Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago I got one of the 4x8 foldable utility trailers from Harbor Freight on sale. It is the largest foldable one available, 1175 lbs capacity I think.

I was putting it together this weekend and noticed a faulty weld. On each front side rail, where the rail from the hitch arms attach, there is a bracket welded to the side rail. These are just a couple inches wide and should be welded along their length on two sides. One of these brackets had one side welded fine, and the other with just a tack. Since this is where a lot of force is transferred from the trailer deck to the hitch coupler arms, having a bad weld is not something I would want.

Going back to the store later and will update on the results.

If anyone else has one of these trailers, you may want to check yours.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have bought several things from Harbor Freight and came to the conclusion that everything they sell is nothing but junk.

·
Registered
873 Posts
not everything but almost.it kinda depends on how deep your pockets are and how long you want it to last. so far these days it seems that everything is junk,no mater where you get it or how much you paid. fix it before you use it. the only thing that I can think of that we have bought that hasent had any problems or caused any,or did not need repairing before use is my daughters toyota prius .

·
Registered
118 Posts
I can think of that we have bought that hasent had any problems or caused any,or did not need repairing before use is my daughters toyota prius .
^^I wouldn't hold my breath on that one!:grin:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I too have that trailer and after reading your post I examined mine very, very carefully and completely. I found no cracked or faulty welds. I have however had tire problems on my last 2 EOC Camping trips. While caravaning with other E's to Lake Tahoe I had a blow-out on the right rear tire and again 5 months later had a bubble (pre-blow-out) on my way to EOC Camping at Death Valley.
I will be looking for a high speed tire, 65 - 75 mph.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back at the store last night... I did swap out the piece, and the new one is better, but not to my satisfaction. One side is welded nicely, the other seems to be tacked in 3 places. So I will take the part to get it welded somewhere. It will be better than new afterward. If the entire trailer wasn't so cheap, mostly assembled, and not going to be used very much, I might have considered returning it.

Incidentally, the display model also had the same 3 spot welds.

Also planning on putting that green slime stuff in the tires.

Bottom line
1. You get what you pay for.
2. Inspect yours and fix it if the same.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
My little trailer in Death Valley and Yellowstone.
I'm going to change out the wheels this week-end and repack the wheel bearings. Maybe some touch-up paint.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts