WILL be replacing them ASAP!!!!!!!!!! They seem (just) OK on dry pavement, but let it rain, or snow in the winter, and they are downright daaaaangerous:shock::shock:

#16 ·
Don't the 2010s have traction control? Maybe these old folks (I'm qualified-54 yrs old) should just turn it on! My 07 SC has it, I don't have traction troubles unless I'm really goosing it with the traction control off. That's MY fault. The Goodyears the SC came with lasted 53k miles on the front, and I replaced them with the same. The rear tires still look as new. :?

#17 ·
My Liberty had the traction control. The tires still had a lot of tread left on them....the Jeep only had 23000 miles on it. But they were downright dangerous when it rained or snowed. And I expect the same with the Element. Haven't had it long enough through the rain, and won't know till winter on the snow. But I'm not waiting that long;-) Didn't turn on the traction on the Jeep until I had snowy/ice conditions...you can ruin the traction otherwise. I was getting ready to buy new tires right before I decided on the Element again. For the most part, all new cars have the cheaper tires for OEM tires:twisted::twisted:

#20 ·
Just an FYI The SC got better tires than the LX and EX got.

Dom

#21 ·
NO!! The LS2 is a total POS as well!!!

#23 · (Edited)
When I bought my 2008 E that had 21,000 miles on it. The dealer had replaced the tires on the front and the back tires were bald. Had them replace the back ones too.
Thought it odd that the Goodyear's on this E would bald out at only 21,000 miles.

Granted I don't know how the previous owner drove but still.

I am gentle on my cars and do not drive a whole lot, so will see how long the 2nd set lasts.
So far, no problem in the rain with the new stock Goodyear tires and we have a lot of rain here this year. Feels more like winter than summer.
I drive a combo of paved streets and gravel dirt roads up in the hills with many tight turns, including a couple of hair pins.

Personally on all my past cars I put on Bridgestone Turanza tires, which I really like. Cuts the road noise, helps with the side to side roll (not that the E has much of that), makes a big difference on how the cars ride and they last a long time.

Just wish they made them for the E, because once these stock tires are done, I want to go back to using Bridgestones.

#24 ·
I've got no complaints with the stock tires on my 2010. But I didn't expect premium tires as original equipment. In Central Florida, all we have to deal with is rain and heat.

I'm kinda confused how you get the tires to spin with traction control. And I can't understand why you would ever turn it off. If you were stuck in snow, and moving car back and forth to get un stuck or someting is only reason I can figure. Otherwise....leave it on. I believe on my E, default setting is on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.