Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted here awhile back about how I ran into my house with me E and did some damage to the front of the E. The A/C condenser was somewhat mangled and spewing and the front bumper and upper grill had to be replaced. I turned it into my insurance and had an adjuster come out and do an estimate- I thought to myself, man I can do this myself and use the money saved for other mods I wanted to do. Well, working two jobs at the time didn't allow me the time to delve into it, so after about 7 months I finally decided to take it to the body shop. Got it back and all looks good- they even replaced my lower grill gaurd! So, here is the problem, I am noticing a growling sound coming from the compressor when in use. Before the accident it didn't make this sound and I never used the A/C or defroster while I drove the E around before it was repaired. So, does anyone have any Ideas as to what the problem may be?
Thanks for all the help and inspiration from this crazy a$$ place called the EOC. ......gotta luv it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well best guess is that its a compressor/clutch/pulley problem, you are going to need to take it to a A/C certified mechanic and have them check it out.

Chris

·
Registered
839 Posts
Does the growling go away completely when you turn the A/C off? Or does it just quiet down a bit?

My drive belt auto-tensioner is going on my Element and when I have it in drive with the brakes applied at a stop or when I turn my A/C on it makes noise. When the A/C is off or the engine is idling in neutral the sound is much quieter.

Chances are it's your A/C compressor but if you replace the compressor and you still have a noise, look to your drive belt auto-tensioner next.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts