Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a hitch installer today in an unrelated Element incident when my friend needed a lift installed for her new Ford Windstar and I asked the dealer about a grill guard, whether he could fabricate one for it. He looked it up in his book and Lo and BEHOLD the Element was listed, but with no parts available! He suggested that since it was listed that aftermarket (and dealer)parts would soon be on the scene, and perhaps one would be built soon for it THAT WOULD FIT! So Fellow E owners who want a grill guard, hang in there. Also, I emailed a manufacturer of grill guards asking if they would like to use my E as a test car for measuring and making a guard I would gladly offer it to them for measuring and beta testing purposes. They told me that they had one coming soon for that very purpose but thanks for the offer. Fellow babies, it won't be long now!!

Ger

· Registered
253 Posts
Yes, I went to a shop to check on rims and I asked about a grill guard, but they didn't have any available :( I would like to have one exactly like a Hummer's!

· Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah yes Burnt O, how exactly alike we are, yes indeed. I also would like to have one like a scaled down Hummer, because we have Mini-Hummers and it would look great!

Ger

· Registered
253 Posts
At least it is in the works. The E came out in December. You would think the aftermarket accessories would be made by now! Keep me informed!

· Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apparently Jay and Axcilla are not following what burnt and I are talking about. We are talking about a BUMPER/Grill guard, like what four-wheelers use on the front and looks like a roll of steel surrounding the front that one can push another vehicle with. Not some wimpy mesh-y grill filler for some sporty car like a S-2000. Remember, we are talking stuff for the E here, not a sports car. Get on the ball fellas!! :evil: :!: :!:

Ger

· Registered
447 Posts
Yes, there is a difference between grill "guard" and "insert".

I've seen them misused frequently, so don't get too excited... I'm sure Axcilla hears even more misnomers.

My "grill filler" is not whimpy (true, it's not attached to the chassis, but it isn't expected to stop pigs and boulders). :lol:

The Element is a street car for 90%+ people, and that's the way the chassis is built. Most people will want an tasteful yet functional grill insert... those who need to maintain their testosterone with big chrome bars really shouldn't be buying a Element :roll: Of course, that's my opinion... and probably the opinion of people with "real" off-road vehicles that aren't "wimpy". ;)

It's like those Civics out there with big basket handles on the rear trunk lid.

[quote:5d6bece6ab="Ger Brassfield"]Apparently Jay and Axcilla are not following what burnt and I are talking about. We are talking about a BUMPER/Grill guard, like what four-wheelers use on the front and looks like a roll of steel surrounding the front that one can push another vehicle with. Not some wimpy mesh-y grill filler for some sporty car like a S-2000. Remember, we are talking stuff for the E here, not a sports car. Get on the ball fellas!! :evil: :!: :!:

Ger[/quote:5d6bece6ab]

· Registered
358 Posts
[quote:beca225168="Ger Brassfield"]Apparently Jay and Axcilla are not following what burnt and I are talking about. Not some wimpy mesh-y grill filler for some sporty car like a S-2000. Remember, we are talking stuff for the E here, not a sports car. Get on the ball fellas!! :evil: :!: :!:

Ger[/quote:beca225168]

Well, well. Pardon me if I thought you were talking about the grill insert (which by the way, is reall not very wimpy if you have looked at how fragile the condensor fins are). Now I know what you are talking about. But why would you want a big grill guard on a car that is not meant to be driven off the road? It will look a little silly going to the local McDonalds with a cow catcher on the front.

The E is not designed to be an off the road vehicle. It is heavy, but it is built on a compact car chassis. In fact it weighs 200 lbs more than the CRV that it is based on. It has 6.9" of ground clearance. As a comparison: a Ford Focus STATIONWAGON has 7.7" of ground clearance. It has a great hybrid 4WD system that was designed for only road and highway use. The E is a great, cool car but it was never designed to be an off road vehicle. Plus, in a snow storm or in the desert, you are never going to be pushing a car with the E anyway.

Don't get me wrong: I really enjoy my new EX. It is cool looking, fun to drive, extremely well built and very much a utility vehicle. But I am very clear as to what it was designed for. It is not for off the road hard use. Of course you can "decorate" your E anyway you want, but why make it look like something it isn't? You are correct: maybe I am not "on the ball enough". I better stick to the biker bars and the Harley Davidson chat lines!

· Registered
1,118 Posts
Don't get me wrong: I really enjoy my new EX. But I am very clear as to what it was designed for.
What, in your opinion was it designed for? I got the impression from the ads and marketing that it was designed similar to the CRV, an Active Lifestyle Vehicle. It is capable of snowy conditions, but also fire roads and access roads.

The nicest thing about the element is its broad appeal, Some like it as a sporty street car, some like it as a utility/camping vehicle. Dress according to your tastes.

those who need to maintain their testosterone with big chrome bars really shouldn't be buying a Element Of course, that's my opinion... and probably the opinion of people with "real" off-road vehicles that aren't "wimpy".
If you look at the off road capabilities of most SUVs, I'll bet you will be surprised how limited it is.

Had a real off road truck traded for the element. I plan to hit the aftermarket to make mine look tougher.

Rice it up or beef it up to each his own. The element is a great all round vehicle we don't need to camps fighting each other about who is right when we are talking opinions.

Just my opinion, but I think we all just need to get along.

· Registered
358 Posts
[quote:3119bb0994="boneheadz"]

What, in your opinion was it designed for? I got the impression from the ads and marketing that it was designed similar to the CRV, an Active Lifestyle Vehicle. It is capable of snowy conditions, but also fire roads and access roads.

Just my opinion, but I think we all just need to get along.[/quote:3119bb0994]

I really don't think that the Element was designed for any off the road activity. The very low ground clearance, and unprotected composite gas tank, really limits any off the road activity. 6.9" ground clearance is very low. Seriously, you have to remember what I mentioned. A Ford Focus Stationwagon has more clearance. Also, don't forget that the CRV has 8.1" of clearance. Other than that the E is really wonderful. I think it will be great in the New England snowy winter roads with the Reat Time 4WD. You are right. It is an Active Lifestyle Vehicle, but I don't really know what the means. All I know is I like it for what it was designed for (which seems to be my lifestyle)!

On the other point: You are correct. To each his own. And, it is good to try and get along. I just don't take well to being told to "get on the ball".

· Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for the GREAT NEWS! Consider my money spent already!

Here is a generalized pic for those who don't understand our mantra:

How much do you guess a grill guard will cost? I have never owned an SUV before. Hundreds? Thousands? Shoot me some numbers...

Do you think we will be able to buy the rear tail light guards soon, too?

· Registered
447 Posts
Thanks for saying what I was thinking... Peace!

[quote:b2379313cd="jayharley"]
I just don't take well to being told to "get on the ball".[/quote:b2379313cd]

· Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I put big chrome wheels and big off-road swamper tires on my E, that doesn't necessarily mean I am gonna go off-road. I just like the looks.
And the picture that dst posted with a grill on a Hummer(?) is what I am talking about.....No off-road hoop-de-dooo's, no pushing a racecar or any car, just want protection and the LOOKS of ruggedness to it.

ALRIGHT?? And who says I am not getting along with anyone??

Ger

· Registered
358 Posts
[quote:cc90149710="rodaniel"]Actually, I'd be really happy with a more modest version like this:

And, truth be told, I'm more interested in this for the aesthetics than actual off-road protection. I think a black version of this would look killer on my Shoreline Mist E. 8)[/quote:cc90149710]

Now I must admit that this one would look great. I know I was very vocal about not decorating my E with off road stuff, but this guard is smaller and just cool looking, like the car itself.

· Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rodaniel

Yeah, that one looks good too! Perhaps a slightly taller version, or wider version, and black powder coated, of course.

See? I get along.

Ger

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.