Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to throw my issue out there for some feed back. Will be taking the girl into the shop soon anyways, but would really like to narrow the issue down.

When driving up to speed <25mph I hear a grinding noise shortly after I let off the throttle. I could be in 2nd-5th gear when this happens. To avoid the noise, I throw it into neutral instead. I don't like doing this, but the sound does go away.

Kind of sounds like a bicycle with a Pokemon card pinned, grazing along the spokes.

Has anyone had this issue? Any information greatly appreciated!

Avery

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sound goes away as soon as I step on the clutch (In Gear). Same with throwing it into neutral and floating down the road.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can't say I have much experience on the transmission side, but my short time googling has shown a few threads with similar symptoms that mention input shaft or output shaft bearings. As soon as a load is applied possible slack is taken up in the bearing and noise will go away. Take the load away (coasting, stepping on clutch) and the sound appears. Just a possibility, take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't say I have much experience on the transmission side, but my short time googling has shown a few threads with similar symptoms that mention input shaft or output shaft bearings. As soon as a load is applied possible slack is taken up in the bearing and noise will go away. Take the load away (coasting, stepping on clutch) and the sound appears. Just a possibility, take it with a grain of salt.
Thanks, I appreciate your input. I will mention the possibility to my mechanic. It does sound very likely. The car overall drives great, but it has just exceeded 220,000 miles and I have taken the car through some pretty rough terrain the past two summers....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts