Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happened to be out on the highway the other day and noticed a wind noise that seemed to be comming from under the dashboard. Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so can you comment on the source of the air leak?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've had the same issue.
Doesn't happen all of the time, more frequently on windy days I think.

Maybe the windshield is loose?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased an Ex in April 2005 with a roof rack and I have a wind noise all the time. Took it to dealer and they claimed that it must be from the roof rack. Hard to believe. I ask another E owner with rack if he had problem and he said no. Any ideas?

·
Registered
36 Posts
ulyssesulysses said:
I purchased an Ex in April 2005 with a roof rack and I have a wind noise all the time. Took it to dealer and they claimed that it must be from the roof rack. Hard to believe. I ask another E owner with rack if he had problem and he said no. Any ideas?
People have written about racks making wind noise, try using the search feature. I just got a bunch of hits with the following search

rack AND wind

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
ulyssesulysses said:
Make sure the rack are pointed in the right direction. They are shaped like an airplane wing, thicker in the front and tapered slightly in the back. Others have had their racks installed backwards either by the dealer or themselves and have reported windnoise before they realized the racks were flipped. For what it's worth, I've had the Honda rack installed for about 2 years now and never noticed any increased wind noise. Even now I have four lights mounted to the front rack and still no additional noise.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
When I've had wind noise from under the dash it was usually preceded with a lunch with beans.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Element Art said:
When I've had wind noise from under the dash it was usually preceded with a lunch with beans.
Damn. Beat by a minute.

I was gonna say mine appears to be coming from under the seat.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Kayakin' Dan said:
Damn. Beat by a minute.

I was gonna say mine appears to be coming from under the seat.
Nah, Dan yours usually appears to be coming from your keyboard. :p

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just ot my E 2 days ago anf it was the same one I test drove. I also had horrible wind noise and the only difference between the time I test drove it and drove it off the lot was the roof rack. I was going to remove the rack and when I did I noticed that it was installed backwards!!! I turned it around and the noise is gone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine whistles very badly. If its a calm day I can get up to 70 MPH before is happens. If its a windy day, it can do it as low as 30 MPH (and it gets very windy here in North Yorkshire England!). As I have no roof rack and the sound is coming from the dash, I am curious if its do to my windscreen being replaced by a non-Honda part.

Has anyone experiencing this noise had their windscreen replaced?

·
Registered
1 Posts
All,

I believe that I may have the answer you seek. I had the same problem usually at speeds over 45 MPH and traveling West against the wind. Then one day my windshield got cracked and I had to have it replaced.

While I was at the glass repair shop, I watched them install a new windshield. As they had the dash exposed on the outside and the inside I noticed some broken fasteners and I asked them about them. they told me that after a few short weeks that on the Elements, the car shifts and stuff and the fasteners break. Similar to a new house "settling" after 5 years.

The fasteners that break are in 2 places. on the inside dash below the top and in the top of the engine compartment. The bottom line culprit is this. The "cowlings" that fasten to the bottom of the windshield.

After getting my windshield fixed I ran my Element back to the dealer and forced them to track down the problem. After 4 seperate trips they told me it was the cowlings. They ordered a new set, installed them and I still had the same problem. What they did them was they injected something similar to an epoxy into the bottom and sides of the cowlings. That's what fixed the whistling of wind.

Bottom line is that they have no standard cure, but that's what the dealer did for me and I haven't had the problem since. The bottom plastic cowlings, some epoxy or caulk and a prayer. That sound was driving nuts! P.S. They don't typically replace those broken fasteners since they'd have to dismantle part of the dash board to get at all of them when they break. Good luck.

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts