Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the great freak storms we had across Jersey the other week I have a few new additions to my E--3 dents on the roof and a small one on the hood. What is the best way to get this repaired? Do it myself? Get my car insurance to put out for it at a repair shop? At least they are not that noticeable, but I still know they're there. Not once have I had a car get hail damaged, and now my first new car with 3500 miles on it gets some...I guess life is ironic. Hope this doesn't happen to anyone else. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
I hate hail damage. Try to find a reputable paintless dent repair shop and get a quote. I had some hail damage removed from my integra (about 80 dings) and it came out pretty well. It's not worth a repaint or any thing of that nature though. It might not be worth making an ins. claim either since it shouldn't be that bad of an out of pocket expense.

Good luck,
Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
I believe that Dent Wizard has a couple of locations close to you.
You can check out their website for more info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
A common method used in the Mid West is to allow a hail dented vehicle to set out in a hot sunny day for several hours and then hold an ice cube on each dent until it pops out (or doesn't). No guarantee- but you might want to try it. The price is right.
Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the great ideas guys--I appreciate it a lot!

Steve--that idea actually sounds like it might work...and--like you said--the price is right :)

thanks for the help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
It hailed here in Florida and I got to drive in it for about 4 minutes (at about 30 miles an hour). The hail was marble size and sounded like I was in a war zone. I've never experienced driving in hail.

Now, after almost 5 months of owning my new element, it looks like a chicken pox victim. The hood has a bunch of little dents and so does the roof.

I could get a new hood, but what about the roof? Does anyone have any ideas what the cost would be to fix all that? I'm trying to determine if it's worth a claim (and the future insurance hike). I'm also concerned if they total the E, since I don't have GAP insurance. The insurance lady (not a claims person) thought the value was ok the first year (even though the saying goes you lose money when you drive off the lot). I don't mind being a little upside down, but not too much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,214 Posts
Not once have I had a car get hail damaged, and now my first new car with 3500 miles on it gets some...I guess life is ironic.
Nah... new cars are magnets for dings and dents. Every new car I've had over the past ten years (new to me, some were used), has gotten dinged or dented within the first six months... and then never again after that (unless I fix the ding or dent).

I'm just waiting to see what'll happen with the Element... had it since December 17, so I'm quickly approaching that six month mark... of course, I'm assuming the little star crack I got in my windshield doesn't count... or does it?
 

·
Chief Has Been Element Owner
Joined
·
4,759 Posts
groooveman said:
It hailed here in Florida and I got to drive in it for about 4 minutes (at about 30 miles an hour). The hail was marble size and sounded like I was in a war zone. I've never experienced driving in hail.

Now, after almost 5 months of owning my new element, it looks like a chicken pox victim. The hood has a bunch of little dents and so does the roof.

I could get a new hood, but what about the roof? Does anyone have any ideas what the cost would be to fix all that? I'm trying to determine if it's worth a claim (and the future insurance hike). I'm also concerned if they total the E, since I don't have GAP insurance. The insurance lady (not a claims person) thought the value was ok the first year (even though the saying goes you lose money when you drive off the lot). I don't mind being a little upside down, but not too much.
Yea its worth a claim, but it wont hurt you (at least it didnt when I had to have my E fixed last summer dor hail). Cost was something like 2K to do the hood and roof...took about 3 hours for them to do. Insurance covered it all...just had to pay my deductible! And it didnt hurt me cause it went under the non-fault/weather category or something.

Maybe my price is off...I cant really remember, it happened last August.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
i am in the paintless dent repair business and i would have it repaired using that process. (of course i could just fix it myself :) ) pdr is far superior to paint and body. if pdr is done properly you should never even know you had hail and it should not affect resale value. anytime you paint a car you can always spot signs of the repair and that will lower your resale. and you would be amazed at the severity of hail and door dents that can be repaired. are you in the daytona area? i talked to a friend of mine who said it hailed there the other day. lots of hail guys working in florida this year. i think the pensacola area got hit earlier this year too. oh and hail falls under your comprehension side of your policy so your deductible could be different and making a claim will not raise your rates. the elements are easy to repair hail on. the hoods are wide open and the headliners are easy to drop to access the roof and the fenders are also wide open. the only difficult area to repair a dent on are the rear doors. they are completly braced for impact and strength, and can only be accessed by removing the door panel (which is easy) and even then, if the dent is too big or in the wrong spot they are still tough. there is a large seat belt mech. that blocks a lot of access. hope this info is helpful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Hey tdent1,

Thank you for your informative post.

Is there some sort of association or governing body over the Paintless Dent Repair (PDR) industry? The reason I ask is I have seen some PDR people who are just amazing at what they do. And some I have seen struggle and don't always do a great job.

How can people find a good PDR person in thier area. Is it like mechanics who are ASE certified? Or is it really based on experience and the consumer needs to ask the right questions?

Just curious.


Joe Mama
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
601 Posts
Well if it were me i would definately have it repaired. It is covered under your comprehensive part of your insurance. Not your collision. (which is what hikes up your ins.) Comprehensive covers all your differenet weather related damage, rock pings, vandalism....ect. Basically anything that is not a collision. I just found out all of this from my insurance agent (state farm). I have always been concerned about my glass.....like everyone else who has a E. So i asked him about zero deductable glass coverage. He told me that glass breakage is covered under comprehensive, which i had a $500 deductable. Now my deductable is Zero and my premium for a 2005 Element and 2004 Accord went up $70 per year. I think a little over 5 bucks a month is worth that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
currently there is no governing body or any real certification. i have been doing this for over ten years and have seen many people and groups try to start some sort of quality control but none has really taken. there are a few now trying to get going so we'll see. those are "vale certification" and i think "pars" has some sort of certification. and of course the wal-mart of dent repair "dent wizard" i think is trying to use their power and size to start some sort of control( but i question their motives $) but those are not widespread, so you might have trouble finding someone in your area that has that cert. if you have hail you may have your insurance refer you to someone and if its door dents then you may try someone who has a freestanding location and has been in business for many years (not that you can't do pdr mobile, because you can, but at least w/ a location you know where to go back to if you have any issues)or check w/ a local dealer. especially a high end dealer( porsche or lexus etc.) because they tend to be very critical about who they use. referals are also a good way to find somebody good and of course the bbb. its not nessesarily the size of a dent but the depth. depth = stretched metal. very tough to repair. also dents on panel edges and body lines are difficult. 95% of all hail can be repaired succesfully using pdr. and most minor door dents are also not a problem. minor meaning fist size or smaller. it is a great process that a lot of people still are not that familiar with and i agree that we need some sort of cert and quality control. our future and credibility depends on it. plus your doing good things for the enviroment ie: no painting=chemicals in the air & water, no replacing panels= less metal in junk yards or landfills(if it doen't get recycled) and best of all it costs less than body work :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
tdent1 said:
i am in the paintless dent repair business and i would have it repaired using that process. (of course i could just fix it myself :) ) pdr is far superior to paint and body. if pdr is done properly you should never even know you had hail and it should not affect resale value. anytime you paint a car you can always spot signs of the repair and that will lower your resale. and you would be amazed at the severity of hail and door dents that can be repaired. are you in the daytona area? i talked to a friend of mine who said it hailed there the other day. lots of hail guys working in florida this year. i think the pensacola area got hit earlier this year too. oh and hail falls under your comprehension side of your policy so your deductible could be different and making a claim will not raise your rates. the elements are easy to repair hail on. the hoods are wide open and the headliners are easy to drop to access the roof and the fenders are also wide open. the only difficult area to repair a dent on are the rear doors. they are completly braced for impact and strength, and can only be accessed by removing the door panel (which is easy) and even then, if the dent is too big or in the wrong spot they are still tough. there is a large seat belt mech. that blocks a lot of access. hope this info is helpful.
Yeah, believe every word (no sarcasm whatsoever) this guy says!

I have followed a few guys around who do this type of work & they are truly the closest thing I know to magicians! From what I've seen, they come up to your car w/ metal rods & hooks & 20-30 minutes later, your car is fixed! You really have to see it to believe it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
thanks! :) it's really just a metal working craft. basically, lights or some kind of refective line or board to see the dents, the proper tool selection for the dent and then pressure in the right spots at the right times. of coarse it's much more difficult and involved than that, but that is a good way to visualize it. sometimes the hardest part is accessing the dents.( getting your tool behind the dent).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
Hey, tdent1,

How about going over to the soundproofing thread (http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13929) and helping those guys out with a tutorial on headliner removal? And, more importantly, replacement!

This seems to be a step that everyone is afraid to tackle. I'm sure that help from a professional would really help this mod progress.
 

·
Chief Has Been Element Owner
Joined
·
4,759 Posts
WartHog said:
Hey, tdent1,

How about going over to the soundproofing thread (http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13929) and helping those guys out with a tutorial on headliner removal? And, more importantly, replacement!

This seems to be a step that everyone is afraid to tackle. I'm sure that help from a professional would really help this mod progress.
Yea that alone is making me not want to put in my overhead DVD
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top