Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey my 03 4wd element has a griding noise upon acceleration, such as a small hill or if u put some gas into your acceleration:D. Does anybody have any idea what it could be? once again a griding noise when accelerating, than if your flooring it up something, it will knock once or twice while still in 1st gear. also 1 more, my car when ideling at a stopline, while its still in drive, it will shakes pretty violently, and the tailpipe will do the same. but it be at the same stop light another time and not be shaking. any ideas?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I think it's fine...dunno. I feel that our engine is loud and ticky and on incline accel in the low rpm, the tick enchances and speeds up(grinding noise?).
the tail pipe shakes a lot normally.
the car vibrates at different rates is normal.

Maybe provide some reference. ie. shake violently like a messager on my back or as if some grab a hold of me and shook the life out me. grinding like a rotary saw on metal.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so the shaking is, well its not viberating its shaking, as in it shakes you and you passenger. things will rattle on the tray at points. and the grinding, o boy i would describe it as well, a grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr kinda noise ya know? ha no but on a real not, a low rpm gear grinding, but my problem with that is if it were gears grinding, it would happen all the time, and it would be constant, not go away, also it wouldn't accelerate normally! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
sounds like your engine is running rough. how's the idle?

my guess is, it's stable but the whole car shakes at a constant rate.

as for the grinding, it might be pinging. it would sound dat dat dat, but more constant, like dddddaaaaattttt or graaaaaaatttttt and would happen only on accel and more easily on hills.

the easiest fix is obvious go see a mech, but you can dump 91 octane in there after a near empty tank and after 50miles the grinding should go away, then you know the problem.

your timing might be off and your knock sensor is not working. although we have auto timing and the knock sensor shouldn't need to work at your driving rate.

i don't that help at all, but it's after midnight and i'm going to sleep.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey my 03 4wd element has a griding noise upon acceleration, such as a small hill or if u put some gas into your acceleration:D. Does anybody have any idea what it could be? once again a griding noise when accelerating, than if your flooring it up something, it will knock once or twice while still in 1st gear. also 1 more, my car when ideling at a stopline, while its still in drive, it will shakes pretty violently, and the tailpipe will do the same. but it be at the same stop light another time and not be shaking. any ideas?
How many miles on the car?

You may have several issues: You need to deal with them one at a time.
If you are at 75k miles or more and haven't changed the plugs, you should do that now. On some E's, the plugs last over 100k miles... others are reporting that changing the plugs earlier smoothed out rough running engines.

Also, how are other maintenance issues such as air filter, rear differential fluid, etc.

While you are doing that, look for hose (particularly vacuum lines) that might be off. Is the Check Engine light on?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sounds like an issue with the ivtec. I have read several posts about the psi sensor going out and causing similar problems. Next guess is a dead cylinder, or a timing chain problem maybe a cause of grinding, at any rate its time to see the local mechanic.

chris

·
Registered
178 Posts
If the vtec solenoid was gone it would cause an immediate "bucking" upon engaging not to mention throwing a code. For shaking at idle you should check your motor mounts to ensure no cracking or severe vibration is visible to the naked eye. Spark plugs......sure they can cause a rough idle but you probably have already swapped them correct? The grinding sound is what would concern me the most.....

If you have a blackberry or more advance cell phone can you record an audio snippet and allow us to hear it?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My car has 76000 miles. o and rymo i feel like i pasted you, well you pasted me first on 880 last night.:D Yes, so it does happen easier on hills, and only at the beginning of acceleration. for example, Last night, when my lights were on just driving around the city, it shakes. today in the morning. it didnt with no lights on. I will definitly try to get it into a mech soon. O and the spark plugs? replaced at 70000. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
sorry,wasn't me. no 880 all day. but was on 280,101,380 multiple times. to me it just sounds like your timing is way off = lost of power, loud noise and rough engine.

we could meet up and shoot the wind:)

·
Registered
178 Posts
If the timing was off on these cars it would have had to of jumped a tooth and with a steel timing chain this is pretty much impossible. If it was to jump a tooth your tensioner would be bad and you would have such deflection that it would cause greater noise as the rpms were raised. If you think it's your tranny I would drain the fluid and feel for grit.

One question though......can you tell if the sounds changes with AC engaged vs AC off?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the acceleration noise never seemed to change with the AC however I never really looked into that. but it does idle/Shake alot harder when it is on. go figure right? but this grinding has puzzled me for awhile, and the shaking is just annoying. when its not shaking, the engine seems to knock around as you will. Yeh I'd definitly be down to kick it.:D

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
we could kick at emeryville ikea. cheap hot dogs and big garage.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Same noise

My Element has always made the same sound - only on inclines or when it shifts down, I figured that if a breaks I will know what the noise was but it is still runing fine.. The noise made me nervous also -

1 - 13 of 13 Posts