Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an FYI for you other dealer reps... I'll be sure to drive far away from here any time I need help with something for my Element. No respect... I put in calls to [two dealerships] to get pricing and availability on the Element. - We talked over the course of one week, I left and bought my Element at a dealership in Beaumont @ mikesmith autoplaza... they we're cool. Those other two dealerships haven't even called me back. What a great philosophy in business!
:shock:
-your mom

·
EOC Founder, Admin
2,897 Posts
pdub-

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I guess the only thing I would point out is that *usually* it's not the dealership that's bad, but the salesperson you're working with. Most really know their stuff, but I know many other times I have walked into a dealership and talked to someone who poorly represented the dealership and I took my business elsewhere like you did.

So, be cautious about bashing two entire dealerships online. A different day, a different rep... who knows.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Very true, that it is often just the one salesperson... but that is all that it takes... and perhaps a dealership needs to look at the people that represent them too.

That is how we all pretty much work, first impression... and when it is more than just the first impression but the lack of follow-up that makes it worse...

I originally was considering the CRV, so I had been on my vehicle hunt steadily for over a year... and I cased half dozen dealers... and I also rely on the one person... (More on that in a moment)... that one person is often a good representation of the dealership as a whole. The most expensive dealer locally was rude at first, and argued pricing with me... now since I was not in a hurry I kinda played cat & mouse (I messed with him for a lengthy stretch of time.. but this is kinda my version of payback).. I let him contact me and play the price game... and through the contact he lightened up allot, I still was not going to deal with him because of his attitude. Another dealer who was even more expensive then the previous dealer, offered for me to get the vehicle from them then I could get accessories elsewhere, I said that would be fine if your vehicle pricing was not higher than everyone else’s... I never heard from him again... another further away dealer simply called (after he never responded to me for a couple months from my initial contact with them) and barked at me "are you going to buy a car or not" humm let me think NO! There were others that were not even significant enough to discuss... and that left 2... The best price hands down and the other was a nice dealership... the one who won when I got my element... well the best price since they do not let everyone & their mother drive every vehicle when it arrives on the lot.. They would not let me reserve one in advance (with payment) so there was no chance I could get a vehicle that would not be test driven to death! So that was the deciding force. The winner also was very nice, helpful & just overall great!

Why I rely on the one person, because most dealerships are aware of their people who represent them... and from repeat experiences I have discovered that one rude person, well they have another and another. I have been in rude dealerships before, and I would give them another chance... and on a different day, different year and different salesperson I would find the same experience.

Warning to dealers: make sure you know who is representing you, if they are rude, what will happen: more often then not... people will leave! They will go elsewhere. Service does count!

I may have considered the higher price dealer if they were not rude from contact #1, but since they were, they lost that second chance.

I do not believe in dealer bashing... but local word travels... and a good experience will also be known... I drove over an hour to the dealer I chose! I will go back for my next Honda too!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'd like to add to that, Dealers also profile customers. back in '92 my wife and I walked into a Ford dealer looking for a new truck in the middle of a weekday. There was a group of sales people standing around gabbing. I guess because I had long hair and beard at the time no one even approached us. After trying to get thier attention my wife and I left.

I still have my 1992 Chevy 1-ton 4x4 Silverado.

Moral of story, dont' judge a book by it's cover. (cliche')

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
exactly.. this goes for so many sales fields as well.. i went into a shoe store where I was completely snubbed by the staff.. i have a wad of cash and i was looking for good shoes that would not fall apart.. and i was not particular what the price.. but i at time dress very comfortably.. and not up to this (minimum wage) salesperson.. ha well again i go into torture technique.. i had her pull out tons of shoes, which i bought none.. (when i finally got her attention)..

I had worked in sales jobs for sooo many moons, perhaps that is another reason i get very particular how i am treated, i always treated people with respect and i did not judge them in anyway!

OK Story time.. have to share, the coolest customer I ever had.. I was working (as a teen, and mind you this is the 1980's I am referring to)... in a costume jewelry store, a guy comes in, looking for accent items for a "friend" eventually he gave in and share it was for him he competes in drag competitions.. i smiled and said, well i am glad yousaid so, now we can work with this better, and we had a blast! I never had a happier customer & I never had so much fun!

Other story.. in line with cars, a friend who had a (piece of garbage) Dodge Dakota, (which in just 2 years the engine was blown) she received extremely rude response from Dodge in regards to the problem.. and this went round and round, it had been the 3rd engine to blow.. gee think they might realize something.. well she was so angry.. but had to have it replaced, went in picked the most expensive fulled loaded truck had them figure it up, and then said well i would buy it but (and went it what happened).. she went across the street to the Ford dealer, bought there most expensive fully loaded truck, drove on the dodge lot, blew her horn & waved...

Yes, the people I know are not much unlike myself.. and the thing is you don't judge people, and when you work in a customer service job you treat people with courtesy, it is part of the job! Sigh,, unfortunately this is a lost cause for the world.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just to add to the discussion...I am working with Chris at First Texas Honda in Austin and they seem to be really great. Really supportive and proactive. Just my two cents...

DougUp

·
EOC Founder, Admin
2,897 Posts
DougUp-

Thanks for the feedback. That further proves my point - don't label an entire dealership or especially an entire city based on your experience. It's all who you get and when you get em!

Good luck down there. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I, too, am from Austin and had nothing but a bad experience dealing with the dealerships in general. That is, until I found Robert Hart at Classic Honda in Round Rock. He treated me very well. Couldn't be happier, really. But everyone else really, really annoyed me. Do I have stories!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I tore up my check in '97 buying from one dealer because he wanted to call and ask my husband something??!! I told them that my husband was not buying the car, I was and goodbye. Went to another dealer, and that salesman asked if I could come back later as he was on his way to his daughters recital. I bought my car from him, because if a dealership does not appreciate their employees and their families, how are they going to appreciate their customers?

Had some run arounds this time - went with the dealer that was most up front with me. "What part of "I want an orange one" didn't they understand?" And no, my husband didn't come with me to buy this one either!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was very impressed with Frank Ancona Honda in Olathe, KS. They were very helpful in all aspects of my purchase. The GM drives a Burnt Orange E. They bent over backwards for my financing needs. Highly recommend them for any of you that need a good dealership in our neck of the woods.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have had both bad and good experiences with Honda dealers in the Austin area. I got royally screwed back in 1999 when I bought a CRV from a Honda dealer in Roundrock, won't mention any names, but they know who they are! :evil: Vowed to never go back and have told all my friend about the experience.

This time, I used the internet to contact a couple of dealers in the Austin area and Howdy Honda in south Austin promptly responded to my emails and then followed up with a phone call to set up an appointment to test drive one. They wanted to make sure they had one in stock for me to drive before I made the trip down there. :) We live about 20 miles north.

We met our salesman, Mr. Rob Dee, and he quickly turned out to be one of the nicest salesman that I have ever had the pleasure to deal with. :D He even met us after business hours at a local resturant to complete some paper work that his business manager had forgot to have us sign. Rob is a great guy to work with and if you're in Austin area, he's the guy at Howdy Honda to see to get your new Element.

Later!

·
Registered
653 Posts
While I didn't end up buying from this fellow, I can't say enough good stuff about the Internet Sales Manager, Kevin Holt, at Frank Brown Auto & Truck Ranch in Lubbock, Texas. He followed up on every question that I had, returning calls promptly and always being very courteous, up-front and honest.

I was able to get a better deal on a "used" Element locally at Performance Honda of Midland, but the sales staff there pale in comparison. It siis discouraging when you, as the customer, consistently know more about a vehicle's features, manufacture, and actual cost than any of the salespeople at local dealerships.

Rob O.
Life's a beach!
www.2dolphins.com

·
Registered
608 Posts
rodaniel,

You got a "used" Element. Great, I thought with it being so new, that no one was selling a used one yet. Can you tell me about it, did they ask close to list? Did it have any damage? With there being so many people waiting, looking for the E, getting a used one must have been a good buy.

·
Registered
653 Posts
RML,

The local dealer bought the car from an Irving, Tx dealer for a customer down here. Apparently the customer backed out. So, with 812 miles on it, it had to be considered "used." It had been sitting on the lot for 6 weeks - I think the fact that it was being called "used" was scaring off customers. But it is in perfect condition except for needing a good wash, which the dealership gave me a voucher for since their service dept. was closed by the time the sale was finalized.

The trade-in amount and TT&L pretty well cancelled each other out - I paid $20,800 out the door for my Shoreline Mist 4WD EX. And I'm still counting my lucky stars!

Rob O.
Life's a beach!
www.2dolphins.com

·
Registered
608 Posts
rodaniel,

Great. I did not think anyone really had a used one on their lot, but that makes sense. Someone backed out. Drove it a bit, and wanted out. Your gain, their loss

·
Registered
6 Posts
A dealer in Minneapolis had a used Element last Friday(1000 miles). I am friends with one of the salesman. He called me that Friday morning to come check it out but i could not make it until Saturday. It ended up being sold by late Friday. I still ended up buying a new one Saturday :D !

·
Registered
183 Posts
We got ours at Gillman Honda in Rosenberg and they were great! Two of the other dealers in Houston were terrible - really gave us the run around. Even lied to us and tried to sell us what was actually on their lots vs. what we wanted. It was cheaper in Rosenberg too - no city sales tax. There was a SOP automatic on their lot a week ago too!

·
Registered
155 Posts
They were great! Could not have been more helpfull, other dealers were not "into" understanding what I wanted in a vehicle only what they wanted to sell, and some dealers did not seem to understand that I am not a little lady that needs my husbands permission to buy a car!

Since I make it a point to go into a car dealer's looking shabby - my car badly in need of a wash - their reception of me makes a big impact. Do they treat me with respect even if I look like hell?

I have managed to buy a car (new or used) once a year for many years for my rather large family and finding a dealer that listens and works with me is important. Baytown Honda, Russell & Smith, Spring Branch Honda, and Tejas Toyota have all earned my commendations.

·
Registered
121 Posts
[quote:2c1a290c72="nmylmnt"]I was very impressed with Frank Ancona Honda in Olathe, KS. They were very helpful in all aspects of my purchase. The GM drives a Burnt Orange E. They bent over backwards for my financing needs. Highly recommend them for any of you that need a good dealership in our neck of the woods.[/quote:2c1a290c72]

I have an appt. with them this week. I am looking for the black or shoreline EX. Who was your rep? Thanks for the heads-up. I get a good vibe from them...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts