Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front unit will not tilt back far enough towards body.
The two bottom main brackets are mounted flush and have proper 90 degree bends.
The forward holes of bottom main bracket while somewhat oblong do not provide for about 3 inches of adjustment needed to get the bar closer to body of car....which is evident since two top support braces by headlights will not reach proper holes to body reaching only the headlight bolt.

should look like this.

and

snug to bumper.

Instead it looks like this ....The fog light bar is not level either it's tilted dowards with rest of unit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I put one of these and a set of nerf bars on so my mom could get in my car easier. I didn't quite have the problem you do but the top brackets did need some re bending to get installed. Maybe if you add some washers under the lower mount rear bolts it will tip it back but then the top brackets wouldn't fit.

When I tried removing the grille guard a year later to replace the headlights it was so rusted it wouldn't come apart. So now I have only the lower brackets sticking out the bottom, people always ask me if they're for a snow plow! The nerf bars are still on but have rusted up quite a bit as well.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a a local shop install it since a newly painted bumper / grillle was being installed same time. Now will spend my day off today removing it, re-installing it from scratch while using "never seize" on lower mounting bolts........jeesh.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,820 Posts
I put one of these and a set of nerf bars on so my mom could get in my car easier. I didn't quite have the problem you do but the top brackets did need some re bending to get installed. Maybe if you add some washers under the lower mount rear bolts it will tip it back but then the top brackets wouldn't fit.

When I tried removing the grille guard a year later to replace the headlights it was so rusted it wouldn't come apart. So now I have only the lower brackets sticking out the bottom, people always ask me if they're for a snow plow! The nerf bars are still on but have rusted up quite a bit as well.
?? Does you Mom ever need to climb on the hood to get in?? ;)

NEVER trust paint on a metal exterior car accessory to be rust resistant. - or to have primer under it.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sometimes, if you want the job done right you just have to do it yourself.....I took it all apart and put it together on my own. Too bad Hunter no longer makes them.....I get a sense they had better construction...

Waiting on GOBI to make/send the rear ladder....then prob get their roof rack system.

·
Registered
2007 Element EX AWD AT (two!)
505 Posts
So by taking it apart and putting it back together, does it now fit correctly? What was the issue?

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The guy(s) putting it together at the body shop apparently hadnt a clue....and yes there were 3 ! Like a light bulb joke....They messed up the upper braces attaching them to the headlight housing screws. They never utilized the lower oblong adjusting holes to fullest extent.....I had to "rebend" the upper two strap braces and then repaint them with black bumper paint to make them look like new again....God knows what the brackets looked like when new....and since they threw away the instructions all I had was a "how to" video for a Hunter brand unit.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Sounds like they threw the instructions away before they tried to mount it.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was told... " That thing was heavy, took 3 guys to hold it up and mount it ".

In lieu of loosely connecting two bottom bolts each side then hinging the unit upwards with one hand.....Christ there must be dozens of Youtube how to's on this...."Mechanic Mankind" is doomed....no common sense lacking necessary problem solving skills coupled with a lack of ambition....sad.

·
Registered
505 Posts
That's why I buy an OEM service manual for any vehicle I buy with an intent to keep it for a while. I do the vast majority of my own maintenance. And have done a fair amount on some of my children's cars and had some long conversations with a dealer service department in Des Moines, IA trying to get them to properly diagnose my daughter's P2646 problem.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agreed ! I have 243K miles on a 2003 MINI because the maintenance is done by me and ONE MINI tech I know.... Thing is in the case of my E, I was having a; new griile, bumper, OEM fog light installed due to an idiot driver. The aforementioned full grille guard was a "while your in there removing old bull bar, please install full grille guard...."

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'm at 389K on my 90 Accord, but probably only half of it is still original parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts