Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while now I have had a grinding sound coming from my rear wheel area when slowly turning in and out of my driveway and parking spaces. In my jeep it only used to happen when you were in 2 wheel drive ,and it was caused by the wheels powertrain all wanting to move at their own rate or differential (at least that is what they told me in Jeep 101). So in my honda I get that sound all the time. My 2003 Element has all wheel drive, so I figure a similar thing is happening, I noticed the post a few days ago about changing the differential fluid, is this what prompted this service? Has anyone had a similar problem?

PS thanks in advanced, I love the forum, been a member for a year and appriciate everyones great contibutions.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
If your 2003 hasn't ever had its rear diff fluid changed, it's well past time. Change the Dual Pump II fluid and report back. Don't forget to get new crush washers.

See Differential Fluid Change Info, stickeyed in the Maintenance and Service section and listed on the FAQ/How-To page.

And please fill in your profile.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think I found the solution while searching but help still appriciated

Thanks for the help, I searched the database better and found the information myself too after more time, I will get those crush washers and stuff and try it out this afternoon or weekend.

I really apprcieate the help

·
Registered
68 Posts
I get a grinding noise from my rear end when it is time to grease the brake caliper pins. I don't have to be turning to get it though. If you get it only when turning, it is probably the diff.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Having the same issue. Going to stop by my local Honda dealer for the rear diff fluid and give it a swap. Sounds like it will be the fix from a couple diff threads.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It's an unnerving sound when the differential fluid needs to be changed, but it is simple to do. The annoying thing is you need 1 quart + a little more so get two bottles. The first time I changed it I rigged up a long hose to a funnel hanging from the gas cap cover, it worked but was unruly. The next time I got a little pump that screws on to the fluid bottle and it works great! Takes about a hundred pumps though.

Attachments

·
Registered
663 Posts
I think Plews sells the exact same pump. Yeah, takes a LOT of pumps! I have to switch hands several times... (get your mind outta the gutter! :) )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts