Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Honda Element LX AWD with rear sunroof:

I've had this problem ever since I purchased this otherwise stellar vehicle. Any source plugged into the 3.5mm aux jack and the 12v charger will display static, interference, and pronounced alternator whine.

This is not the same issue as the reduced fidelity in the headphone jack vs the docking port, this is (in my estimation) almost certainly a ground loop fault. I have tried a variety of 3.5mm audio cables and chargers, and other mp3 devices to no avail.

Fast forward to today - I take my new HTC inspire 4g out to the Element, plug in the charger and audio, bring up the music player - and I get no interference but I do get phantom screen presses on the capacitive touch screen in rapid succession that fast forward, rewind, skip, launch voice dialing, launch face book and other unwanted things. Sound quality seemed excellent though.

Do any of you have any insight in dealing with this. I found this on Amazon

Any insight would be deeply appreciated. I am no longer using my phone to play music in the car until I get this resolved as the Inspire is not something I want to put in harms way.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
I have this noise problem with a after market Aiwa headunit. My solution - don't use the charger while playing music.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
It's simple enough to test for a potential ground loop.

Attach a digital VOM to the sleeve contact and a 12 ft 10ga jumper cable connected to the battery's negative post. If the connection reads more than 0.1 ohm, you have a bad aux ground connection.

Phantom touch screen presses can be, and are most likely are, the result of low humidity/high static electricity charges that are experienced when air is heated, and which are higher in vehicles than in a home having central heating having humidity control. You can reduce this somewhat using a static discharge (grounded) mat in the tray where you place your HTC, and a static discharge strap on the vehicle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts