Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Element.....noticed the OEM dome light gets crazy hot so I decide to replace with LED. First I bought from Ebay and they sent a pack of eight assorted lights and none fit. They said they get their info from a reliable source blah blah blah......so now I am assuming that there are a couple slightly different dome lights in our cars...they might look the same but maybe the metal connector spacing is different. Anyway I head to the junk yard to investigate and find all with the same set up and OEM bulb. Then off to Autozone to buy a Sylvania LED bulb.....looks perfect in the store but get it home and install it only to find that the pointy ends of the new bulb just make it a little to short to snap firmly in place. How can this be??? A major company selling in a reputable auto parts store and they have invested all of this time and money into research and development and the thing doesnt fit??? Is it just me???? Tell me the scoop people......

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
I like Diode Dynamics. They don't list the dome light but perhaps if you contact them you could send them one of yours and they could match it to another one. Good luck.

·
Registered
MM 2005 EX, AT southwest WI
556 Posts
Two things: First, you want a 40mm festoon LED bulb. Much of what is sold as compatible for the E is 42mm or 41mm, a pretty tight fit between the clips. Second, all the festoons that I have bought have endcaps that are smaller in diameter than the OEMs. You can squeeze the clips in but my OEM bulb endcaps come off easily and fit snugly over the LED festoon endcaps to give a perfect fit in the clips.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies....i will look into both suggestions. It just baffles me that these companies are not making a direct fit replacement. I actually did what Mary suggested already but its not my style.....I like parts to fit and fit right. I took my OEM bulb and crushed the glass in my vice then gutted the 2 end caps and put them over the pointy end caps of my new Sylvania bulb......but that would make most any purist cringe........not to mention the connection could cause " resistance " and pop a fuse. I think I will fill my end caps with solder connection the 2 end cap pieces and making a solid connection but still dont feel good about it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
if it's not led i wouldn't do what i did below. dunno if the sylvania bulb you bought was led or not but if it wasn't then i'd take them out. the oem bulbs eat too much energy and get too hot...go led

check this out. i switched to led map and dome lights. didn't realize, at the time of ordering, maps and domes were different sizes so i only ordered 4, 31mm 6 leds, for $2.50. found out that 9mm brass shells make the perfect extension to allow the 31mm to work in the 42mm dome.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very clever......ya see we are all having to do some wacky stuff for a stupid dome light. This shouldnt be rocket science.
Yes the ones that I ordered off of Ebay and Auto Zone were both LED........Yes the OEM bulbs get crazy hot...I am surprised they dont melt the lens.....
Brass shells ......very clever....

·
Registered
119 Posts
I used a Sylvania for mine front and back, no issues. I can't off the top of my head remember the bulb number, but it was the conversion.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya the Sylvania is the correct retro fit.....as it says on the package....however it did not fit my light correctly. The ends are pointy where I really need them to be squared off so they snap in firm.....mine are loose....not good. Hard to believe that some dome lights might have metal clips closer together then my 2003....but very possible.

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Just got mine from superbright LEDS and they fit great in both my 04 and my 05 (when I took them to the new ride).

Want me to measure them excluding the cone part?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Just got mine from superbright LEDS and they fit great in both my 04 and my 05 (when I took them to the new ride).

Want me to measure them excluding the cone part?
Can you post a link to the bulbs you bought or else the part #? I'd love to upgrade mine but have been hesitant given all the uncertainly about proper fit that has been expressed.

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Ive had them for about 3 years. I think I actually bought them from the other US LED distributor that superbright purchased. "SUPERILUMINATION" maybe? I just remember buying based on their stated dimensions.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies........so my car is an 03....I have been to several junk yards and even purchased a replacement dome light fixture from a junk yard but I am not sure what year that car was....if it was also an 03 then that would make sense. Anyway....like I said I bought the supposed to be correct Sylvania and it is not long enough to snap firmly in place due to the pointy ends vs the squared off end that the OEM bulb has. The Sylvania would have been the correct length but the pointy ends are the reason that it would not snap in correctly. I will include a pic of one of my OEM bulbs with measurements..............if u guys measure yours and yours has a pointy end then I would appreciate the measurement to the end of the glass and the measurement to the point. It looks like mine is an inch and a half....fyi

Thanks 20180705_092000.jpg

20180730_161308.jpg

20180730_161238.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
This won't make a ton of sense unless you look at the photo.

OK, so what I have in mine is a festoon bulb with 10mm diameter end caps that step down to 8mm and are each 10mm wide (8mm where it's flat)

From point to point it's 42mm. if you don't count the cones on the end it's 38mm.

I seem to have blown the one while measuring it (forgot that the calipers are metal) and I think I'll replace it with this: It's different, but looks like it will fit:

-https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/festoon-series-bulbs/3910-can-bus-led-bulb-6-smd-led-festoon-bulb-39mm/4880/11049/

I also think the 4210 might fit and has a few more options.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for measuring for me and providing link info......I just did a quick google on and inch and a half in mm and it said 38mm not counting the odd tips on my OEM......now I am very curious what my Sylvania measures....will get that for u tomorrow. Sorry u blew out a LED trying to help me :( Lesson learned huh.......never thought calipers could do that but certainly makes sense......my calipers are cheapos....they are plastic so now I think that is a good thing. I just use mine to measure my watches for straps...

Thanks again...

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
No worries. LED is cheap. I could have relearned that lesson on something much spendier. I even was too much of a hoarder to toss the incandescents from the swap. They were still in the glovebox.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
it's interesting that it labelled as a 43mm bulb.

the problem in finding a fit is related to the design of the bulb to fit as many applications as possible (so as to make it as inexpensive as possible). sometimes the bulb is held by U clamps that grab the can shaped ends and sometimes the bulb is grabbed by spring metal that only touches the points of the cone ends. the relative slope of the cone and the amount of can at the ends of the bulb determines whether the bulb will work in a particular application. so, only knowing the total length of the bulb will not be sufficient to guarantee a fit into our Elements.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts