Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined the site and have found it to be very informative.I thought I was the only one with the grinding noise problem but apparently I am not.I purchased a certified 03 element with 49K and have been experiencing a grinding noise on left hand turns.It sounds like it is coming from the front end.I have taken it to the dealer quite a number of times,were they were unsuccessful in fixing it.So I am here to see if anyone has any suggestions.The grinding noise is very audible only when making accelerated left hand turns,if i make a slow left hand turn the noise is not present.The dealer has replaced the rear differential fluid 3 times,front sway bar bushings,exhaust heat shields,front brake pads along with rotors,water pump including belts and a right wheel bearing along with hub.I like the element, it is a great car, but that noise is driving me nuts.Any feedback will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact problem with my '04! A sort of scraping sound when making accelerated left hand turns. I just bought it and am having the dealer look at it next week. I'll let you know if they find anything, though it sounds like you've done quite a bit of searching yourself. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
174 Posts
With 49k what are the tires like? thats caused mystery noises for me in the past, treads separating inside. Otherwise:

I would be more inclined to look at the rear on a hard left turn, but it could also be cv axles, front diff, U joints(drive shaft)or rear brakes, stablizer bushings in the rear( mine are bad and I get a clunking), or the stabilizer links. Since you have done a lot of the rest I agree with ramblerdan you are tossing parts at it.

You are putting excess psi on the rh side that would be first place to start. But also reliving psi on th left side may cause something to grind such as a loose wheel bearing, or tires, but less likely. Could also be a PS pump or rack under stress which is hard to duplicate while standing still on a rack.

chris

·
Registered
72 Posts
I feel your pain ! I've been dealing with the same thing for a month or more :mad:

I've replaced thus far:
Rear diff has been attended to
wheel bearing
dealer thought cat converter , had it replaced
pull axle out , still made the sound
dealer thought trans, had trans rebuild by a shop I trust , Guess what still does it!!
Keep us posted on what you find out. I'll do the same seems to be a growing problem.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,930 Posts
I'd look for bad bearings in the rear differential.

·
Registered
839 Posts
uther did not mention this but I just read it in a similar post, Genxdad says there is a problem with the engine mounts and left hand turns, you may want to check into this also.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56424&page=2

Chris
LOL I was just gonna say check the clearance between the right engine mount and its adjacent side engine bracket :lol:.

I just looked at mine now and it looks basically identical to the CRV mounts I've had to adjust at work. It's not making noise but I'm going to take it off and check at lunch on Monday and lube it up just to be safe. I'll try to snap pics of it if I can so you guys can get an idea what I'm referring to.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys,like i described before i just gave up on the dealer because they just kept throwing parts,which in a way i don't mind,but it's still time that i am wasting taking it to them.As far as the pics I would appreciate them, so I can see what you are talking about.I did take a look at both front cv joints they seem to look fine overall,a buddy of mine told me to look at the left wheel bearing,which i probably will do.As far as servicing the front differential fluid,is it the same as servicing the rear differential or is it done simply by replacing the transmission fluid? Once again thanks for the help.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys,like i described before i just gave up on the dealer because they just kept throwing parts,which in a way i don't mind,but it's still time that i am wasting taking it to them.As far as the pics I would appreciate them, so I can see what you are talking about.I did take a look at both front cv joints they seem to look fine overall,a buddy of mine told me to look at the left wheel bearing,which i probably will do.As far as servicing the front differential fluid,is it the same as servicing the rear differential or is it done simply by replacing the transmission fluid? Once again thanks for the help.
The front transfer assembly is lubricated by the fluid in the transmission so if you are keeping up on your scheduled transmission fluid changes then it should be okay.

I'm still a newly licensed tech and I only have four years experience, but most of the items they replaced save for the wheelbearing and rotor seem a bit odd to me to try and correct a grinding noise during acceleration left hand turns. I mean, a water pump and serpentine belt? :confused:.

Wheelbearings I've replaced have normally made noise when driving straight between city and highway speeds (if they are really bad, they will be very noisy at or below city speeds) and the customer complaint was as such. I've found that for most wheel bearings that are on their way out, the sweet spot for really audible bearing growl is around 80-90km/hr. As for turning, All things being equal the bad wheel bearing will growl louder when you turn in the direction opposite the side it is on; if the left one is bad, it will growl louder when you turn right since the weight of the car is shifting to the left on a right turn and thus loading up the bearing. But the turning diagnosis for bearings is not a hard and fast rule and doesn't always work.

Brake rotors or drums will make noise when they have rust buildup that contacts the rotor shield or backing plates and is normally noticed during turns when the hub flexes slightly from the load placed on it during turns. Normally you just need to use a hammer and chisel up in between the shield and rotor to push the metal back a bit, otherwise removing the caliper and cleaning off the buildup with a die grinder. Rear drums are usually replaced or can be chiseled or bead blasted clean if replacement is not an option.

CV joints normally make a knocking or clicking noise if they are bad during turns which changes with vehicle speed (the faster you go, the faster the clicking noise will be).

I know in this trade it is the nature of the beast sometimes that techs need to systematically replace parts to try and repair a problem if the root cause is not commonly known (hopefully they are ethical and start with the cheapest item on the list and work their way up). It's good that you understand this because many people don't and act as if we have magic wands that we can wave over the car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh trust me I understand, I am kind of in the same type of field, except mine has wings. But like you say, when they tell me a water pump is what is causing noise on turns I just go Hmmmmm :confused: . I will try to look at the motor mounts to see if can see anything wrong as someone described earlier.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey guys,
I sent my E out today to have the mounts gone over . I'll keep you posted , let you know what they find.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Found problem!!!!

Hey Folks, so after lots of parts and time.

Turns out to be a broken bolt!

Pass. side motor mount. The bolt on top, not the threaded one . Only thing we figured is when the dealer replaced a pully and belt the tech , torqued the bolt down then tightened the others, instead of going from one to the other , and equally distributing the weight/ stress.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Checked my bolt today,wasn't that lucky the bolt was fine.Whats weird with my problem,is that it does not occur all the time.Again most noticeable on accelerated left turns,thinking maybe left wheel bearing?Also going to flush out tranny fluid over weekend, see if that helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well seems like the problem is fixed!!!Right Hand motor mount needed to be adjusted properly.After doing so car has been running noise free for about a week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Grinding/Vibrating noise front end

I am getting a noise described above, but mine occurs mostly when I'm turning into a parking spot, and occurs on both right and left turns. Might that adjustment apply to both sides?

·
Registered
662 Posts
I am getting a noise described above, but mine occurs mostly when I'm turning into a parking spot, and occurs on both right and left turns. Might that adjustment apply to both sides?
I'll be the first to ask you, have you changed your rear differential fluid lately? ;-)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also, make sure it's not the lower ball joints. I had mine pop out and everytime I made a left turn, it'll be like a tearing noise (just had it replaced), but the noise went away with time. Glad my mechanic caught it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts