Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I actually picked it up yesterday, but it still smells like a new car :grin:

anyway, anybody else notice the turn signal stem being really touchy flashing the high beams when indicating a right turn? After practicing (yes, it took some practice...) I can indicate a right hand turn without flashing the brights maybe 75% of the time but I've had a few other people try it (including a few honda drivers) and everybody says something isnt right there. I don't think there's any 'getting used to it' about it... not after plopping down all that money for a new car.

Anyway, just wondering if anybody noticed a 'break in' period before I raise hell at the dealership tomorrow.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I purchased a 10 PMM EX 4WD w/nav a couple weeks back and now have about 800 miles on it. I don't notice any issue with the turn signal being sensitive, you might want to have it checked out.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I've had mine over a month now and I haven't noticed it either. As a matter of fact, I don't think I've had the brights on before.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
..........notice the turn signal stem being really touchy flashing the high beams when indicating a right turn? After practicing (yes, it took some practice...) I can indicate a right hand turn without flashing the brights maybe 75% of the time...........
Have you tried to drive without wearing yer oven mits??? :)

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've done this with my '09....for me it was just user error! :grin:

Reactions: Mike1953

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went to the dealership to have them try it and they agreed that it's too touchy. It's going into the service center on Saturday now since the service center was already closed... I've also developed a very consistent rattle somewhere in the front passenger seat. Am I wrong in assuming it's not out of line to demand that be checked out/fixed in a car less than a week old?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Definitely not out of line to ask! If something does not seem right, asking and having them check it out never hurts.

·
Retired.
12,183 Posts
I went to the dealership to have them try it and they agreed that it's too touchy. It's going into the service center on Saturday now since the service center was already closed... I've also developed a very consistent rattle somewhere in the front passenger seat. Am I wrong in assuming it's not out of line to demand that be checked out/fixed in a car less than a week old?

You the right to expect them to inspect anything that goes wrong with your vehicle during the warranty period....They just prefer that you do not demand it. :roll:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I actually picked it up yesterday, but it still smells like a new car :grin:
IMO, that's more annoying than your turn signal and rattle issues. I've some hounds that can help you out with that problem, if you wish. :grin:

Congrats on your new E, and here's to hoping your dealer gets those issues resolved quickly. Annoyances, yes - but doesn't sound like anything too bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had same issue

I had the same issue from the time I took delivery with brights engaging any time used the turn signals. Took it in to dealer and they had to replace the headlight switch. At 2300 miles now and all is still good.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I had the same issue from the time I took delivery with brights engaging any time used the turn signals. Took it in to dealer and they had to replace the headlight switch. At 2300 miles now and all is still good.

Hope this helps.
Glad to hear you were taken care of and that you're happy with your new E...! Congrats and may she provide you with many years of service and enjoyment...! Now Seirk, go to the "Greets and Intros" section and post some pics of that new and shiny NBP E so you can get your official EOC welcomes...!!! I'm sure your older NBP sisters would want to look at pics of the new kid on the block...!

Happy modding...!

LBD

·
Registered
517 Posts
My 2010 brights would turn on anytime I used the turn signal too only if the low beams were on and only about 40 percent of the time. Sometimes the high beams would be on for a few seconds to half a minute. I flashed oncoming traffic and a few cops here and there by accident. My local dealer after many attempts reproduced my problem and replaced the turn signal stalk. All has been good since. My passenger seat rattles at times too when no one is sitting in it. When I moved it up and tilted it back a notch or two the rattle would go away so try that.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My 2010 brights would turn on anytime I used the turn signal too only if the low beams were on and only about 40 percent of the time. Sometimes the high beams would be on for a few seconds to half a minute. I flashed oncoming traffic and a few cops here and there by accident. My local dealer after many attempts reproduced my problem and replaced the turn signal stalk. All has been good since. My passenger seat rattles at times too when no one is sitting in it. When I moved it up and tilted it back a notch or two the rattle would go away so try that.

100% about the passenger seat. My 07 does it too. It doesnt rattle if someone sits in the seat or if the seat is all the way back. I never had a turn signal/hi beam issue...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
update time.

I'm STILL trying to get rid of that passenger seat rattle. I've been trying to stuff little foam blocks around in the seat suspension to see if i can get it to stop to no avail. I've tried moving the seat all over the place, no luck...

something I noticed today that I haven't noticed before -
It seems with the E in park, pressing the brake to shift into gear there's a 'click'/'clunk' coming from in the shifter (I assume it's just the shift lock safety mechanism engaging/disengaging...) but it's a noticeable noise now where it wasn't before. I'm not sure whether or not this is normal or if I've got a problem starting to manifest itself. Maybe it's my driving habit causing it? I tend to shift the E into neutral when going down long steep hills to prevent the E from downshifting for motor aided brake (stupid IMO). The manual says you should be pressing the brake when making any gear changes and I have't been between neutral and drive or vice versa... maybe I'm damaging the gearbox? I've never owned an automatic, let alone a brand new, finicky, drive by wire system auto... so I'm not really sure if I'm screwing the transmission up.

Should I be worried? anybody else notice the noise?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just explain your concerns or problems to the service department in a calm, courteous, and business like way, and I'm sure they will do their best to fix your Element and make you happy. After all....they get paid to do warranty work. It's business for them, so they want to do it. You don't need to take an aggressive position with them. It might backfire. I don't know the details, but how they get rated on the consumer surveys after you visit them determines to some extent how they get paid. They want (and need) a perfect rating from you.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I tend to shift the E into neutral when going down long steep hills to prevent the E from downshifting for motor aided brake (stupid IMO).

Should I be worried? anybody else notice the noise?
Second question... on my 05' its kind of noisy shifting it into gear... but thats how most automatics are i think... what youre hearing is all mechanical stuffs i would think... nothing to worry about.

as far as putting it in neutral down a hill... i watch the RPMs and when im going down hill with foot off the gas... no downshifting... You only get motor aided brake if youre in "1" or "2" as far as i know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Second question... on my 05' its kind of noisy shifting it into gear... but thats how most automatics are i think... what youre hearing is all mechanical stuffs i would think... nothing to worry about.

as far as putting it in neutral down a hill... i watch the RPMs and when im going down hill with foot off the gas... no downshifting... You only get motor aided brake if youre in "1" or "2" as far as i know.
Its not the act of shifting into gear that is making noise. It's the act of pressing the brake that releases the solenoid blocking you from shifting into gear from park. It's a new noise in my car (among many :roll: ) which is what had me worried.

It's a good 25 degree incline or more, and probably a half mile or longer. They're all 30-35mph hills with sunday drivers (at all times of the week) going anywhere between 5 and 10mph under the speed limit. So at that point, the transmission HAS shifted down to 2nd and the RPM is up around 5 grand after lurching into the downshift. It's just annoying... so i just shift into neutral

1 - 20 of 21 Posts