Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"Dugless" did a great job with his billet-look radiator guard. Other members have posted bits and pieces on guards and installs. Here's a step-by-step guide to the cheapest and easiest grille guard you can get. It does NOT require removal of the front end!

Picture 1 (below) shows everything you'll need:

"Gutter Guard" from Lowe's. You'll find it in the far rear corner of the store with the roofing supplies.

"8 inch cable ties" from Wal Mart - hardware/electrical. Lowe's sells 'em, too, but the small ones are too short, and the long ones are too thick (visible after install).

Phillips S.D. to remove the license plate frame

Flat S.D. to pry out bumper guard fasteners

Razor Knife to cut Gutter Guard and Cable Ties

Needle-nose Pliers to help with Cable Tie routing

Cut a piece of Gutter Guard to proper length (height already is perfect). Also, remove the license plate frame.

Picture 2 shows the six fasteners to pry out with the flat s.d. They each come out in two pieces - a tab and an insert. The bumper guard bends down easily, and allows you to slide the Gutter Guard up behind the grille and in front of the radiator.

3 shows how the Gutter Guard will stand in place once inside.

4 shows the locations to fasten Cable Ties. Leave the lower center grille brace unfastened, so you can re-install the license plate frame later. Use N.N. pliers here to pull the ends of the zip ties around the grille braces. After you tighten and trim the zips, hide the fastener locks on the back side of the grille braces.

5 shows the re-installed license plate frame, and the final Cable Tie location.

6 shows the finished product: cost $5, installation 1/2 hour. It looks great, won't rust, and if it ever breaks, you have Gutter Guard and Cable Ties left over to make another one.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Nice job with the pics and instructions. I installed mine a week after I bought the Orange Krate and after a trip to Arizona, gotta say it really works! A friend of mine has 2003 E without the guards and his condensor has a lot of dings after only 35,000 miles. Got my stuff at Home Depot.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I too went the home depot route. I think I'll eventually be getting the brushed billet grille, but in the meantime, it does the job!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hmm... I was worried about it looking like crap... but that looks pretty good. :) I might have to spend the $5. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Terrific job w/ the instructions and the pics. I can't tell but is the guard you purchased metal or plastic? I'd like to do the same.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's plastic. You'll also find rigid plastic (not rolled) and metal screens next to the Gutter Guard in Lowe's. Use whichever suits your taste.

The rigid plastic one is brown. Another member posted pics of that, and it looks allright. The metal ones should be painted or at least clear-coated before install.

Whatever you use, put SOMETHING there. After only 100 miles, my E's cooling fins had a few dents. Can't believe that Honda just leaves the radiator exposed like that.

·
Registered
645 Posts
That's exactly the same stuff I used... It works pretty well, but not exactly the stiffest material in the world. It bends pretty easily if you crank too hard down with a zip tie.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Very helpful. I picked up my EX four days ago and after eighty-eight odometer miles, it had about 10 dings in the radiator. I hurried to my local Ace Hardware and picked up the Gutter Guard and cable ties. Spent about an hour installing. I've subsequently put two hundred "ding free" miles on the odometer. :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
I did the gutter guard mod yesterday. Couldn't believe how easy it was to take the front off. Of all the mods posted this has to be the easiest and most effective for the dollar.

·
Registered
113 Posts
That grill cover looks great!!! I may try it..Well worth the $5.00.
I have a question, has anyone tried the Grill-tech grill guards avail on Ebay?
They look like a great deal at about $70.00 for both the upper and the lower, but I am just not sure. Has anyone bought and installed them and if you have what do you think of it?

Please let me know!!!
My lower condenser is getting its grills bent real bad.

Thanks,
Jay

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wow, that looks really great, almost matches the plastic panels perfectly, gotta get my bum to lowes/home depot and spend 5 bucks in a hurry...Got plans to put it on this weekend, just in time for a few more dents here and there from road grime!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here's an even better one. Home depot has gutter guard that is silver wire mesh, not thin mesh about 1/4 in. diamonds. You get 5 for $4.00. and they fit almost exactly,have to cut @3 in. in length.Sturddier than the plastic safer in long run and you don't have to paint. :roll:

·
Registered
110 Posts
nebnebula said:
Here's an even better one. Home depot has gutter guard that is silver wire mesh, not thin mesh about 1/4 in. diamonds. You get 5 for $4.00. and they fit almost exactly,have to cut @3 in. in length.Sturddier than the plastic safer in long run and you don't have to paint. :roll:
you got a link for the material? or the name of the company?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Her's a picture of mine with the Home Depot mesh installed.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Wilyumm said:
Her's a picture of mine with the Home Depot mesh installed.
Yea, Wilyumm. that looks really nice. Please let us know what brand and/or what the name of that material is. Also curious if you mounted it with cable ties? If you did, its really difficult to see them. I think that looks great when compared to the plastic mesh.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just got finished with this mod, it looks great and was easy to do. I already had zip ties so all i had to do was get the mesh, $2.84 with tax at lowes. Money very well spent. i had to wash the car to do the mod, had a ton of bugs on the front.
The instructions were really easy to follow. THANKS!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts