Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '07 SC manual trans. is making a grinding noise when I apply the brakes. It seems to be coming from the passenger side, front or read I can't tell. It only happens during the first through the third stop, after that there is no noise, that I can tell. It has rained quite a bit in the last three days, don't know if that is what is causing it or not.

The first time I heard it was when I was backing up out of my parking space @ work. I backed up about 40-50 ft. and when I applied the brakes it started grinding. I went forward, applied the brakes and grinding again, stopped at the stop sign, grinding again... At the 4th stop, nothing.:? It continued being quiet until Saturday.

I get 3 grinding noises when I stop then all is quiet. Went to the store and did sharp turns in the parking lot and all was quiet. Backed up, stopped sharply and nothing. I always use my parking brake when it is parked if that help at all. Just giving you guys as much info as I can. I have not driven it at all today but thinking of having my mechanic look at it on Monday.

I stuck my hand inside to feel the rotors and they are smooth. No warning or maintenance lights what-so-ever. Did a search and didn't find anything quite like this but my search skills kinda suck. :oops:

What are your thoughts, opinions or ideas?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Its probably coming from the rear and when it is very moist the surface or the rotor gets a little rusty and will make a grinding noise until it cleans off the surface. It happened on mine also until I changed the rotors to a different style.

·
Registered
816 Posts
sounds like normal surface rust,,very common with the e,,if it rains or damp and you dont drive your car for a day,,a light layer of rust builds up on the rotor,,if it goes away after a few stops ,,chances are surface rust,,what i do is i ride the brake for 1 block and its gone,,

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks guys. Ill put a note in my book and when new rotors are due, I'll ask around to see which ones are best. ;-)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts