Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
08 EX Atomic Blue
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically the title - I keep hearing about cats getting stolen. It would be at least $2k to replace OEM, or $200 for a cat cover (plus install, which might push it to $300. I’m nearly positive that my insurance paying for me to have one installed makes business sense, but I also know that insurance companies don’t always make sense in general. I also don’t really want to launch a bump in my insurance premiums if they really look into how prevalent this is for elements in particular. Not sure how realistic that is though.

Anyway, I can’t have been the first person to think of this - has anyone on here tried to work something out with their insurer to get a catalytic converter box installed pre-theft? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
597 Posts
I had inquired about any discounts for adding cat theft deterrents from AAA insurance. No discounts. I added the deterrent anyway.

·
Registered
267 Posts
A good idea but unfortunately, the only time you get a preemptive discount is when the insurance company deems it so. If they had a enough thefts, they might partner with a company that makes protective devices, and then give you a discount to purchase one. And if it still got stolen, would reimburse you 100%. But until then, we can all dream. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2004 honda element EX
4 Posts
If you pay 2k for a oem cat then your getting ripped off. I work at Auto Value and the cat and pipe are $500 and change. With my discount much cheaper.
Hand tool Tool Font Metalworking hand tool Line

·
Registered
2004 EX AWD AT
24 Posts
My mechanic suggested his shop weld a heavy steel cable onto my new one, after OEM was stolen. When I asked my ins-agent, he thought it was a great idea, but no, they would not cover the extra cost; I then asked if I could get some sort of discount for having an anti-theft device, and the response was, makes sense, but, no. Safeco paid $1400 for the stolen cat & sensor replacements; I paid the $100 for the cable, and the $100 deductible. Altho the cable deterred the 2nd thief, he still cut the cat off, the sensor cables, but gave up trying to saw though the added steel cable- still, a $600 repair, and I had a 2nd steel cable added.

·
Registered
5 Posts
"I keep hearing about cats getting stolen. It would be at least $2k to replace OEM, or $200 for a cat cover (plus install, which might push it to $300.
In my opinion, it's worth it just to pay for the cover yourself. Especially this time of year. They got mine just before Thanksgiving last November. I even looked outside and saw them parked next to my car just after dark after hearing the electric saw, but didn't know what was happening until after they were gone about 30 seconds later. It does a lot of damage. I'm sure some person here will tell you they got their CAT replaced for $3 and pack of gum. But my bill at the main Honda dealership in a midsized Midwest city was about $3,000 after haggling with them. That is with a non-OEM part. The OEM CAT I was told was like $5k just for the part. Because it contains several very rare earth metals. Which is why they want it. These cars are old, which means some of the piping and connections might be rusted, which means you're not going to just be replacing the CAT. They'll also try to tell you the two O2 sensors need to be replaced. Those are like $120-200+ each. They get yanked on hard when it's taken, if not taken along with it entirely. It was an expensive and stressful several day ordeal to get it fixed and if I had known this was a thing that happened, I'd happily paid some guy $200-$300 to stick a cage around it so I could forget about it. I heard they stole about 200 of them from various car models in my city alone. I saw a statistic that there were about 14,000 CATs stolen in 2020 and that it was a big increase over what it usually is. I dunno. Best of luck to you whatever you decide. Just sharing my story.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My catalytic converter was stolen 2 weeks ago. Got the aftermarket, 1800.00. Insurance did not pay for protective cover, 350.00. Does anyone know if car will pass smog test with the aftermarket converter. Tow truck driver said it might not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When my CAT was stolen this past spring, the insurance company offered me $1800. The Honda dealer did not want to do the job at any price.

The Honda CAT price was insane ($3200). What was worse, none were available in the USA.

I got an estimate of Honda OEM parts and submitted it to the insurance company. They issued a check for the total amount the next day.

I went with the Walker California CAT. I figured it contained more metals. Painted it with high temp paint. Then cured the paint. Replaced both O2 Sensors with original mfg. supplier parts.

After it was installed I installed the Cat Security. It will slow down a thief. I live in the Hot Desert, and there was no indication of the area over heating. I drive 85 to 100 MPH at 100+ ambient air temp.

One bolt, pipe to exhaust manifold broke. His was despite PB Blaster for a week and torch heat applied. I can imagine what you rust belt owners go through. Had to remove the manifold to extract it. Not an easy job at all. I cleaned up the manifold and also painted and cured it.

I replace all the exhaust rubber hangers while I was there messing with everything.

Doing the job correctly along with prep, paint, and cure took time. It was worth it in the end. The Walker Cat did change the exhaust tone.

Five months later it all still looks great. Ready for another 14 years of service.

Brion S.
2008 Element

·
Registered
14 Posts
When my CAT was stolen this past spring, the insurance company offered me $1800. The Honda dealer did not want to do the job at any price.

The Honda CAT price was insane ($3200). What was worse, none were available in the USA.

I got an estimate of Honda OEM parts and submitted it to the insurance company. They issued a check for the total amount the next day.

I went with the Walker California CAT. I figured it contained more metals. Painted it with high temp paint. Then cured the paint. Replaced both O2 Sensors with original mfg. supplier parts.

After it was installed I installed the Cat Security. It will slow down a thief. I live in the Hot Desert, and there was no indication of the area over heating. I drive 85 to 100 MPH at 100+ ambient air temp.

One bolt, pipe to exhaust manifold broke. His was despite PB Blaster for a week and torch heat applied. I can imagine what you rust belt owners go through. Had to remove the manifold to extract it. Not an easy job at all. I cleaned up the manifold and also painted and cured it.

I replace all the exhaust rubber hangers while I was there messing with everything.

Doing the job correctly along with prep, paint, and cure took time. It was worth it in the end. The Walker Cat did change the exhaust tone.

Five months later it all still looks great. Ready for another 14 years of service.

Brion S.
2008 Element
Sweet. What insurance do you have? I want to make sure my CAT is covered.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts