Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've searched through the forums here and read the most common cause for the growling/groaning noise being the rear differential fluid having broken down.

In the case of my E, there's one problem with that. The E makes the groaning noise when I start it and it just sits, but the noise is way more pronounced when turning the steering wheel left or right. It also seems to be a lot worse when the weather is cold. When it warms up, the groaning/growling noise gets quieter.

I've checked the power steering fluid and that's at a good level. I called the dealer service center and the guy I talked to said it wouldn't be the rear differential fluid if the growling noise happens when the E is just sitting motionless.

Any thoughts/ideas on this? If not I guess I'll have to take it in and see what's going on with it.

·
Retired.
12,182 Posts
Hey all, I've searched through the forums here and read the most common cause for the growling/groaning noise being the rear differential fluid having broken down.

In the case of my E, there's one problem with that. The E makes the groaning noise when I start it and it just sits, but the noise is way more pronounced when turning the steering wheel left or right. It also seems to be a lot worse when the weather is cold. When it warms up, the groaning/growling noise gets quieter.

I've checked the power steering fluid and that's at a good level. I called the dealer service center and the guy I talked to said it wouldn't be the rear differential fluid if the growling noise happens when the E is just sitting motionless.

Any thoughts/ideas on this? If not I guess I'll have to take it in and see what's going on with it.

THe main reason it can't be your rear diff fluid is that according to your profile you have a front wheel drive E.....No rear diff.

The symptoms you describe sounds to me like your p/s pump has morning sickness.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I don't know a lot about cars and am just starting to learn. You're right about the rear-differential, I should have realized that there wouldn't be one with a forward wheel drive-only vehicle.

Is a power steering pump something best left to a mechanic to replace on an E?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Someone may have 'topped off' your fluid with the non Honda fluid and things like that are bad and expensive...

·
Retired.
12,182 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I don't know a lot about cars and am just starting to learn. You're right about the rear-differential, I should have realized that there wouldn't be one with a forward wheel drive-only vehicle.

Is a power steering pump something best left to a mechanic to replace on an E?

You may want to. The serpentine belt can be a real pain in the nards if you don't have the proper tools to remove it. After the belt is removed the pump should not be too bad. But if you are not im posession of a service manual i would let the pros do it.

I usually applaud the DIY spirit but there are times when its best to just take it to the shop.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, all. I did add some power steering fluid to the container a little while back when it seemed to get low. The front of the bottle said "For Honda and Acura vehicles". That was a little while back, and the noise hasn't gotten noticeably worse until just a month ago.

I think I'll just take it in and get the verdict on what's wrong. I'l let you know once I find out. Thanks again for the replies. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I vote that it is something with the serpentine belt or pulley. I am saying this only from experience. pure curiousity, let us know what they say :)

·
Registered
599 Posts
You could start with a relatively inexpensive power steering fluid flush and fill, at a dealer of course so you're sure to get the right fluids. If they want to charge more than about $50-60 try to talk them down, anything more isn't reasonable considering the materials and labor required.

If that doesn't clear things up then a new pump may be in order.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The groaning noise is definitely the rear differential fluid breaking down. My 2006 has only 13000 miles on it. The dealer/service replaced it with the new (and improved) rear diff fluid and the groaning went away immediately. An easy fix. The technician said it will break down with age, especially if the AWD does not kick in very often. Sounds like your dealer is in denial.

·
Registered
247 Posts
look at his profile StevieB ,RubberChicken has a front wheel drive, no rear diff.
I vote for the Power Steering pump or something like that..

·
Retired.
12,182 Posts
The groaning noise is definitely the rear differential fluid breaking down. Sounds like your dealer is in denial.

Did you happen to read post number two by chance.

The OP has a front wheel drive Element.

I don't mean to be rude but we have already established what the problem can't be.

Your profile also says 2WD. Either your profile is wrong or your dealer replaced someting that doesn't exist???

·
Registered
4 Posts
noise

Take a long screw driver and place it near the tensioner pulley, ps pump, ac pulley. U have to put your ear on the handle when listening tho. which one is the loudest?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts