Honda Element Owners Club banner

Oil Change Interval?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at 6800 miles after 5 months. Most of my trips are around 25 miles. I was going to follow the normal maintenance and get my first oil change at 10K. Has ANYONE else waited for 10,000 miles? I see most of the people who have posted in the oil change threads did theirs at 5K.

·
Registered
208 Posts
[quote:da1bd053ec=" "]I am at 6800 miles after 5 months. Most of my trips are around 25 miles. I was going to follow the normal maintenance and get my first oil change at 10K. Has ANYONE else waited for 10,000 miles? I see most of the people who have posted in the oil change threads did theirs at 5K.[/quote:da1bd053ec]
I did. Make certain you check the oil level as I found it getting a wee bit low as I approached 10K.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I waited til 8K, the dipstick really started to look dirty at that point, I couldn't wait another 2K.

Now I'm running Mobil 1 and will change every 10-15K.

·
Registered
156 Posts
[quote:37f0e0b341=" "]I waited til 8K, the dipstick really started to look dirty at that point, I couldn't wait another 2K.

Now I'm running Mobil 1 and will change every 10-15K.[/quote:37f0e0b341]

Did you notice any mpg idfference with the use of Mobil 1?

·
Registered
447 Posts
My forward plan is to change the oil and filter every December, about 10,000 miles.

0W20 Mobil 1 Synthetic
15400-PLM-A01 Honda Filter

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I decided to go for it at 5000 miles for my first change, using standard Castrol 5-20W.

Interesting thing I am wondering about is my dealership STRESSED that you should NOT SWITCH to synthetic oil until 10, 000 miles. Which obviously isn't a problem if you don't do your first change until then.

Of course, regarding questionable credibility, I believe they recommended the first change at (and definitely NOT before) 3000 miles.

All sorts of opinions seem to abound on what should be simple science on this one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I did- but my Element only made it to about 7k before I had to add a full quart of oil to bring it back into the "safe" level on the dipstick.

I waited as long as I could is because I wanted to keep the "special" break-in oil as long as possible. I kept the break in oil in my (owned since new) 1989 CRX Si until it's first required service at 7500 miles (actually, i left it in there until over 9,000 miles because I slipped on the maintenance) and the results were more than outstanding- I now have over 300,000 miles on that motor, the compression is still good across all cylinders, a recent dyno proved it still has more power than other 1.6 SOHC Honda motors, and I average nearly 40mpg per tank. I wouldn't be surprised if the motor gets over 400,000 without a rebuild.

I'm not saying that keeping the break-in oil is the sole reason for the motor's longevity, because after the first service, I did follow all manufacturer's recommended service, as well as changed the oil the best I could every 3,000 miles.

To get back on the Element, since the oil level was so low, I complained to Service when I brought it in for the 10k service. They recommended that they do an "oil consumption test". We will wait and see if the oil that's in their will still be in the "safe" level when I get my oil change at 15,000 miles. I am now at 14,400 miles, so I can post the results when I find out.

·
Registered
135 Posts
[quote:3adc584b17=" "]Interesting thing I am wondering about is my dealership STRESSED that you should NOT SWITCH to synthetic oil until 10, 000 miles. Which obviously isn't a problem if you don't do your first change until then.

Of course, regarding questionable credibility, I believe they recommended the first change at (and definitely NOT before) 3000 miles.

All sorts of opinions seem to abound on what should be simple science on this one.[/quote:3adc584b17]

There is no exact science on this one, but the common theories are that dyno juice is much better at breaking in an engine than synthetic. Each person that says that uses different arguments all of which I can't remember. Some say that the non-synthetic oil lubricates the seals better, allows the containmenants from manufacturing run more smoothly to the filter, etc. Some, so much believe in that theory that even when the car comes from the factory as in a Mitsubishi Evolution with synthetic oil, folks are draining and changing out to non-synthetic motor oil for the break in period and switching back to Mobil 1 that originally came within the car at the first recommended oil change.

If Honda has such belief in the oil that they put into the Element that they don't recommend the first oil change until 10K miles, then I wouldn't worry about it and pay the extra money for something that you can't prove will do better and perhaps worse.

I'm a firm believer in synthetic oil as being superior to dyno-juice, but I don't see the worth in an engine such as the one in the Element that is not running the majority of it's life within an inch of it's maximum performance level.

I think waiting until 10K miles or the first year to switch over to synthetic oil will be more than adequate. Honda can't come back and complain on a warranty claim that you did something wrong, you'll know that your engine is fully broken in and it's more than likely if something was wrong it would of showed up by then.

Obviously this is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. I know we all want to do what's best for our vehicles, but also think what makes practical overall sense and not just bowing down to a marketers dream of you spending more money every 3K miles.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
[quote:e7cfde8de9=" "]No significant lost of oil, maybe 1/4 - 1/2 of a quart at the most.[/quote:e7cfde8de9]

Checked mine this morning. More than a quart low at under 5000 miles. The color was very nice, though. Added a quart. I will wait 'til 9-10,000 miles. Unless I go ahead and get one of my freebies when I get my wiper washer pump fixed...

Bill

·
Registered
388 Posts
[quote:c5c8b13a69=" "][quote:c5c8b13a69=" "]I waited til 8K, the dipstick really started to look dirty at that point, I couldn't wait another 2K.

Now I'm running Mobil 1 and will change every 10-15K.[/quote:c5c8b13a69]

Did you notice any mpg idfference with the use of Mobil 1?[/quote:c5c8b13a69]

Yes, but it wasn't because of the Mobil 1, it was more that the old oil was getting dark and thick. Any oil I put in after that would have given me better gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I'll probably wait until 10K.

·
Registered
2 Posts
even though dealers won't say you have to good idea is to change the oil the FIRST time at around 500 miles due to metal fragments from motor setting into its wear pattern.

1 - 20 of 181 Posts