Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well OKC got another round of bad weather again tonight. My beloved E got caught in a hailstorm with golf-ball sized hail. She only suffered 2 minor (about half-inch in diameter) hail dings on the hood. They don't look like they're creased so I should be able to get most of them out with dry ice. I would defintely give the E an A for hail survivability.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Nasty weather around here lately!

I'm sorry to hear about your beloved E :cry: :cry: :cry:

If you can't get the dings out.....most insurance covers it!

A few years ago in Chicago my friends Jeep got completely pelted.....her Jeep was in the shop for over a month and in exchange she got a Neon rent a car!!!!

It was so windy here the other night when the tornados were passing through that I told my husband that I was afraid that a tree would fall on my E....I am a paranoid super freak....at least when it comes to BayBEEEEE Blue!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the kind words and advice.

·
Registered
540 Posts
On a Saturday in June, 1996 my vehicle (a 1993-1/2 - pay attention to that half!) Isuzu Rodeo was parked outside my office building.

Tornadoes and very-nearly-tornadic winds were everywhere in Dallas that day. The wind, rain and hail were atrocious. The power failed in the building and we huddled in the interior corridor until someone went to a window and reported it had calmed down outside.

I went out to my car and it looked something you'd expect to see in Bosnia or Mogadishu. Every window in it was gone, except for two, and those two were extremely cracked. The wind had sucked the windows OUT of my vehicle for the most part and used the bits of broken glass to completely scour my car (and another near it) and ruin the paint.

This was Bad. But for all of that - I could see only 3 spots that were obvious hailstone dings.

I drove a Geo Metro for a solid month because they had no replacement window for the 93-1/2 Rodeo. None. They had to ship one from Japan!

Two years later: tornadic winds crashed an immense tree limb on my husband's one week old Toyota Camry.

Bad weather is not a car owner's friend!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ion777, I hope you survive the round of tornados tonight. Per usual, they are headed up the Turnpike to Tulsa where we will have to duck and hide.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No worries - Lon triple seven is back on the air after a little duck and hiding. The tornado missed me by about 1 mile tonight. Feel very fortunate to have no damage to house or family and all utilities are working. Feel very blessed at this time. Time for adult beverage.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By the way Okiebug - cover your ass! and Good Luck!! Keep in touch. its heading your way as of 11:15 PM.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Lon Triple 7, my cousin lives in south east OKC, about 3 miles from that tornado, and the previous one that was a f5 rating in the same location. Dunno if that is close to you, but If you know of John Brassfield, who is a ham radio operator who is with some emergency group, then that is him.

Shaka

Ger

·
Registered
504 Posts
Good luck and prayers to all of you in the areas near those tornadoes. Until I saw the devastation caused by one here in Maryland, I never imagined the incredible deadly power of a tornado.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I got a twister story too! I was drivin home from college the other night in my E. I'm about 30 min from home, I'm drivin through this small town, and it begins to hail. I'm lookin for cover in case it gets worse, I dont want to get stuck out in the country with no caover and big hail. No luck everyone's beat me to the car wash's. So I keep goin slowly, just creeping along hoping the hail doesn't get any bigger. I spot another car wash and turn on my directional signal when all of a sudden a tornadoe siren goes off right by me! It's so freakin loud I almost soiled myself. (Hey the seats are water resistant, I can get away with that now) So I pull underneath the car wash and I'm freakin out. I've always been home in the past when a siren went off. It's pouring rain, I'm running around outside lookin for a ditch or somin to hide in cause I know they don't turn on the sirens unless there's been an actual sighting.

No luck, no ditches.. I'm in town. No one's answering their doors, all the store's are closed, EXCEPT a liquer store. Great... I'm thinkin lot of GLASS. I'd probably be better in the middle of the street, but after a few min of runnin around, tripping on the ground and cutting my knee up pretty bad I had blood running down my leg) I head to the liquer store. The lady who runs the place is hidin in the freezer and tells me to come back there... keep in mind IM SOAKED, so this liquer store idea is lookin dumber and dumber. After quickly attending to my wound with some paper towells I head out again looking for a safer place. Not long after the sirens went off I found a family that despite my completely soaked clothes, happily invited me into their home and helped attend to my wounds, and allowed me to stay there until the the storm had cleared. As we were watching the news they said a twister had torn through the highway about 5-10 miles behind me. A couple of cars on the highway I was on were tossed off the road. I was just happy I'd made it away with a busted knee. No damage to the E that I could find. She just sat in that car wash waiting for me to return.

Man did I feel good about those water resistant seats when I got back in. Just jumped in and hurried home to my nervous parents who were on the phone with me almost the whole time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Lon777

good to hear about your vehicle and it's durability, so to speak, i live right next to Tinker where we didn't have any hail but the tornadoes were mighty close. I do, however, work NW OKC. Last month's hail seemed pretty bad and I am hoping that if/when it comes again, my element won't suffer too much.

·
Registered
9 Posts
if you can get those dents out with dry ice i will give you a hundred dollars i would like to have a before and after pic also one of you doing it!! I do paintless dent repair for a living, stop and think about what you are saying your gonna freze the metal to the point that it shrinks back, setting it out in the sun on a hot day will take them out too, the metal has been stretched it has been displaced the only way to get them out is paintless dent repair (pdr) or body shop i'd go the pdr route

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Last summer I lucked out, my VW was in the shop getting a new trans and I had this Geo Metro rental car. Guess what happened, I was glad that the Jetta was in a safe place at this point, I could not believe the size of the hail that was comming down. These suckers were the size of base balls yes base balls, this car looked like hell lol, you should have seen the guys face at enterprise when I decided I should bring it back right away and get a new one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts