Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I honestly cant believe the placement of the oil filter on this thing..lol..I have never seen anything like it.

I cant even get my hand in there much less a filter wrench. Guess I should have just payed 30+$ to have it changed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wimp.

:rolleyes:

Many of the people on this forum change their own oil. Have you read this thread?
YEP..I read it already. Doesnt help me get under my vehicle though. I just cant believe where honda put the filter..really. Im not taking a tire off to change my oil either. Anyone wanna buy this thing from me..10k will get it.50kmiles on it.

·
Registered
751 Posts
YEP..I read it already. Doesnt help me get under my vehicle though. I just cant believe where honda put the filter..really. Im not taking a tire off to change my oil either. Anyone wanna buy this thing from me..10k will get it.50kmiles on it.
No need to go under although, I think that's the easy way.

You could turn your wheel complately to the left and try reaching in that way. You'll need some long arms though.

Although, if your last remarks are serious, I think you have more gripes than where the oil filter lives.

·
Registered
136 Posts
50kmiles on it.
Who changed it last time, and why is it on so tight?

I used to lift my E and crawl under, but now I just reach over the top with my latex glove covered hand and remove it without tools. I'm a towering 5' 10". The oil deflector thing is worth it's weight in gold IMO, but since you'll be selling due to the location of the oil filter it's not prudent to acquire one now.

I really don't know what the big deal is. It's better than the Accord I used to own and I never heard anyone complain about that.

Avoid CarMax. They'll probably offer you like $6K.

·
Registered
68 Posts
How tall are you? I ask because I remove the oil filter from above. I reach over the engine, unscrew the filter and remove. Not an issue at all.

To drain the oil I use a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve (which can be purchased here.) :D
Removing the oil filter from above is the only way to go. You can't see the filter from above, but you can feel it when you reach down. I can get both hands on it by reaching around the back with my right, and slipping my left arm down the side. I've got skinny arms, though, and it is a tight fit for my left arm.

You want to do it with a cool engine, so I drain the oil pan at night with a hot engine, then change the filter the next morning.

The deflector Handa sells is worth the $21 - it keeps oil from spilling on the frame when you remove the filter.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I just cant believe where honda put the filter..really.
Hondas, and most front wheel drive vehicles, have the filter located between the engine and the firewall. I happen to own two of the exceptions to that: a Mazda 6s (V6) and a Ford Focus both of which have the filters in front of the engine with the open end of the filter pointing up so that very little oil is spilled during removal.

I guess if removing the filter on the Element is too much effort for you then by all means support your local Jiffy Lube.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Another trick is to jack up the pass side slightly which will cause the tire to drop down, and that will allow easier access above the tire. Thanks Ryan (Ryland) for the tip!

CoolE'sRule!

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
I've changed the filter from below without ramps in my driveway, with and without ramps, but ramps make it a lot easier.

If you don't have access to a set of ramps, drive the right front wheel up onto a curb. Look for the bright blue (or yuck orange) can sticking out the back side of the engine directly above the drip guides on the lower suspension arm. Use a cup filter.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
You can't change an oil filter; once and oil filter, always an oil filter, but remember that

"Oily to bed and oily to rise, and your wife will give you a pair of black eyes", or is it

"The oily bard gets to squirm"?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Step off the ledge. I haven't had any trouble reaching the filter with a wrench or my hand from top or bottom. I think there is a lot of room under there to be able to loosen it up.

Get mad at that filter, grab a beer and don't leave the car alone until you win. And make sure to hand tighten and oil the rubber seal or else you will be locked in an eternal battle with that thing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Step off the ledge. I haven't had any trouble reaching the filter with a wrench or my hand from top or bottom. I think there is a lot of room under there to be able to loosen it up.

Get mad at that filter, grab a beer and don't leave the car alone until you win. And make sure to hand tighten and oil the rubber seal or else you will be locked in an eternal battle with that thing.
There is NO way I believe anyone has changed the filter from up top. You cant even see it much less change it and put another one on..lol..

Im just a little ticked at how crazy it is..Thats all..My hand from undernieth wont even grab it. I can just barely touch it.

Dont know what im gonna do? I know a guy that has his own shop where he works on vehicles. Guess I can see what he will charge to use my oil and filter and he change it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I honestly cant believe the placement of the oil filter on this thing..lol..I have never seen anything like it.

I cant even get my hand in there much less a filter wrench. Guess I should have just payed 30+$ to have it changed.
I recall one day, late evening, I asked a neighbor who had more than 7 beers in him to help me remove my oil filter.
I have a lowered Element, and you know what?
It worked, it was removed with no tools or a Floor Jack.
I just placed the light on the oil filter and continued to yell and tell at him (you moderfidsmoderfikmordiffdkd and stuff your almost their) your close to it. I was so happy - plus, he felt good knowing he helped me.
I just didn't want to get dirty, that one time.
Any other time is easy......

I'd find a drunk in your neighborhood and ask them to help you.
They know how to do everything.

·
Registered
362 Posts
yeah, i would give up and invest in ramps. $35 now, you've paid for it with 2 DIY oil changes vs. the dealer.

·
Registered
15 Posts

I don't know if this will help but I have had my Element since November and I had the same trouble on my first oil change. I'm 6'4 and not really a small guy. I read the posts about going at it from the top which didn't really work for me.

Pull it up on ramps and I think the best way is to get a 3/4 ratchet and get a oil filter socket , I got mine at Wal-Mart for like $5. I does not exactly fit but it does the job. If you lay down at an angle and reach over the right drive axle you can get to it. I found it to be the best way for me. I have very long arms and the top way just was not working for me.

Oh and I also have a 1999 Prelude and they put the filter in almost the exact same spot. I was hoping when I changed the oil the first time it would be easy but I was very disappointed.

Don't give up changing it. It's tricky but once you see how to get the wrench in there its not so bad. And I feel more a connection with changing my own oil.

Oh yeah, H and A sells the socket wrench. It's expensive but I can NOT get and power on the filter any other way.
Hope this helps you some.

Michael.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
There is NO way I believe anyone has changed the filter from up top. You cant even see it much less change it and put another one on...
You don't know what I have seen; you won't acknowledge what I have learned. - Galileo Galilei

(Lack of knowledge :confused:) + (lack of imagination ) EQ stubborn belief :cool: NE reality :cry:.

Refusing to accept the possibility that something could be possible will certainly make it very difficult for you to achieve it, because you won't attempt it whole-heartedly, and if you did achieve it, you wouldn't believe that you had, so you must have failed. :lol: ( Don't try to change my mind with facts, I know what I believe - George W Bush)

The first time I had to change the filter I tried from the bottom. I couldn't get enough torque to break the seal from the bottom; the cup wrench I had wouldn't seat and kept slipping off. I'd changed other filters from the top, so I decided to try. I couldn't reach the filter from the side of the car while standing on the ground, the Element is too tall, so I looked for ways to raise myself up.

I found that by laying on top of the engine on my right side, I could reach down and easily grab the filter with my hand. (I have a 34" sleeve length). It's a clear straight shot down with nothing in the way. From the top I was able to position the cup wrench, get it seated firmly by tapping on it with a hammer, and remove the filter. I can see part of the back end of the filter by leaning over the right fender, raising myself on my toes and looking down. It helps to know what you are looking for and where to look, and good lighting and a step stool would make it easier.

Once the filter has been properly lubricated and replaced - tightening it hand tight - it can be removed from top or bottom, but my experience is that it is less messy to remove the old filter from the top than to try to maneuver it down around the suspension members. Because I have to get under the car anyway to drain the oil, I do this now using a stick across the top of the engine and a 36" -14 ga solid electrical wire.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts