Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I left my E outside for a week. During that time, it rained, iced, and snowed..

Drove it today and naturally the calipers are kinda rusted onto the rotors. I sprayed some WD40 into each disc the night before to "help" loosen that crap up.

Anyway, after about 15 miles of driving the brake grinding noise are slowly going away. However, when I make 90deg left turns, I hear a grinding & slow pulsating noise from the rear passenger wheel, almost like the caliper is still grinding against the rotor. But this only occurs when I'm turning left and also fast enough so that the E has a slight bank. Perhaps with more driving, this will go away, but I've driven probably 40 miles round trip today for work and when I got home that noise is still there... any ideas what it might be?

Maybe this is the E's way of punishing me for leaving her out in the elements for a whole week.

·
Registered
536 Posts
First, welcome to the EOC! There is a wealth of knowledge to be gained on this site.
The one thing I would not do again is spray WD40 on the brake rotors! As I understand it WD40 has some lubricating properties and the last place you want to apply lubricants is to your brake rotors. If rotors "flash rust", as they will under damp conditions, the rust will wear off after a few brake applications.
The noise you are experiencing could be a brake pad hanging up due to lack of lubricant on the caliper where the pads move or a worn wheel bearing. The pulsating you described could be a combination of a worn wheel bearing and a warped brake rotor. The wheel needs to be removed and an inpection performed. If you do not feel comfortable doing this take it to a compentent technican to get an opinion.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Hans, a grinding noise from the rear, particularly on turning, on 4WD Elements is usually an indication that the rear diff. dual-pump fluid needs changing (use only the Honda fluid). As the fluid ages it begins to break down and not do it's job, hence the noise. Something to check, along with the brakes.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fact that the start of the noise coincides with leaving the E outside for a week and getting all the brakes rusted up, and that the noise sounds like brake pads grinding and it's only on one wheel and only when turning in one direction and only at certain speeds, still tells you it's the rear diff?

Wouldn't the rear diff cause noise when turning in both direction?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
The fact that the start of the noise coincides with leaving the E outside for a week and getting all the brakes rusted up, and that the noise sounds like brake pads grinding and it's only on one wheel and only when turning in one direction and only at certain speeds, still tells you it's the rear diff?

Wouldn't the rear diff cause noise when turning in both direction?
In most cases, but an easy and inexpensive "process of elimination", and like RamblerDan says - if it hasn't been done, it's overdue anyway.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You need to grease the brake caliper pins and the edges of the brake pads where they rest on the calipers (takes about an hour). I have to do this annually on my '08 to stop the grinding noise. If that doesn't fix it, change the diff fluid. If you've never changed the diff fluid, change it even if greasing the brake parts fixes it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aight thanks guys.. I'll have to grease down the pads..

The diff fluids were changed between 50K and 60K.. my car now is just shy of 90K

Ramblerdan: is there a diagram showing the dust shield component?

·
Registered
872 Posts
try pulling the park(E brake) to see what happens.could be some rust in the drum.that isant wiped away when you apply the brakes(disc). or sounds like wheel bearing possiably going.try shaking the wheel hard does it move or clunk, there should be no play if there is you need a bearing, cracked seal/old seal+cold&rain+ice could of got into the bearing ,they die easly with a little watter.good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts