Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a Greyhound they are using as a blood donor? My vet just gave Samlur, my Greyt 2 1/2 Greyhound, the go ahead to be a blood donor. I am so excited that Samlur may help save a life. He is young and in Greyt health. He just had a complete exam and came out with flying colors. He is such a good boy. I am a Certified Dog Trainer, by profession and am CGC Certified tester and a member of the ADPT, but I am the most proud of this! :D

·
Registered
304 Posts
Does anyone have a Greyhound they are using as a blood donor? :D
I don't have a grey, but I volunteer at Hemopet in Southern California. They rescue greys from the track and use them as blood donors while socializing them. The dogs then go into foster homes and get adopted. As a result, their lives are saved and they save the lives of other dogs.

I think it's wonderful you're becoming a blood donor team! Anyone whose dog has ever needed a blood transfusion will appreciate what you're doing.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I don't know about pet blood bank, but I know the greys at Hemopet are very well cared for and treated with the ultmost respect. In fact, they are now building a new facility where the dogs will live in home-like conditions - not kennels. If these dogs hadn't gone to Hemopet (and subsequently adopted to loving homes, they would have been euthanized.

I know many people whose dogs have required blood transfusions and most of the blood comes from greys.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a 4 year old Doberman that is a b need lood donor. It is great to help out another dog. I live 5 minutes away from the emergency vet and to get that call that they need blood right away is very rewarding. Bless you for helping out.

·
Registered
730 Posts
If you wanted your dogs to donate, do you just call up any local vet and set up an appointment or are there specific locations that do this only? :confused: I've never really thought about this before. I do give blood myself every chance I get and think it would be a good practice that my dogs could help other K9s.

·
Registered
96 Posts
In MN we have an emergency vet clinic that runs the blood bank. The University of MN Vet school also runs one. I am sure if you check with your vet they can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you wanted your dogs to donate, do you just call up any local vet and set up an appointment or are there specific locations that do this only? :confused: I've never really thought about this before. I do give blood myself every chance I get and think it would be a good practice that my dogs could help other K9s.
My regular Veterinarian asked me if I would do this. They do have to Type your dogs blood in advance. I also got a Donor Card that has the pertinent info. Depending on where you end up working with, you can get certain perks for the use of the dogs service. You have to also be aware that it is sort of like an Emergency phone call to you so you can bring in your dog to donate ASAP if another dogs life is at stake.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts