Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently, one of my recent passengers stepped in some gum and promptly smashed it into my rear carpeted floor mat. I'm sure it wasn't intentional, but it still pisses me off. Anyone have any good tricks for removing gum from carpet? Goo-Gone, maybe? Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Peanut butter- just like for hair. Work it into the gum, just as if it were in your hair, gently pulling and breaking it up. The oils in the PB will gradually break up the gum, and prevent it from re-sticking. I'd be loathe to use goo-gone or a petroleum distillate based product- the carpet is made of a petro-chemical and I'd think might dissolve!

It would be easy to wash out the PB once the gum is gone.

Of course, if the mats are old, H and A have them at reasonable prices, and being 'ruined' by gum is a good excuse to replace them... Just imagine the conversation with your significant other: "I swear they're ruined, Honey, and I need new ones. You don't want me to ruin my floors, do you?"

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
You'll never get the peanut butter oil stain out. Rub the gum with ice cubes until it freezes, then scrape it out. May take a couple of "freezes". Wrap one end of the ice cube in a paper towel or your fingers will freeze too. :D

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
I second the "ice" technique, and that the peanut butter will leave an oily stain.

But then what do I know, we bought the E for its lack of any type of carpeting and are thankful to this day for it. :D

·
Registered
225 Posts
I will third the ice cube idea. Used to use this in my detail shop years ago. Worked well.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Threaten to track the gum all over her favorite rug or carpeting, then go get the new floor mats:D
Barring that, use the ice or an inverted Co2 spray (computer duster spray). Costs more than the ice, but is more fun too. Just don't get it on your body, it WILL cause frostbite.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I second the compressed air can inverted. That will get the gum much colder and more brittle than an ice cube.

·
Registered
76 Posts
or if u can put the whole mat in the freezer for a while then chip it off. worked for me

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
or if u can put the whole mat in the freezer for a while then chip it off. worked for me
Ha! You made me laugh! Good idea tho'.

"Hey, dear, no room left in the freezer for that pizza! Guess what's for dinner?"

:D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the tips, guys. I think I'll probably try the upside down compressed air trick sometime soon, as I've got some around here somewhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts