Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I'm about to get a Garmin Nuvi 265 and wanted to get a fixed dash mount like the panavise http://www.panaviseonline.com/product.php?id=1366. What does everyone do with their GPS when they leave the vehicle? Does everyone remove them from the mount and hide them?
Mine (Nuvi 200) mounts on the dash with an easily removable bean-bag mount, for long trips. For short ones, the Nuvi just gets set up on the cubby shelf right in front of the power port, for viewing. Whenever out of the vehicle, the Nuvi is in the Glove Box, and the bean-bag mount in back of the floor console. Lots of people on the GPS boards have had their cars broken into just because they had a GPS type mount on the dash. Assumption seems to be, if the mount is there, the GPS is in the car someplace too.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Beanbag mount here. Everything is easily stashed away when not on the road. I want no indication that there is even a GPS in the car when I'm parked. Even an empty mount is a flag to thieves that there is a good chance that there is a GPS in the car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Use the bean-bag

Bean bag mount...leaves no trace, sets right where you need to see the screen, and in California, a suction-cup mount is illegal except in lower right or left corners. Bean bag is a fine solution.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
And to reinforce the illusion that there is nothing valuable in my car: the Garmin, its wires and the beanbag mount are kept in an old McDonalds paper bag on the floor when the car is parked. How's that for stealth?:-D

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm about to get a Garmin Nuvi 265 and wanted to get a fixed dash mount like the panavise http://www.panaviseonline.com/product.php?id=1366. What does everyone do with their GPS when they leave the vehicle? Does everyone remove them from the mount and hide them?
The best rule of thumb is not to leave "anything" of value visible in your car. Depending where your car is parked, people have returned to their car to find it has been broken into for something as minor as pocket change.

Leave nothing of value and you will never blame yourself in the event you car has been broken into.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Garmin for me is very uncomfortable to put on\off. I use xDevice wife-Tibo. It works with unlicensed software/maps for 3 years in US, Russia, Europe, China, Africa with no problem. installation is easy (garmin`s products are very secure). Gajets are twice ceaper as Garmin.:grin:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I find that the suction mount of the garmin works well face down right on the dash. The smooth part right in the center of the dash above the radio.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Beanbag mount here. Everything is easily stashed away when not on the road. I want no indication that there is even a GPS in the car when I'm parked. Even an empty mount is a flag to thieves that there is a good chance that there is a GPS in the car.
This is what I do also. I try to take the set up down a block or two before I get to where I'm going to park. Throw a sweat shirt over it between the front seats. If the area really makes me nervous I'll take it with me.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I always take anything of value from the vehicle. I keep a pocket free in my jacket during the winter for my GPS or toss it in my gear bag.
I'll wager you insurance deductible for stolen stuff will be a bigger pain than you've imagined (I know from watching what a buddy of mine went through)
Better Safe Than Sorry.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I bought this at Sam's Club last week.
It is a Garmin Friction mount. It is mold-able to the curve of your dash, wherever you place it.
I placed it in this position because it is easy for me to key in addresses on the front panel, plus has the added advantage of being visible, yet does not impede my view of the road.

I paid $29.99 at Sam's Club but they don't have a link to it on their Web Site.
I found another online link to it at Radio Shack for $39.99
http://snipurl.com/tfyyv [www_radioshack_com]

I really like it, and will recommend it.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts