Honda Element Owners Club banner

!Grill Guards and Tail Light Guards for the E!

4K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  Einstein 
#1 ·
#2 ·
[quote:13dd5208d4="dstranathan"]Today is a GOOD day:

Grill:

http://www.suvxccessory.com/xccessory/h1m2-6048.html

Tail Light:

http://www.suvxccessory.com/xccessory/h1m2-t5593.html

I have been waiting a LONG time for these! :0)

I just ordered them!

Now, should I still get a Cloud-Rider grill? Hmmm.......[/quote:13dd5208d4]

I emailed this company today and they plan to make a smaller inverted "U" shaped brush guard in polished stainless in a few months. That is what I want. It will look great on a silver E with the stainless CloudRider that I have.

#3 ·
I kinda like the tail light protectors.

However, the "brush guard" practically eliminates safety for pedestrians. In addition, if it's hooked to the frame of the car, the airbags will not inflate the way they are supposed to because the imact pulse will not be the same.

#5 ·
Good points. I like the taillight protectors as well, but my budgeting sense is kicking in, for now. If I saw someone with them on their "E", I would definitely consider them.

#9 ·
[quote:b035671ab1="dstranathan"]I will take pictures of the install too.

I already have a nose mask (bra). Will that look bad with the grill guard?[/quote:b035671ab1]

I think it should look fine. Not sure what color your E is, but with the bra being black and the brush guard being black, it should all look fine.

#10 ·
[quote:15cb25847b="jayharley"][quote:15cb25847b="dstranathan"]I will take pictures of the install too.

I already have a nose mask (bra). Will that look bad with the grill guard?[/quote:15cb25847b]

I think it should look fine. Not sure what color your E is, but with the bra being black and the brush guard being black, it should all look fine.[/quote:15cb25847b]

Oops. I have a Shoreline Mist E, with the rear bumper cover, the bra, and the roof rack. The rear tail light buards are ordered, and the front grill guard is next. I am considering the Cloud-Rider grills too, and maybe the spoiler, the running boards and maybe even a fancy silver antenna. Can't do too much silver with the Shoreline Mist, I need to stick to the black stuff.

#11 ·
I can see the tail-light grills will protect the lights from getting broken if you are in a wreck...what is the point of having the front grill? If you get hit, more than likely the airbag won't deploy because the sensors will be blocked. Just curious...guess it is for looks only I think it looks bad. Tell me what I'm missing.

#14 ·
I don't call it a bush guard. I call it the urban shopping cart persuader.
My boss was pissed the air headed secretarys told him I bought a Hummer.
HE said I heard you bought a hummer. I said "try Honda".
I bought one of the first CRX no35 in the U.S.. I was at a gas station when this gas station attendant came up to me and said "is that them there one of those new porscheees". People I guess don't know cars.

#16 ·
If you get hit, more than likely the airbag won't deploy because the sensors will be blocked.
Where are the sensors located? If they are measuring force against the front bumper, as I would guess and if the brush guard is mounted with contact against the front bumper, wouldn't the force of an impact against the brush guard be transferred through it to the bumper as if the bumper itself received the direct impact?

-A (admittedly not a physicist, nor an automobile safety design engineer, nor do I play either on TV)

#17 ·
I like the tail light guards, but would like to see them in person before I buy (esp. at that price).

Plus I am sure if we all wait a bit there will be tons more aftermarket guards, grills, and other E flair available very soon!

Remember good things come to those who wait! (I know it is agony!)

But since I have added about $1500 in accessories in the last month I think my E has been properly pampered for a bit!

#20 ·
The airbag inflating and deflating happens extremely fast. It's imperative that the airbag deploy at the proper instant so that the occupants are protected by the inflated airbag. If the brush guard is attached to the frame of the car, the impact pulse will be sooner than if the relatively soft bumper and crush zone was hit. This means the airbag might be deployed and expired by the time the occupant's body is moving forward into the airbag zone.

Hope that helps explain it...

[quote:3175b9b945="lizzurd"]On newer generation vehicles the airbag sensors are actually built into the control unit under the dash.A brush guard shouldnt have any affect on air bag deployment.[/quote:3175b9b945]

#22 ·
I went thru 4 brushguards on my Isuzu Trooper. The paint on it kept flaking off, bubbling up and rust would form. They all were under warranty but I still had to go to the trouble of having it removed and replaced which was a major pain. I finally got one that did hold up with a good powdercoat finish. I would say don't even think of purchasing it without a warranty and a powdercoat finish. YOU WILL BE SORRY. Since I have been there and done that I won't be buying anymore even though they look nice they are heavy and will in some cases make your vehicle handle differently than it normally would without it. My Trooper actually developed a shimmy that never went away unless the dang thing was off. I lived with it and got used to it. I think unless the manufacturer makes one for that particular vehicle I wouldn't bother with it.

LittleDogBox
Arlington, Va.

#23 ·
[quote:b5ec116f80="LittleDogBox"]I went thru 4 brushguards on my Isuzu Trooper. The paint on it kept flaking off, bubbling up and rust would form. They all were under warranty but I still had to go to the trouble of having it removed and replaced which was a major pain. I finally got one that did hold up with a good powdercoat finish. I would say don't even think of purchasing it without a warranty and a powdercoat finish. YOU WILL BE SORRY. I think unless the manufacturer makes one for that particular vehicle I wouldn't bother with it.

LittleDogBox
Arlington, Va.[/quote:b5ec116f80]

You are correct about powder coated product. It is "OK" for certain applications, but I am not thrilled with it when you live in a rainy area or snow belt. Even Cloud Rider, who makes the grill guards, advised that I buy the polished stainless version, of their product, instead of the powdercoated black one. They said that the powdercoated version can and will eventually chip, from snow, sand, road salt etc.

If someone eventually makes a simple inverted U shaped brushguard in chrome, I will buy one for the E. The look pretty cool and are not heavy.

#24 ·
[quote:ddb7a4f8e6="loadropper"]WOW!!! Are those EXPENSIVE!!! $119 for the tail light guards!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!! I'd have to take out a loan just to pay for those!!!

I'll wait awhile.[/quote:ddb7a4f8e6]

...uhmmm same thought... :roll: .....( just for looks... :roll: ..the only off roading my wife would do is at the parking lot in the MALL ..chi...chiinnn..)

#25 ·
Well, I ordered my bush/brush/shopping cart guard the first night it was posted (about 9PM on a Wednesday). Low and behold, come Friday AM, wifey calls me at work and sez IT has arrived!! Got home, took off the old hand made one I had made (looked like a push bar across the bottom to push racecars, as I do race videos locally) and put the new one on. Took no pictures, did not time myself but came to the conclusion that it took about 90 minutes to complete the project. I really dig the look of the wrap around headlight screen! Glad I got it, but I'll wait for another type of taillight treatment.

Ger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.