Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are two separate but possibly related issues.

2011 EX 4WD Auto 77K

Issue 1
3 months

Under normal acceleration, before shifting into what I believe to be third gear, the car will make two brief (half second), successive grinding sounds. It does not do this consistently and I cannot figure out what the correlation between instances where it does or does not occur (engine hot or cold, ambient temperature, A/C on or off, turning). One thing I have noticed is that it seems to stay consistent per trip, meaning either the grind happens repeatedly during the trip or not at all. It does seem to occur more often than not.

The noise does not appear to be directly related to the RPMs. The duration of the noise and skip do not change under various levels of acceleration. It seems to be coming from behind the subwoofer, and if I had to guess it sounds closer to the passenger side. It is audible both inside and outside the car.

Under what I would consider to be excessively brisk acceleration (for testing purposes only), the grinding noise does not seem to occur.

My guess is that it may be clutch related.

Issue 2
6 months

I have seen this issue posted elsewhere on this forum without a reliable fix, but I also have the semi-infamous 45 MPH vibration. For those not familiar, the car will occasionally vibrate when the speed is held at roughly 45 MPH at low RPM. It seems to happen when the car is above 45 and then decelerated to that speed and held there.

I've had the trans fluid replaced (not flushed) by a dealer twice (55K, 75K). The recent change made the vibration issue occur less frequently but has not eliminated it altogether. It has had no effect on the grinding noise

The VTEC sensor also went bad, causing the car to jerk violently, but this after the problem had already started. The sensor was replaced under warranty and did not have any effect on the issue.

I have also had all my oil changes done and have replaced the diff fluid myself following the recommended service intervals using Honda Dual Pump II fluid.

I brought the car to one dealership and two stealerships. Two of them told me they would attempt to drive the car and if it does not replicate the issues they will charge me a $75 diagnostic fee. The dealership that replaced my trans fluid agreed to look at it without charging the fee but could not reliably replicate the issue (of course). I understand that no matter how descriptive I am, nobody is going to start searching in an engine or transmission for ghost sounds.

I have a 7 year 120K mile HondaCare warranty with two years and 43K remaining. I would rather the problem be fixed now while it is a minor annoyance than later when it may very well be catastrophic drive train failure.

Thank you for your input and I will following up as best I can.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,601 Posts
Sure seems like a transmission problem to me.

Instead of asking us here.. we are just interweb idiots, get on the phone to corporate Honda and complain. It's still under warranty with low miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honda Corporate tends to be just as useless as the dealerships in my experience. I also ran into the clinching brake caliper issue that some folks have dealt with. It took me two years and two sets of replacement rotors before Honda corporate would admit there was an issue.

I've noticed that as soon as I say that I have HondaCare it seems that the dealerships are less interested in helping me. I wonder if Honda is difficult with their payouts for warranty work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RamblerDan:

Thank you for the suggestion! I've tried recording the sound, but as I'm sure you know, the cabin in the E is less than tranquil (although this improved after I replaced the garbage OEM tires) and it comes out sounding like road noise. I'm going to try and find a large, empty, smooth parking lot this weekend to see if I can get a clear recording of it.

I've tried getting the vibration on video as well but juggling a phone and trying to record the gauge cluster while maintaining a steady RPM on a public road at 45 mph has proven less than safe.

It shouldn't be this difficult to get a car fixed. As much as I love the utility of my E, I don't think I'll be purchasing another Honda in the future. My dad has been really pleased with his Tacoma, maybe it's time for a truck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts