Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i just thought id post this, its in the developmental stage. Its made of wood and resin then painted. The gps mount is a suction style. i left it hollow behind to tuck the wires away. But I thought some of u might like the idea and run with it because the windshild is to far out to reach and the dash type blocks my line of sight and again im to lazy to reach (id rather spend 5 hours making somthing than an reaching an extra 6 inches) Its just the principalof the thing!!. If anyone has any good suggestions to improve, throw in ur 2 cents but so far its been perfect, kina ugly but works.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i took off the speaker cover and screwed it from behind with 1/2" drywall screws. looks totally flush from the front. i also put the fuzzy velcro along the edges to make it more flush and avoid any rattles.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
It is too far down, you should not be looking away from traffic to see your gps, thats how accidents happen.

·
Registered
351 Posts
If you have a suction cup mount, do you mind me asking why you just dont attach it to the corner of the windshield?

·
Registered
536 Posts
GPS Mount

I agree with insane SC. It is mounted out of the line of sight and frankly I think it would be a major distraction. Worse than someone driving and talking on a cell phone...which by the way I wish someone would pass a law against talking on the cell and driving.

·
Registered
216 Posts
It is too far down...
I also agree.

I mount my Nuvi via the supplied suction cup just to the left of the rear-view mirror, usually just a bit higher than seen here.

It's right where I'm conditioned to look for the rear view mirror, and keeps traffic threats at least in my peripheral vision.

It looks as if it would block my vision, but it really doesn't, and I'm 6'1".

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes.. but i tried that but when i put it on the front window, i have to reach so far forward as the mount is kina short i cant drive at all. Then i tried in the driver door window, but shutting the door while the GPS was in the cradel (cant affod another) made me uneasy.
Then at night it can be kinda glaring on those long trips, even when i turn the dimmer down when its up in the front window, but being down its out of my line of sight.
First, it has a sexy New Zealand accent so i really dont look much, but i really dont mess with it that much when im driving, and when i do it's done only when safe, this model has a great database and finding stuff is really quick but if its an address i usally pullover.

Which as a a side note, ANYBODY WITH KIDS NEEDS TO SHOW THIS TO YOUR TEEN DRIVERS!! Graphic Texting Car Crash - PSA Sparks Controversy on youtube.com
i saw this on the news and really drives that pioint home about the dangers of people and phons while driving.

So in the end, like so many of those out never happy with just settling for somthing i didnt like there i hade to find something that worked for me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh ya apreciate it.
that is just my pros and cons for putting it there. i was even thinking about fiberglassing a notch in the dash to hold it but havent had the spair time.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
I just got a Tomtom, and find that it works well with a beanbag just above the instruments by the radio. This places it just below my line of sight out the windshield. When parking I can just place the gps, beanbag and all, on the floor, outofsight. My only question is how stable it will be when driving on rough backcountry roads.

·
Registered
224 Posts
GPS/Cell phone holder

I have read and thought about many of the mounting devices ( I am very particular) and have purchased and installed a Bracketron GPS vent mount.I

I installed it on the vent to the right of the steering wheel where it is very easy to see. The mount rotates, so in a vertical position, it does a great job of holding my iPhone and very easy to see when getting a call.

I will post pictures if anyone has any interest. You might wonder how I do the cell phone and the GPS when both are required ? The iPhone just takes second place in the cup holder cell phone unit.

It all works well and looks good to me!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Mine came with a little disk with peel and stick tape on the back that I placed on the dash. The suction cup mount attaches to it. Convenient location and does not interfere with the view out the windshield at all.

·
Registered
244 Posts
+1 on Bean Bag

I just got a Tomtom, and find that it works well with a beanbag just above the instruments by the radio. This places it just below my line of sight out the windshield. When parking I can just place the gps, beanbag and all, on the floor, outofsight. My only question is how stable it will be when driving on rough backcountry roads.
After playing with some options, including on the windshield and on the console.... I think I'm going to get the bean bag also.

I like the ease of placing it out of sight when parked. AND I can easily move it to another car if/when needed. It just works for me.

Although, I have to admit... I've been OK with it set in the console of my SC in about the same location as the original poster!

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
I just got back from a 2 week vacation in Canada (BC and Alberta), my first using the TomTom. I mounted the TT bracket in the 'box' under my single DIN (after market) headunit. It's just held in there with a chunk of foam.

This location is below my line of sight (compared to the near dash), but closer to my hands. It is also not a visible from outside, though I did remove it when leaving the car for longer time.

I had the beanbag with me, but wasn't tempted to use it.

For some of the trip I also used an old handheld GPS to record my track. I used to keep that in a bracket next to the headunit, but this time I just set it on a stickypad on the dash, since I did not need to look at it while driving.

I also had a hockeypuck (USB) gps receiver and notebook computer with me. I could have used it while driving, but this trip I just used it to record my position each night at the campsite. My software on the notebook was GPS Trackmaker and an old copy of MS Streets & Trips.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine's been hanging on strong suctioned cupped to the smooth plastic on top of the center console. Seemed to be a good solution for me!

Jon

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mine came with a little disk with peel and stick tape on the back that I placed on the dash. The suction cup mount attaches to it. Convenient location and does not interfere with the view out the windshield at all.

That is the exact same location I put mine and I love it. Easy to see and does not impede vision through the windshield.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm using the disk on the dash as well. I did try the windshield but it was too far to reach.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts