Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 EX AWD approx. 160K- I've had it for several years and its my second E after the first '03 was taken out by a driver who neglected to read road signs.

I have a growl that seems to come from the lower passenger side but its hard to tell.
Only happens when moving- I can never get it to happen when stationary or by rubber using a rubber mallet on anything underside.
Often happens when coasting but its not limited to such, can also be triggered or amplified by going over a bump
Happens when hot or cold - after a long drive or 2 mins after pulling out of the garage
Moving into neutral does not stop or affect it
Happens when in or out of gear - does not seem to be speed related as It can 'flare up' into a growl after slowing down at a intersection or after turning into a road.

At first I thought it was being caused by plastic panels and trim vibrating in the wind, but I've secured everything - put it happened without a lot of speed or wind.
Has been occurring on and off for about 9 months now.
I recently had new rear brakes, rotors, lower control arms, ball joints, sway bar and tires but this did not change or fix the issue.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2007 Element EX AWD AT (two!)
302 Posts
Get it up on jack stands, start it, put it in gear, then be very careful around the moving tires/wheels and listen for the sound. Probably a good idea to have a helper inside the car to stomp on the brake or shut it down in a hurry if necessary. Use a paper towel tube as a stethoscope to help isolate the source of a noise. With the engine idling, you should be able to use a piece of wood or something against each tire to slow it down/stop it one at a time to see if the noise stops when the wheel stops; the other wheels should continue to spin.

PS: When did Texas join Canada? Under your username, it displays the Canadian flag.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts