Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is one of those things that has been around for a long time, but I don’t remember any recent threads with detailed photos. I did a search, and found lots of references to the gutter grill, but no “How-To” threads. keywords: HOME DEPOT GRILL GUARD LOWES LEAF GUTTERS SCREEN

Many members recommend installing a grill guard to protect the lower radiator & AC condenser. There is a gaping hole in the lower fascia with plenty of exposed cooler fins behind it.

I did mine back in ’04, and recently noticed it was time for replacement. Mine has stopped 2 birds, an apple, and who knows how many large bugs. I’m certain it has stopped plenty of stones and other dangerous objects from damaging the expensive cooler behind it. Well worth the times and money in my opinion. Total cost of materials is about $10 (with plenty of leftover).Expect to spend 15-20 minutes besides the 30minutes or so removing the bumper cover. If you’re installing fog lights or something, this mod is a nobrainer. The small holes and black zip ties on the black material make for a nice, clean, hidden instalation.

You’ll need about 3’ of a roll of plastic gutter guard, or a chunk of the aluminum stuff. I like the plastic roll stuff because it matches the car well, is flexible, and won’t peel….plus it is dirt cheap. It is available in most harware stores and home centers. Shop around, the better quality stuff is much thicker and nicer...and at less then $10/roll, who cares about the price?! Grab some decent quality plastic “zip” ties too. An 1/8” or so drill bit makes for easy and adequate attachment locations.

tools and materials....you'll need a drill too.

Start by removing the bumper cover/front fascia. See this thread.

Lay it out on the ground or work bench on a nice big blanket so it won’t get scratched.

Cut yourself a piece of gutter guard a little bigger than necessary, you can trim it later.

less than 3 feet

Drill some holes near the back side of those support ribs in the grill opening.

You prolly won't even notice the holes from the front once you're done.

Do the top (one hole at every "rib")and the corners. Do the side about in the middle. The bottom you can slip the zip tie tru the factory clip.

I did one in the center too.

Lay out the gutter guard and start attaching with small zip ties.

I started in the center and worked my way out. Leave ‘em loose at first, you may need to cut a few off and reattach to get it centered nice.

corner

bottom

Trim off the excess zip tie "tails" after snugin’ them down.

Reinstall the bumper cover and you’re all done.

(You'da thought I woulda remembered an "after pic huh?!)

Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Wow! Nice look!

I had one mine done too for 3 years now and it really needs a new one. one problem i have is i got a cord for the block heater so it really destroys the good look.

Anyways, thanks for the posting, very helpful.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
That looks like one mod I will tackle this spring. Thanks for posting it!!

:food004:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Here's some photo's of mine that I did this afternoon. Because I followed the same directions outlined by ApriliaGuy above, I didn't bother taking photo's of the entire process. Just the finished product.

Like I mentioned above, I bought the aluminum gutter guard, shot it with primer and spray painted it black. Turned out pretty good I think. Total cost: about $7.00

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had one mine done too for 3 years now and it really needs a new one. one problem i have is i got a cord for the block heater so it really destroys the good look.
When you re-do it try leaving one corner 'loose." Maybe you can tuck the heater plug back inside the bumper during the warmer seasons, and fish it out in the winter.

We zippy tie the heater cord & plow plugs/wiring up outa the way on the Ford PowerSmoke Dually I've got at work. Ya never even see 'em 'cept in the winter.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Wow

It is time to redo mine and I like the look with the holes drilled instead of the zips wrapped around.

Thanks all for the pics and posting.:grin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.