Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello- I think this is my first post though we are a two E family. The newer acquisition is 2006 EX-P, 2wd with 160k miles. We got it cheap ($1500) with a couple of minor issues which were resolved quickly. Over the last couple of months it has been having hard starts. Turning the key to the first position I could hear the fuel pump kick on, but it would not quite fire. Initially it would do this one time and then fire correctly, usually just when cold. The problem has grown with repeated stumbling starting, even when warm. I replaced the fuel pump/filter unit tonight and it did not help.

In addition to the fuel pump replacement, I've replaced the fuel injectors (Denso), plugs (NGK), and done a valve adjustment (huge change in fuel efficiency). Prior to doing the above actions I was getting a cylinder 1 misfire, but have not been getting errors during the current issue. The battery is new and fully charged.

I have not checked the ground wire as I've noted in other threads being an issue. Other threads indicate issues with ECU sensor possibly contributing to similar issues. I'd appreciate any advice or insights to this problem. Once running it sounds great and there does not seem to be issues. Stumbling on start seems more like a fuel or firing issue. Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Cold? As in colder weather or cold engine ?

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,317 Posts
I just went through a crank - no start situation. It began as a problem starting after shutting down. If my daughter tried to start it a few minutes later, it would crank but not fire. She would crank it several times until the cranking slowed or even stopped. If she waited another 10-15 minutes, it would start normally. We tried some troubleshooting, but couldn't repeat the issue until a couple weeks later, it wouldn't even crank after just stopping for gas. New starter corrected the issue (so far).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could be bad ignition coils. If you replace them, go OEM (Denso brand).
Thanks! Somehow I mistyped above...I replaced the coils not the injectors. I did use the spec'd Denso ones. I had no problems for 6-8 weeks following replacement. Potential that there is a bad one in the mix. I'll try to upload a video of the issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I started experiencing this right in the middle of a cross country trip from AZ to DC last year. At somewhere around the midway point coming through Conway, Arkansas I pulled over for gas. After fueling up and getting snacks, My 2007 EX refused to start anymore.
Thankfully the fine folks at Honda World in Conway were able to quickly diagnose the issue. Failed starter. $800 later and I was back on the road. Not having any tools with me (we were moving) or anywhere to work on my E was a bummer. However, thankfully it was a relatively easy fix that only cost me 12 hours or so overall delay in the journey.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a video clip of starting. The first is with cold engine. The second is warm. Both times it started with relative ease compared with some episodes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts